PDA

View Full Version : Crab pot floats

WalrusLike
08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Fellas who is it do ya reckon that is littering all the damn channels with undersized bloody near invisible floats?

Is it you?

Or is it pros?

They must be at least 15cms in any direction so I reckon nearly every damn one is undersized.

I am tired of having to be alert for every ripple on the surface to avoid running the damn things over. And why bung em in the main channel lines?

Rant over. :)

I feel better now. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

captain rednut
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
what area are you talking about as we have them at bribie island to avoid too.

rosco1974
08-06-2013, 07:49 PM
prob both pro and amature crabbers mate...as far as I am aware you can crab in channels except those areas what its noted on charts as a no crab pot zone....

Muddy Toes
08-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Why on Earth would people tie seagulls to their crab pots?

Feral
08-06-2013, 08:31 PM
What? need to sharpen your prop? ;)

WalrusLike
08-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I see them everywhere in Moreton bay.... North and south.... Most often with a waaay undersized float.

The channel thing... yeah it might be legal but is it smart? Is that the only spot where the crabs are? I doubt it. The other thing is if you plant em in the channel then your bloody boat is going be a traffic hazard when you service them....

There's plenty of non channel spots... Why go in the channel?

In fact if they aren't in the channel then my size complaint doesn't arise because we won't be planning along in those non channel shallow areas.

As for the open bay... bigger floats please.... Then we might see them BEFORE we are on them.

(I don't like to moan normally.... Just can't understand why this happens so much??)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WalrusLike
08-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Feral are you saying a prop would just cut em? I've never wanted to experiment.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Muddyfeet
08-06-2013, 10:48 PM
There are heaps in Weinam Creek mate. And a few crab pots as well. But probably more seagulls than crab pots. My sister was once bitten by a moose!

Muddyfeet
08-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Mind you moose bights can be pretty nasty!

Gon Fishun
08-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Mind you moose bights can be pretty nasty!

Depends where she was bitten. Your back yard or hers.

rosco1974
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
the channel is the safest place to put them and yes most good crabbing spots are on the drop off into channels, I crab there and will do for years to come...but most boaties know where these hot spot crabbing places are and go wider of where they know most people crab.its mainly pro crabbers who have the half floats