PDA

View Full Version : Outriggers fitted -success at last

thylacene
11-06-2013, 10:06 PM
A set of Precision Rods 4.5m telescopic poles, adjustable perco style bases, custom made arch to support hardtop, first outing on the weekend, four out of six albacore caught on monday on the short rigger. Nice clean release, minimal flex, poles shorten down enough to keep in side pockets. Easy to use and seem to work well based on my limited experience.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-flvvzWhMsWk/Ubbr68jO-XI/AAAAAAAAA2o/l3mkNxgnpDs/w1219-h685-no/DSC00474.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KV942o37cFk/UbbsQM17UkI/AAAAAAAAA4A/y1By9P-pnOg/s912/cropped%2520on%2520harbor.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ZKrzZ1GU8f8/UbbsBFs9DvI/AAAAAAAAA3A/ACzgtPQN3Bs/s1024/DSC00477.JPG

Muddy Toes
11-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Very nice Thy................I've got a pair of his 20ft carbon fiber poles waiting for me. Can't wait to fit them up and give them a try!!!

gpz1991
11-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Sweet, setup mate

thylacene
12-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Very nice Thy................I've got a pair of his 20ft carbon fiber poles waiting for me. Can't wait to fit them up and give them a try!!!

Cool, make sure that where you are intending to fit the bases has plenty of meat, the 4.5Mpoles weigh 1.5kg,the point loading on the mounts is substantial. I can only assume that the 6m poles are heavier again. The calculation for leverage is relatively simple, the length of the pole from tip to pivot/length from the centreline of the pole to the outer most point on the mount. 6m pole, 100mm from centre of pole to outer edge of mount = a factor of 60. In old school terms, about 55ft/lbs of force per 2kg pole. My calculations may be screwed, but the weight on ours flexed the grp hull 20mm, and the 2mm stainless plate almost 5mm before an angle brace was welded into place.

cheers

Thy

Muddy Toes
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Cheers mate............

Still trying to figure out the best way to back my hard top where they will be mounted. I'm kind of erring on the side of over engineering the backing plate to be welded on to my hard top frame so It's all tied up in to one piece instead of just putting a backing plate under the hard top.

fin101
12-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I have a pair of 20ft precisions on my HH with tee topper bases, it took a lot of work to get them right, thylacene is 100% correct, the load they put on the bases/mounting points is huge. They weigh bugger all , but the force over the length is massive. I had a mate make me stainless support arms that are attached to my targa, he made me ss sleeves that I sikaflex onto the poles, and attach via locking pins on the sleeves. Had a solid block of nylon under gunnels to support bases and keep stress off the gunnels. . They are rock solid, don't move at all, and look and work a treat. Best outriggers going around, some of the systems I see are piss poor , soft poles and too short . I don't know how to post pics, but have a few of the install we did. If someone wants me to email them to be put up I would be happy to oblige. I think anyone contemplating fitting these on the gunnells or similar should take a look at it, for mine it's the only way for them to be done if your looking at a pole this long. Looks like a good set up thylacene, looks like you would have almost no drop back when your useing tag lines which is perfect.

thylacene
12-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Cheers mate............

Still trying to figure out the best way to back my hard top where they will be mounted. I'm kind of erring on the side of over engineering the backing plate to be welded on to my hard top frame so It's all tied up in to one piece instead of just putting a backing plate under the hard top.

I am a fan of over engineering, stuff happens. My best guess on worst case scenario for us was that the line ends up wrapped around the tip of the pole as a decent fish hits it. We run max 24kg which has potential to transfer 1000kg of force to the mounts from a 5m span, with the wishbones the load is distributed over 3 points at 300+ kilos each.

After the experience I had trying to fit these, the relatively small amount you spend is cheap insurance over the life of your boat. The force transferred and multiplied by leverage is significant even when towing big lures is surprising. Remember that the mounts are stressed with every swell, strike and dunking they cop, and for hours at a time. Any flex will weaken the material, or in the case of stainless, work harden and make brittle being more prone to fatigue fracture. As with everything boating, this has been a real education.

Our setup is possibly over engineered for the size of the boat, I have had several comments to that effect, but the intention is to only do it once and just have it work easily when we choose to use them. You can guarantee that if something is to fail and require time for repairs, during that time the weather will be ideal and your favorite targets species will be on the chew.

Thy

wrxhoon
12-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Thy,
Make sure you don't travel at speed ( on the plane) with poles extended, you will break them ( the ally poles that is ).
I have the same set up in my boat, gunnel mount Tako bases with 15' telescopic Tako poles, they work very well but I always retract them and have them upright when not trolling.

Jarrah Jack
13-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Hows the seat going Thy?

Stuart
13-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Im glad people are happy with my outrigger poles, they took a lot of time to get right. Alloy poles are used because they are generally light, but the inherent problem is they have a very low tensile rating. Not only that they also fatigue relatively quickly. The yanks love them because they can be anodized in gold. My rigger poles have a lot of engineering go into them, that is certain grades and types of carbon fibre and a high modules glass. Putting them in the correct layer is vital to their strength and rigidity, plus they wont go soft over time, they will remain the same for the life of the poles. I know some companies are currently trying to copy my rigger poles, I expect them to be on the market later this year, it just never ends. At least I can state they are designed and made in Australia, while these other companies do the same, yet they are 100% made in China, thats highly illegal.

Many thanks to those who have supported my brand. Like I say, once you feel these poles you will relise what every is saying, they are simply the best.

Stu
Precision Rods

thylacene
13-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Thy,
Make sure you don't travel at speed ( on the plane) with poles extended, you will break them ( the ally poles that is ).
I have the same set up in my boat, gunnel mount Tako bases with 15' telescopic Tako poles, they work very well but I always retract them and have them upright when not trolling.

No aluminum poles he, used Stu McKenzies carbon fibre telescopics, and from looking at them (and the weekends experience) they are unlikley to break easily. About 4mm thick wall and well made, so much so that I learnt quickly that I must rinse them after use as the clearances are nice and tight, but that means that salt acts like glue. Nothing a bit of salt-x didn't sort quickly though.

I am very happy, they release crisply, and ther is minimal flex considering the length involved.

Happily recommend them to anyone, but acknowledge they are a little heavier than similar alloy, so make sure you engineer the mounts to suit. I chose wishbone mounts for ease of deployment and retraction for travelling, but also spent some time dragging feather zukers at 15 knots while moving between areas just in case. Admittedly seas were conducive.

Cheers

Thy

thylacene
13-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Hows the seat going Thy?

Still have a very happy passenger, over 150 hours use so far. I don't go wave jumping for fun, but I am assured that between the trim tabs and the suspension seat, SWMBO has no complaints about jarring these days, we still hit the occasional pothole, and I can feel it on the fixed pedestal, and having also played passenger with a mate driving can confirm it works a treat. It works best if you Centre your weight on the top of the pedestal and hang on the the Jesus bar, and I think it would have to be a big landing to cop a jar from it. Even with my fat backside on it I don't use all of the travel.

Cheers

Thy