PDA

View Full Version : Minor graze advice

boboncc
09-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Warning ......... probably dumb question! ;D

Hi some of you will know me with my buying my first boat 5 weeks ago. Even with being away with work for two weeks, I've managed to do 13 hours and having lots of fun.

Today I came into the ramp at low tide but hit the concrete doing less than 1Kt, my fault as I miss judged it and I didn't get it in reverse fast enough. I manage to put a 1.5cm X 12cm graze on the very centre of the keel, I'm guessing at worst a multitude of scratches less than say .5mm deep. The boat will probably have its first service in a couple of weeks and I intend to have the fiberglass repaired at the same time. I think it will be okay to use up until then, what are your thoughts ........ do you agree?

Cheers!
Bob

solemandownunder
10-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Does'nt seem too bad from what you describe....maybe just fill the crease with clear silicone for now just to be sure.
The silicone should come off easily enough when you go to have it glassed over.

Or, maybe just fill it in with a "2pack epoxy resin" from the likes of Repco.

But...DO check that your bilge pump/s ARE working.....JUST in case ;D

Cheers, Ray.

Crunchy
10-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Whilst it is always a bummer when you scratch uo the gel coat on your pride and joy, it will be fine to keep using. Can you see the glass or just scratched up gel coat? If you can see the glass get it repaired at some stage as will absorb moisture over time.

Blackened
10-06-2013, 08:10 AM
G'day

Do NOT fill with sillicone or anything else, the guy doing the work will happily put the bill up :)

If the gelcoat is scratched and not chipped (can you see fibreglass matting underneath?) Then it's ok to use.

The danger with exposed fibreglass matting where the resin has been chipped away is that over time water can and will get in, causing osmosis. this is the equivalent of rust or cancer.

Te repair it's an easy cosmetic job, get someone who knows what they're doing. Only use gelcoat or flowcoat depending on method of repair, nothing foreign like miracle putties or silicones etc.

Dave

boboncc
10-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Ray Crunchy and Dave Thanks for the replies!

It was dark when I had a look last night, when I looked this morning the damage was slightly worse than I thought with it being about 20cm long X 1.5cm wide, the worst scratches being about 1mm deep. The good news is I can't see any matting!

G'day

If the gelcoat is scratched and not chipped (can you see fibreglass matting underneath?) Then it's ok to use.

The danger with exposed fibreglass matting where the resin has been chipped away is that over time water can and will get in, causing osmosis. this is the equivalent of rust or cancer.

Dave

Thanks Dave, osmosis was what was in the back of my mind. Anyway with no matting showing, I hope to do another 6-7 hours in the next couple of weeks before the first service and I'll have it repaired at the same time.

Cheers!
Bob

solemandownunder
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
G'day

Do NOT fill with sillicone or anything else, the guy doing the work will happily put the bill up :)

Te repair it's an easy cosmetic job, get someone who knows what they're doing. Only use gelcoat or flowcoat depending on method of repair, nothing foreign like miracle putties or silicones etc.

Dave

I was only looking at a quick fix here, but as you pointed out could be more costly.

Thanks for the professional advice Dave :)

Cheers, Ray