PDA

View Full Version : Boat capsizes at the pin

JulianDeMarchi
26-06-2013, 08:05 AM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/fishermen-rescued-after-dinghy-capsizes-20130626-2ovr9.html

Hope they pull up ok!

outta line
26-06-2013, 11:32 AM
why is it always a freak wave????? they are all waves and need to be respected all the same.....worse still not waring life jackets on that bar or any bar.. it would of been a runout tide with a decent swell at 3pm that bar would of been a wall of whitewater..... ive been crossing that bar for over 10years and have gotten to know it fairly well. I have stopped using the JP bar in the last 3 months after all the sand movement its shocking at the moment and scared the shit out of me last crossing ... i would rather run up from seaway and be safe.... hope the two lads are doing well and all the best to both of them .. cheers mick

Floating Rib
26-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Yep the Pin Bar seems to be breaking pretty much across its width, not sure if it was Outta Line but one of the guys on here gave me the tip on the channel close around the south straddie tip, on the right tide with low swell its ok but the time before that i picked my way through the middle trying to suss a channel but didnt establish anything other than the whole thing was a mess. Certainly not a place to be without jackets and rescue gear well at hand.

SatNav
26-06-2013, 07:50 PM
1. Length of this "dinghy" or "tinnie" was, how long?

2. Freak wave?

SummerTrance
28-06-2013, 04:47 PM
The way I read it, they wernt actually on/or crossing the bar, but were fishing somewhere out from the bar.

johncar
28-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I have only been going out there for the last 30 years regularly night and day and so far I have been lucky enough not to come across one of those "freak waves" the media often talk about and hope I never do.
Bars on the other hand always need a good amount of respect..
I too hope that the guys involved are Ok safe and sound after all..

outta line
29-06-2013, 09:44 AM
The way I read it, they wernt actually on/or crossing the bar, but were fishing somewhere out from the bar.

3pm is the time most of us head in from offshore for home. if he wasnt crossing the bar his boat was either too small or definitely fishing too shallow to be swamped ...

outta line
29-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Yep the Pin Bar seems to be breaking pretty much across its width, not sure if it was Outta Line but one of the guys on here gave me the tip on the channel close around the south straddie tip, on the right tide with low swell its ok but the time before that i picked my way through the middle trying to suss a channel but didnt establish anything other than the whole thing was a mess. Certainly not a place to be without jackets and rescue gear well at hand.

not me mate i always start my crossing from swan bay ... evan that bank to the north of south straddie gets shallow n messy ..no need to short cut that bank its only a few extra minute or so in deep water to swan bay