PDA

View Full Version : Boat services - what gear do you leave in what do you take out?

Still_Dreamin
24-06-2013, 01:06 PM
My first service is happening today. I have stripped everything out except epirb and fire extinguisher. What does everyone else do? Before this boat I just took the 25hp motor off the tinnie so didnt have to worry about the gear in a boat.

WalrusLike
24-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I used to take it all out now I leave it all in.

Assuming nothing extremely valuable inside.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Agrav8_and_Lulu
24-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Take everything out. If something goes missing I have to just look around the house, and not think did they thieve it.

Darren

thelump
24-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Leave it as is. I know there are only 3 people where I get mine serviced. If i couldnt trust them with gear left in my boat I certainly wouldnt trust them to service it properly.

Chimo
24-06-2013, 02:30 PM
If you dont trust the people who service the boat IMHO you shouldn't be using them. All the stuff that was in mine got left during the last service a month or so ago.

If you do trust them only take out whats in the way otherwise all stays or you send a poor message; "you can do my work but I really don't trust you!".

Just dropped a mates stern-drive off at the marina (to be lifted and racked) to get bellows and seals etc done, all his stuff was left as is too. I'm guessing it will all be there after the repair. (PS I'm never going to buy a stern-drive)

Cheers
Chimo

Still_Dreamin
24-06-2013, 08:48 PM
All good points. I guess it makes sense that if i am trusting them with my boat motor trailer then the contents pales in comparison.

captain rednut
24-06-2013, 08:55 PM
its not the people servicing your boat that are my concern but if they park it out on the main road outside there property is the main worry but then again the thief might take the lot??.

lethal098
25-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Trust the person that looks after your servicing or take it to someone else, there should be no need to remove items during a service.

just had mine done at Aqua Marine and left everything in the boat including some fishing gear, had no hesitation in trusting Jim and the crew to look after it.

lampuki
25-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Your gps!!!!!

Still_Dreamin
25-06-2013, 08:40 AM
No marks worth stealing on my GPS

fishing111
25-06-2013, 10:14 AM
The whole trust the person your dealing with is fine, and you should to a point. But what happens if they place your boat on the street out the front of there business for pick-up for 5 or so hours to make room for the next job, would that be acceptable ? I think the trust issue depends on if a premise has the room to store and maintain watch over your boat until pick-up. I'm not saying that servicing company will knock your shit off, but if they dump it on the street even for an hour they may as well put a sign up to thieving pricks unless the boat is being monitored, and short of a person sitting in the bloody thing I wouldn't be keen to leave my gear in it. I recently got my radiator replaced and asked where my car was upon pick-up and was told across the street. Well nothing was knocked off ( removed most stuff ) but the car was completely unlocked. I guess it comes down to if you are prepared to take the risk, for me I just remove as I couldn't be bothered dealing with insurance companies or business owners who could very rightly say what exactly was in the boat, and what was knocked off. You can't expect a business owner to take an itemised list of everything in your boat.

Nicko_Cairns
25-06-2013, 10:21 AM
I've heard of one servicing place that will take a copy of your marks if you leave your sounder in the boat so personally I'd take that out! Cheers.

ftrucker78
25-06-2013, 09:04 PM
gps is a biggie,even a good bloke can be tempted into taking a peep if they know you regularly catch good fish.

Muddy Toes
25-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I've heard of one servicing place that will take a copy of your marks if you leave your sounder in the boat so personally I'd take that out! Cheers.

Anyone that can get GPS marks out of my sounder deserves them...........

thylacene
25-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Generally leave everything in it, drop it off first thing, pick it up at lunchtime and try to be on the water within half an hour of arriving back at camp, which is a 100k tow, shouldn't waste a suitable afternoon should the opportunity present itself. Most of the gear is low rent, but cumulative replacement cost might be scary now I think about it.

I trust them to work on the boat, if I can't trust them with a couple of bags of lures and a selection of gaffs, knows etc, I wouldn't trust them on the engine.

Fraser Marine at Eden, good bunch of guys, care about their repeat business, care about their customers, which is lucky as they are the only service agent in easy towing distance, another 160km to the next one.

And they gave me GPS marks for the local area...