PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Compliance Plate

Mattg68
17-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm in the process of restoring a 15' Pride Premier fibreglass boat and was wanting to know the procedure of getting a compliance plate for it as the original one is not attached. Also, during this procedure is this where i can find out (or be advised) the H.P. rating for the transom / boat.

I do have the previous owners rego number recorded from the boat, maybe this would be of assistance?

Was after first hand info / experience before i started googling.

Thanks
mattg

Moonlighter
17-06-2013, 12:43 PM
As far as I am aware, you don't need a compliance plate for older boats. New boats require an Australian Builder's Plate, though, but this wouldnt apply to yours due to its age.

Your best bet re finding out the manufacturer's recommended max hp for that boat will be to find another owner of same boat and see if theirs has a compliance plate that states it, or just look at internet ads and see what engines are on the ones for sale, or talk to a dealer who was familiar with them. Or google "Pride Boats brochure" of similar, you could get lucky and find that someone has scanned a brochure and find the info you are after that way.

The other option is to use the method outlined in the Australian Boat Building standard to calculate the max hp.

The formula is as follows, you could use it as a guide and if you stay within the results, should be pretty safe:

Australian Standards Calculation AS 1799. Measurements are all in meters.

Length of boat X Waterline beam width at transom X 16 less 67 then X 1.34 = max hp you can use on your boat.

So an example similar to your boat might be, and I am guessing some measurements here, but you can easily go and get accurate measurements and then apply this formula:

4.6m boat X 1.75m beam at the waterline at the transom = 8.05; then

8.05 X 16 = 128.8, less 67= 61.8 X 1.34 = 82.81 hp.

So you would then round that down to the nearest 5 hp = 80hp max, subject of course to the on-water test.

The Standard then requires a serious practical on water test to be done, at full throttle, through an on water slalom course, performing a 90 degree right angle turn, in a prescribed distance. And no water to come on board at all, otherwise reduce max power and try again. That's how manufacturers who apply the standard would work it out. Aften they would stay a margin lower hp in the interests of reducing potential liability.

But if you apply the above formula and stay say 10 hp under the result you get, you could be pretty confident of not getting into too much trouble.

I had a mate who had a 460C Haines. It originally had a 55hp Johnno on it and went very well. When that motor blew up, he put a 70 Yamaha 2 stoke on it and it was a rocket ship! More hp than that would have been really scary!

I reckon that a 70 would be similarly quick on your boat. 50-60 would be a good choice too.

The other factor to consider is engine weight.

When you run the above formula, you can easily find out the weight of engines in that HP range on the net. Weigh some bags of sand and stick them on the transom when the hull is in the water, and see how she handles the weight. 4 strokes usually, though not always these days, heavier than equivalent 2 strokes. You wont want too much stern down attitude caused by excess engine weight, including allowing for fuel tanks full of juice.

Nicko_Cairns
17-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Mate I don't know that make/model, if they're still in business it's just a phone call and small fee. If not the next step would be transport and main roads with the rego details, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. Cheers.

ozynorts
17-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Hey mate the Pride Premier/Caribbean Comaro had a max HP of 115hp and the best was 75hp. Of course that would be a 2 stroke as these boats were made in the 70's.
If you are not sure if you need a compliance plate call a marine surveyor and they will let you know.
Cheers
Ozy

MTAQ/BTAQ
17-06-2013, 07:45 PM
I think the "Capacity Label" which is available at any Dept Transport Customer Service Centre replaces any non existing builders capacity plate, and there is a sliding scale on the back to give the number of persons the vessel can legally carry in smooth waters. If unsure you can ring MSQ at Pinkenba and they could give you more information on carrying capacity.

SummerTrance
17-06-2013, 07:46 PM
You dont need a compliance plate, but you will need a Hull Identification Number (HIN)

http://www.marineqld.com.au/australianbuildersplate

MTAQ/BTAQ
17-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Just read you original inquiry and you also mentioned the HP of the motor.

If they still make this vessel then contact the manufacturer, if not, ring MSQ at Pinkenba.

Mattg68
17-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. Info on this particular model is very hard to come by. Most boats of this model advertised in classifieds have motors ranging from 40 - 140HP. I was pretty sure 140 HP was overkill, but was keeping my eyes open for a 70 - 90 HP. I'm after a balance between fishing (economy) vs skiing (power) so 70 - 90 sounds about right. I just want to make sure the insurance issue isn't affected if i do go 90HP so a bit more homework will be needed. I know Carribean took over manufacture of Pride boats some time ago but no joy there as yet.

Some good advice given there above so i will use it all and get a definitive answer one day and i'll post it here for future reference. Will also get some before and after shots up here as well.

Thanks again and if anyone has some definite links let me know.

mattg

ozynorts
17-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Hey mate the info I gave was from Jeff Webster's Second Hand Boat Workshop so should be fairly accurate. Specs for the boat as listed in the mag. Length 4.65m
Max beam 1.88m, Deadrise 15 degrees, Hull weight 335kg, Weight on trailer 630kg, Max hp 115, Best hp 75, Fuel Capacity 68l.
His comment on the boat was that they were a ideal entry level family/fish/ski boats because their moderate deadrise hulls are very stable, and therefore virtually foolproof. They are not as soft riding as Haines or even Savage's but they are well built, forgiving boats which perform well with reasonably low power outboards.
In his Second Hand Boat Secrets mag he states that with a 115hp 2 stroke it runs to a top speed of around 37 knots.
Enjoy the refurb.
Ozy

dogsbody
17-06-2013, 09:23 PM
All I know is that there's a bloody lot of sanding on your so called resto, chortle

Mattg68
18-06-2013, 10:58 PM
All I know is that there's a bloody lot of sanding on your so called resto, chortle

"sanding maketh the man" matt 11:01

see ya friday night popeye.

mattg