PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting my boat resprayed

Clarkman
15-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Hey guys I'm looking at getting my boat repainted and I was going to do it my self but I'm not going to have the time to do it as I will be starting a new job in the mines on a roster that doesn't leave me many days off so I was just wondering if Anyone knew any cheap spray painters that will do a cash job I need it to be sanded, bogged and painted , I will supply paint, bog and sand paper there isn't much bogging to do and it is a 19ft fibreglass Half cAbin, cheers Will get more photos if needed its all I had on ipad

wirlybird
15-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Arnolds at hemmant does a bloody good job and will be great on price

Seahorse
15-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I dont think arnold would do a cheap cash deal.

Shark Poker
15-06-2013, 10:27 PM
It is a bigger job than it may seem.
Sometimes it is better to focus on other things and keep going boating / fishing.
Pauly

Shark Poker
15-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Actually, I will expand on this for anyone who has not done this before.
Removal of SSt bow and cockpit grab rails
Removal of windscreen and cabin windows
Removal of antennas/aerials
Removal of navigation lights
Removal of canopy and fittings
Removal of fwd hatch, hinges, handles and adjuster arms
Removal of pin-striping, decals
Removal of all items on the top deck/dashboard inc, grab rails
Removal of all Rod holders
Removal of all items around aft deck like bait boards, boarding ladders, trim tabs, engine looms and cables, fuel filters, cables, lines, batteries, oil bottle, upholstered side pockets,
Removal of bollards, cleats, fairleads, anti-skid tape
Removal of , ideally, the outboard motor.
Removal of all items inside the cabin
Removal of gunwhale rubber
Removal, replacement of cabin lining or upholstery
Removal of all the sealants applied to various fittings over the years.
Preparation to store all the above objects, obtain replacement fasteners, washers, nuts
Preparation to replace many of the above items with NEW, including sourcing and purchasing replacements,including decision to fill some of the old holes
Preparation to mask the electrical wiring below the dashboard/top deck, fill in holes from old gauges, brackets, speakers, compass, lights
Plus consider transom/floor possible replacement, plus cabin top deck area maybe.
Then after fairing, hole filling, repairs to spider cracks, gelcoat cracks, and the usual, start trying to find a 'paint sprayer'
And what it may cost.
And how many weeks or months of no boating or fishing.
So YES it is a big job.
If you do it yourself it will take several weekends not including the paint spraying.
So... that is what I think about this type of project.
My passion for/against re painting has been developed because being in the marine windscreen/window business, I often wait for months before being able to complete installations.
It is not so simple, maybe you should just go fishing and keep doing research in your spare time.
:)

Stuart
16-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I have done plenty of spray jobs on boats mate and I can tell you for certain, cheap should never be followed with expectation of a good job. You can have one or the other.

If you want a cheap job, expect to pay a cheap price.
Want a good job, expect to pay a good price.
Want a top job, expect to pay a top price.

There are so many level to get a good job its not funny, a bit of bog here and there, then a spray wont cut the mustard mate. I will almost guarantee that the job will begin to fall to pieces in under 12 months, what will happen then? You cant expect warranty on a cheap job, after all thats all you wanted.

Stuart
16-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Im going to hazard a guess here, looking at the pics only, top and sides, I would say around $1000-$1500.

Stu

Gon Fishun
16-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Are you getting it tidied up for yourself or for resale purposes?

thylacene
16-06-2013, 02:54 PM
It's fibreglass, hit it with some rubbing compound and elbow grease, you might surprise yourself

ozscott
16-06-2013, 03:08 PM
If it were me I would go and see Benny who used to work at Arnolds - just ring Mike and Cooparoo Marine (the owner) and see if he can assist (assuming you are in SEQ).

Cheers

Muddy Toes
16-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Benny that used to work at Arnolds 0403430442...... I can attest to his workmanship, he is very, very good.

Clarkman
16-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys , 1500 was what I was sorta hoping to pay I want a good job that's why I didn't get my mate to do it , and na I'm getting it painted for myself I was going to restore the gelcoat but the top half is flaking , I will give old mate a call thanks heaps for ur help

ozscott
16-06-2013, 08:27 PM
That's him MT. I didn't have his number but knew Mick did.

Cheers

Muddy Toes
16-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I'd have to actually go against Stu here and say that this man is a master of his craft and very reasonable in price too.

wirlybird
17-06-2013, 06:09 AM
I dont think arnold would do a cheap cash deal.

He did for me???

MyWay
17-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys , 1500 was what I was sorta hoping to pay I want a good job that's why I didn't get my mate to do it , and na I'm getting it painted for myself I was going to restore the gelcoat but the top half is flaking , I will give old mate a call thanks heaps for ur help

I believe someone to do the top job it will cost you $ 3000 to $4000 ....easy.....