PDA

View Full Version : Wide-Bay Burnett fishers net big fine

Fisheries Queensland
26-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Queensland Government
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

26 June 2013
Wide-Bay Burnett fishers net big fine

Two men have been convicted and fined for separate fisheries offences in Bundaberg Magistrates Court.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) District Manager Greg Bowness said collectively the men were fined $20 500.

“A Thabeban man was convicted of selling illegal fish and crabs and fined $12 500,” Mr Bowness said.

“QBFP executed a search warrant on the defendant’s house finding 37 female mud crabs, 11 undersized male mud crabs, a quantity of frozen crabmeat and regulated finfish, including two grey mackerel, four dusky flathead, one king threadfin, one mulloway, three barred javelin and four silver javelin.

“In a separate matter, a Gympie man was convicted and fined $8 000 for catching sharks and removing their tails and fins.

“QBFP officers boarded a reef line vessel in Bundaberg port on October 29 last year finding 49 fins or tails that had been removed from sharks.

“The defendant admitted they were his,” Mr Bowness said.

“Under Queensland legislation, anyone taking a shark fin must also retain the body of the shark whilst at sea. These rules are in place to act as a deterrent to targeting these animals for their fins alone.

“In sentencing, the Magistrate took into account the cruelty involved in the practice of shark finning,” he said.

Mr Bowness said the convictions and fines should serve as a warning to fishers to stick to the rules.

“The rules are in place to protect Queensland’s fishing industry and to ensure a sustainable fishery for future generations. I hope these penalties will serve as a future deterrent.

“People who suspect illegal fishing activities are urged to report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.”

For more information on fishing rules in Queensland, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au (http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au/) or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jo Anglesey, 3087 8601

tropicrows
26-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Excellent work Fisheries Queensland, keep it up.

mattooty
26-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Always good to see Fisheries getting the upper hand on blokes like these.
Out of curiosity, where would someone stand if they caught and kept the whole shark, ate the fillets and had the fins drying for consumption later?

Lucky_Phill
26-06-2013, 05:22 PM
I suppose it would be where you had the fins.

I could look it up, but I would assume ( at my peril ) if you had taken the shark home, whole, and ate the fillets and were keeping fins for later, you stand a 99.99% chance of NOT being inspected by FQ.

But interesting question.................

LP

Aussie123
26-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Having fins and no carcass only stands while at sea(on the water)
This includes sitting in a marina or at a wharf.
Once you are back on land you are ok to only have the fins left in your possession.

ftrucker78
26-06-2013, 07:30 PM
If I keep a shark for the inlaws share of the catch I remove all fins and the head before it goes in the esky. It helps keep the stink out of the meat. Who eats the fins? I throw them overboard.