PDA

View Full Version : is it the lures fault or mine?

Got_Nothing
23-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Fished the last few hours of the run out tide in between sea world and the trawlers today, land based (see image).

I worked the whole distance one way with squidgies, changing colour twice and then worked it all the way back with a small shallow diving hard body and didn't even get a sniff.

I must admit I am more of a bait fisherman than a lure fisherman but I am trying to convert my self. I have caught plenty of flatties before on bait but cant seem to nail them on lures.

Was it just a bad day....could I be doing something wrong. I tried many different retrieves, slow, fast in-between. I have watched the youtube tutorials and am trying to follow the pointers but I just cant convert my self to lures (other than spinning for tailor).

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Apollo
23-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I prefer the last half of the run out for flatties on drop off/gutters.

tunaticer
23-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Mate, read the post I put up a yr or so ago: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?181213-fishing-with-soft-plastics-for-beginners
Has most of the things to pay attention to for fishing plastics.
I would not write today off as bad technique though, your chosen location wasn't the best either, but I would have wagered a flatty would live there.

Put an invite up for a session in your area, pretty sure someone will want to tag along to help you master the black art.

lbger
24-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I think the time of the day may have been a drama also.. the last of the run out was in the middle of the day when the boat traffic is horrid.. I prefer the first part of the run out from the high tide coming down.. when the water is a bit clearer.. the tides are huge at the moment and the water was really dirty and full of debris (yesterday) Maybe pick somewhere quieter and persistence is the key! when you get your first one it will makes sense..

rabbi
24-06-2013, 12:23 PM
I have found through snorkelling and using soft plastics ( not at the same time :) that the lizards move away from structure into deeper water while tide is running out and then come back into structure or closer to shore when last of runout happens and then the first of run in tide. They seem to be hungrier when tide starts to move back in and are more willing to take an SP.IMO
Drop offs and submarine rock walls are good places to try as they will inhabit certain areas.

Not to contradict you in anyway lbger but in this area we have found dirty,muddy or stirred up water have produced best results as they are pretty much ambush predators but it is different for each area....
The high tides around ballina are causing a lot of streets to be flooded with sea water at the moment.. Mite be worth a throw with an sp on the front lawns of the Ballina Quays houses..
cheers.

lbger
24-06-2013, 01:54 PM
All good Rabbi :) I just like sitting just off a channel and casting onto the flats as the tide drops and hop the plastic off the flat into the deeper stuff and now i think about it it might be a bit tough to do this landbased anyway :)

Funchy
24-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Fish as light as possible mate, make sure SP is in contact with the bottom. Do a search for Mullet Muskateer on here and read all his posts. When you have done that read them again.

Perseverence mate, once you get one your confidence will lift and away you go.

Got_Nothing
25-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks to all for your advice.....I just need to resist the urge and leave the bait at home I think.

@ Funchy I have been following Mullet Muskaters blog for a while but will keep re-reading his posts and see what I can learn. Lots of great info on NNSW which is my favourite place to fish.

I am looking forward to cracking the code.

Quick question, how often would you change lures if you were not getting any action on one?

lbger
26-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Thats a tough one.. mainly because flathead will eat anything put in front of them.. for first fish i would suggest this.

Use a jig head that sinks to the bottom easily and you can feel when it hits the bottom. Try a proven pattern..say a gulp 3 inch minow in watermelon pearl.. cast it out wait till it hits the bottom and give it 3 short sharp flicks of the rod tip.. count to 5 (literally count to 5 in your head) wind only the slack in. repeat till its near your feet. they almost always grab it when your counting to 5 and it will feel like a snag.. any "snag" strike.. enough casts and you cant not catch one..

Funchy
27-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Quick question, how often would you change lures if you were not getting any action on one?

I tend to agree with Ibger that flatty's will take anything however there are plenty of times i have changed from a curl tail grub that was getting no action to hookup when changing to a minnow. Also, plenty of times i have used a 4 inch gulp minnow in smelt for not a touch and moved down to same placcy in 3 inch. My philosophy is if you are getting no action change something (location, retrieve, SP etc)

It will come mate, you are on the right track

What gear are you using? Remember lighter the better. I snavelled a 85cm flatty the other day on 6lb braid and 8lb leader and never felt in danger of losing her.

Scimitar raider
27-06-2013, 09:30 AM
From a legal point of view,NEVER ACCEPT GUILT therefore it's the lures fault!

Got_Nothing
30-06-2013, 10:10 AM
@ Funchy

I followed your advice...I read Mullet Muskateer's blog, then I read it again and then i went out to execute.

Fished Fingal rocks Sat arvo and came up with Nothing but a tiny catfish and some chewed up plastics.

Realising that I hadn't actually followed everything MM had said I went home and read his blog again and went back down at 5:30 this morning...before dawn as recommended by MM.

I was using a 7" jerk shad in the sardine colour and picked up this:

It's no monster measuring in at 65cm but my transition away from bait is off to a better start.

So thanks to all for the advice especially Funchy and Mullet Muskateer. :D

Funchy
30-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Hahahahaaaaaa!!!!! Good onya mate!! Thats a crackin fish for a SP newbie. That'll keep ya coming back for a while!!!

Losing tails like that has got to be little toadies by the look of the teeth marks. Anyway, keep at it you are going great!!