PDA

View Full Version : Techniice Dry ice packs

MEG-A-BITE
25-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Anyone ever used these for fish in the esky? How do you reuse them and do they keep longer than normal blocks of ice?
http://www.techniice.com/heavy-duty-reusable-ice-packs-1/3-hdr-ice-packs.html

wags on the water
25-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Only ever used them to cool the esky down.

tropicrows
25-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Used them a few years back, they worked well enough. But in the end they got a fishy smell and took to long to clean. I would use them in the food esky but not in the fish esky again.

Muddy Toes
25-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Yep same as Bruce..................worked well but took on a fishy smell you can't get rid of.

Just for the food esky Wayne................

MEG-A-BITE
25-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info,will get some just for the food esky.

Nicko_Cairns
25-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Heavy duty clip seal bag might help? Cheers.

bar raider
25-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I have 8 brand new sheets siting here I've meaning to put on ebay, I'm sure I can beat any price u find LOL. Pm if interested.

Have bought a few esky s from them and only need so many of these things.

Cheers

spelchek
26-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I use them in the bait esky. Yeh they take on some of the smell - not as bad as you'd think though. Still use plain ice (well, ice/salt water slurry) in the fish esky. They seem to work fine - never done a 'side by side' comparison to real ice though.

fat-buoy
26-06-2013, 09:07 AM
I tossed mine out as they were just messy etc and went gross real quick...

Probs ok to throw in with the wine and food to go to a bbq etc but not for fishing... I just fill 3L juice bottles with water and throw them in the freezer ready to go when I go fishing... simples

robsue
26-06-2013, 11:45 AM
a tip for using bottles filled with water and freezing, add cup of pool salt, takes bit longer to freeze but stays frozen longer
I usually put a 5 litre frozen bottle in esky, and add sea water, makes water cold for crabs, no fighting, or to keep fish cold

Argle
26-06-2013, 12:09 PM
The trick is to keep them dry - they will absorb moisture and this will thaw them out pretty quickly. So if you are using them with normal ice it will make them far less effective - I put them in a snap lock bag seems to keep them a lot colder a lot longer

Cheers

Nicko_Cairns
26-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Or fill with seawater, does the same thing. I use the 3L berri juice bottles as they have a handle and when the handle breaks they're cheap dog toys, the dogs throw them around for a good week before they get sick of them.

a tip for using bottles filled with water and freezing, add cup of pool salt, takes bit longer to freeze but stays frozen longer
I usually put a 5 litre frozen bottle in esky, and add sea water, makes water cold for crabs, no fighting, or to keep fish cold

fisho_83
26-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I use the Dry Ice packs all the time, and I think they are the duck's nuts. Originally they did get the fish smell, but I just washed in hot water and let them sit in the sun for a day or so. It worked a treat! Now, I just put them in a couple of Woolies plastic bags. Avoids them getting smelly, and getting spiked or ripped by the fish spines etc.