PDA

View Full Version : What knot to do.

rtp1984
09-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Hi all, how are you?

I had a knot slip at Scarborough the other night on a pretty nice fish, I wasn't happy. It was 10lb braid on tp 15 or 20lb mono leader, and I used a uni knot. Is there a better knot for this application?

Thanks
Rob

netmaker
09-06-2013, 07:09 AM
I use uni to uni and it is a good knot. minimum of 8 twists on the braid end and 5 on the mono. you need to make sure there is no slip left before cutting your tag ends off by applying as much pressure as a good fish would.

thelump
09-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah mate I am the same and use uni to uni never had one let go. I have been playing around with the 5 loop surgeons knot but haven't used it enough to recommend. Pretty easy to tie.
http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/

overdraft
09-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Hi Rob
I use to use the double Uni Knot to tie my mono to braid until a mate of mine showed me the improved Albright Knot, I was always convinced the double uni was the best knot until we spent about a day drinking a carton of beer and testing every type of knot at a caravan park waiting for the winds to drop. The main points with the Albright is you have to make sure you do the half hitch at the end and you still have a long enough leader as this will take the strain off the join. In regards to tying off the hook we always use a Uni knot. There is one better knot but it takes about 10 minutes to tie it and I only use on very heavy lines.
Good luck

tunaticer
09-06-2013, 07:42 AM
A-I use the 5 turn surgeons knot all the time now, probably the most secure knot I have found where the braid does not cut through the leader.

B-I double the braid over prior to starting the knot then trim the three tags, this gives the braid more cushion inside the knot to further reduce knot breaks.

C-By far the easiest and fastest knot I know of for braid to FC or mono.

Benben86
09-06-2013, 07:47 AM
My favourite is the slim beauty. Easy to tie, strong, and because all the tag ends face backwards they go through the guides easily.

Funchy
09-06-2013, 09:55 AM
I only use double uni knot. I do 11 wraps on the braid and 7 on the leader. Never had an issue with knot letting go. As stated above make sure you have pulled down and tightened. Also, I retie leaders every 100 or so casts. Perhaps your knot let go due to wear from casting through the guides?

Any way, good luck with it mate :)

Moonlighter
09-06-2013, 11:49 AM
For many years I have used the uni-knot to uni-knot and had good results. It has held up on 20lb braid with 30 or 40 lb leader, and this combination has stopped a 11kg snapper and a 22kg spano.

There are only 2 problems I have had.

One, when using it in quite light lines such as 6lb test braid to 10lb leader. Sometimes I can tie it perfectly and its fine, but other times I tie it and it looks fine, but breaks as soon as I put some test pressure onto it.

The other problem is at the other end of the scale, when tying 80 or 100lb leader to 50-80lb braid. The knot works fine, but it is pretty big and bumps thru the guides.

So lately I have been trying this one - i believe its called the GT knot and reportedly breaks at 120% or more. Very slim knot and strong. This video shows he easy way to tie it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4R3_znSAPz8

MudRiverDan
09-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I just use an albright 10 down 3 up.
-- for beach and rock, slim beauty 8 winds and 12 or more finishing hitches.
My major issue is catching a big fish, I wish I had the problem of big fish busting knots...

Anyway there is no such not as ''a uni knot'' for braid to mono?
Maybe you mean you did a ''double uni''?

Dan

nathank
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
uni knot to uni for sure.. the one thing you want to make sure is that you have a double in the braid and always do double the turns in the braid as you do the leader.. i do 8 in the braid 4 in the flouro.. should never come undone.. otherwise if your fishing heavier the FG knot or wind on applications are the go..

MudRiverDan
09-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Not sure what the big deal is with ''uni to uni''?

I have used an albright for years and never seen one slip and am pretty impressed as when I get a snag I usually get my leader back.

Dan

netmaker
09-06-2013, 01:47 PM
should have added: tie the braid uni first and then pull the mono through it a few inches before tying the mono uni. the braid uni will weaken the mono where it was pulled tight. this may explain moonlighters problems with good looking knots failing under pressure. I learnt this the hard way but have never had a failure since.

rtp1984
10-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. It was the uni knot to uni knot that I was using, I think I will just have a freshen up on it.

I use the Albright knot on my bigger line sizes, and trust it to no end, but I find it really hard to tie it with the smaller braid.

Thanks again
Rob

Ausfish
10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Use an Albright or Tony Jones Leader Knot, both can be found in the Ausfish Animated Fishing Knots section http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urig_dPzYa8

Luc
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I use this one and have not had any problems.

nathank
10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Not sure what the big deal is with ''uni to uni''?

I have used an albright for years and never seen one slip and am pretty impressed as when I get a snag I usually get my leader back.

Dan

There is nothing wrong with an albright knot.. on a scale of average knots to really good knots in relation to connecting braid to flouro an albright is really average thats all mate. its clunky and is prone to bumping undone with repeated casts..
i use this knot though sometimes for certain things.. i love it in connecting singlestrand wire to my mainline when chasing macks so i dont have a swivel for them to bite off :)

Cheech
10-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Luc is on the money. I use to use the double uni until I discovered this knot. The good thing about it is that the tag sticks straight out so it does not catch in either direction.

Learning a bimini, my hint is to not stuff around with using feet. I do small ones about 6 inches long just wrapping around my hand and using my fingers to put the outward tension to get the backward spiral happening. I can do a bimini and then the braid leader knot in about the same amount of time as a double uni. Just need to practice it a bit.

And it works just as well on thin and thick line.

Only variation to the .doc file is that I do only 6 turns of line around the leader instead of the suggested 15. Maybe I will give the more turns a try, but so far with 6 turns I have never had one fail. I do a 50 turn bimini in my braid as well.

Ausfish
21-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Have just added to Yucatan knot to the collection of animated knots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgVO0sWhP8

Enjoy

Triple
21-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Those of you using the albright (or one of the versions of albright) do you lock it off?

Is the yucatan also known as the reversed albright? Or is their slight variations that the internet has mixed up?

And geez I wish knot wars would do the tests with heavier line aswell to save a few arguments.

Fish_gutz
22-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I used to use the uni to uni on all my braid to mono but after a recent trip to 1770 I decided to give the albright a crack and both rods came home with same knot/leader still attached. the bit that sold me was not getting my runners smashed by the tag line hanging out. nice and smooth on the way in and out . handled everything from reds to red throat.

tunaticer
22-06-2013, 09:22 PM
There are two problems that cause most knot failures with braid to leader knots.
The most common is where the tension on the braid with a big hit will tighten so much around the leader that it pinches it off in the middle of the knot.
The second main cause of knot failure is in all knots where the braid is the most exterior part of the knot like in albrights. Rattling these types of knots through your guides damages the braid in the knot and ultimately will let go unexpectedly after a hundred or so casts.
There are knots around with excellent breaking strains where neither of these problems can occur because of how the knot forms.

Gordie
25-06-2013, 06:00 PM
So what knot am I using? I thought it was an Albright but it differs from the Albright on my phone app.

I do 7 wraps up and then come back with 7 over the top of the first then back through the loop. I must have seen it somewhere.

Another trick I saw was to reduce the tag end by pulling all other lines away leaving just the tag end showing out of your finger and thumb and touching it with a flame fron a cigarette lighter.

If you are game to go close then you can melt it down to nothing.

Gordon

Crunchy
25-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm a big fan of the yacatan but have found on light braid (powerpro especially) it snaps real easy sometimes so switched to double uni and no problems since.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?190894-Powerpro-knot-issues

Triple
25-06-2013, 07:59 PM
So what knot am I using? I thought it was an Albright but it differs from the Albright on my phone app.
Gordon

I have seen about 4 or 5 different albright knots on the net "albright special" improved albright" etc etc..

1. - One with just 10 wraps back.

2. - One with a number of wraps up and then wraps back down.

3. - One that loops the tag end around the end loop you come back through a number of times.

4. - One that does the albright then does a uni to lock off the tag end.

then don't forget you have the "reverse albright"

AND the "double albright"..

ANNNDDDD then the reverse and double albright can have the tag end looped like knot 3. or locked off like the 4.

littlejim
26-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm a fan of the Centauri knot. Easy to tie in the dark, (basically loops), lies flat, can be used to join lines, and busts at line strength.

Ausfish
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Have added a couple of more knots

Double Uni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJBGkoH7_7M

Slim Beauty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQL_bBh7hs

Use pause and slide bar to step through and pause knot sequence