PDA

View Full Version : Skids on winch post

Justin Rossiter
15-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Hi Folks

As you can see by the photos my boat has Teflon skids on the winch post which is making a mess of my gelcoat and giving me the sh$ts. For the past 18months

I have been using pool noodle and cloth tape to protect it, but it eventually rubs through. I am now after a more permanent option and am open to all suggestions.

Many thanks in advance

ozscott
15-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Just use a small v shaped rubber piece you can get from Whitworths etc that takes the place of the roller and angle grind back the steel to suit - I have never seen a set up like yours - I get the idea, to hild the boat but a chain and turnbuckle to the eyelet can do that.

Cheers

Still_Dreamin
15-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Take a grinder to the steel just past the bow roller and get rid of them. I would not be happy with that damage. Don't really see the need for them nor have I seen them on any trailers

Still_Dreamin
15-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Great minds think alike ozscott

Chimo
15-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Exactly what Ozscott said and the sooner the better.
Have a look at an old Tinka trailer ( a la Lindsay Fry vintage) set up for a Seafarer and see how to arrange your chain and turnbuckle set up.

Cheers
Chimo

johncar
15-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Exactly what Ozscott said and the sooner the better.
Have a look at an old Tinka trailer ( a la Lindsay Fry vintage) set up for a Seafarer and see how to arrange your chain and turnbuckle set up.

Cheers
Chimo

+1, That is not a boat friendly looking setup at all..

Justin Rossiter
15-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks chaps

Looks like a day with the angle grinder coming up :). The trailer was made in Launceston but whether they have been retro fitted or not I have no idea. It certainly isn't boat friendly at all.

J

Justin Rossiter
15-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks again have ordered the V Wedge 110mm from spinny things. The roller that is currently on the winch post is actually too far back for the boat to clear the spare tyre, so is useless. So I will remove that and grind the bars off and fit the v wedge so it is far enough forward to cradle the boat. Will then use the turnbuckle and chain idea to anchor it down to stop movement. Just need to find a suitable anchor point for the chain on the main trailer frame.

tunaticer
15-06-2013, 06:34 PM
If your trailer relies on those bow guides to centre it when that far onto the trailer then I would seriously look at how the trailer is designed.
Your boat should be well centred a full metre before you get near the winch post, if it is not, fix the trailer.
That idea at the bow is either trying to fix a design flaw or it is an extra that does nothing more than root your boat.

Chimo
15-06-2013, 06:42 PM
93705Tinka chain set up

Justin Rossiter
15-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Already well and truly centred by then Jack, I think they have put them on to solve the spare tyre location, but essentially yes, they are there to ruin the bloody boat. Thanks Chimo, have ordered a stainless turnbuckle and will have a look at options in the daylight for anchoring the chain.

Chimo
15-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Justin

There are two reasons why you should cancel the stainless steel turnbuckle and just get a large galvanaized one.

Firstly the stainless steel ones undo as you drive unless you fit some sort of tab to stop it from unwinding;
Secondly the stainless steel turnbuckle will in all probability not be on the trailer when you return after leaving it for the first time at a boat ramp. Most thieves dont realize that they are not effective, they just look shiny! See if you can get a big, grotty, second hand gal turnbuckle and old but rated chain and "d" s to go with it.

Re the chain, see if you can get two points back under the boat bow and then work off the winch post at the other end. The turnbuckle ends up pulling the boat towards the winch post against the chain under the bow. Ideally the winch plays no part in holding the boat bow in place. Eg in my case the 912 Powerwinch cannot / must not be used to hold the boat in place after haul out. The vast majority of manual winches really are not up to the job either.

Are the kelp beds out from Hobart still good for a dive?

Cheers
Chimo

Mattya
15-06-2013, 07:53 PM
What's the chain at the bottom for? Could someone explain.

johncar
15-06-2013, 10:44 PM
A couple of pics of my set ups, pretty basic if any use to you: The one with the three turnbuckles doesn't really need the two rear ones, chains alone would suffice with just the one on the front to tension the whole thing.
The turnbuckles all have a lock nut on the right hand threaded screw to stop them from loosening on the road.

Both setups are quick and simple to loosen and just remove the one shackle prior to launching

Justin Rossiter
16-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks John for the pics, that is what I had in mind (2nd pic).

Yes Chimo the kelp beds are still a great dive from what I hear.

J

Malcolm W
16-06-2013, 09:38 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FOUR-WINNS-031-1514-POLISHED-STAINLESS-STEEL-BOAT-BOW-PLATE-/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/jJAAAOxyoA1RW7e7/$T2eC16hHJG!E9nm3s!r5BRW7e7L1u!~~60_3.JPG

If your worried about bow damage something like these stainless protectors will do the trick. They also give some protection from anchor damage. There are a few different ones, some already bent and some you shape yourself.

Noelm
17-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Just should add, the blue stuff is for alloy, for a glass boat, the material is red, much softer, not that it matters much because you are scrapping the whole idea, but still something to remember.

Justin Rossiter
17-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Noel

Yep these 2 strips are the only pieces on the entire trailer, the rollers are all rubber. Haven't had the chance to cut the supports off yet due to the wonderful Hobart drizzle, but want to get them off soon and survey the clean up job underneath.

Cheers

Justin Rossiter
17-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Found this on CH Marine website, might be easier to just cover up marks etc

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/BowShield-Bow-Protector.html

Blackened
17-06-2013, 04:30 PM
G'day

Just a tip, when you want to do the grinding, do NOT grind with the boat on the trailer unless you want 48 million little rust spots embedded in the gelcoat once all of the molten metal particles burn into it. At the very least, cover the front of the boat with a heavy blanket etc,

Dave

Justin Rossiter
17-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Great info, thanks Dave.

J

deckie
18-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Found this on CH Marine website, might be easier to just cover up marks etc

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/BowShield-Bow-Protector.html
geeezus $50+ before postage ?...keelguard give them away.
Doubt it would cover his marks. They're fairly small which is all thats necessary. Got one and can recommend but its kind of like recarpetting the muffler if the bow wedge is set up fine....not what u'd call necessary or even handy.
Much better just to bet that bow wedge right.

Justin Rossiter
18-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Yep, agreed, will be too small. Will see how it comes up with a bit of elbow grease and go from there.

Justin Rossiter
22-06-2013, 06:11 PM
The finished project minus the turnbuckle and chain (will do that tomorrow). Again thanks for the advice and pleased to report that with a bit of acetone and elbow grease the gelcoat has come up OK .

Chimo
22-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Justin

Pic not working "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sendmessage.php)

Suggest you read this http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?54125-How-do-I-upload-my-own-personal-picture-%28Avatar%29

Justin Rossiter
22-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks Chimo

Not sure what happened there, but fixed now.

J

ozscott
22-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice work mate

Cheers