PDA

View Full Version : Wondall Road Marine Closing Down

Shark Poker
08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Well after more than 30 years, Wondall Road Marine is closing down.
The business has been operating in Wondall Road, Tingalpa for many years. And has been a major sales and service dealer for Mercury.
It is sad to see them move because they have so many long term clients and followers.
And in my opinion represent old school standards of quoting, service and warranty support. Which you might not see again.
The operation is basically moving to Horizon Shores to provide service. I hope it goes well for them.
Pauly

robsue
08-06-2013, 03:40 PM
sorry, i cant share your opinion of wondall rd marine
dealt with them for years servicing my mercury, then last service after 2 trips, motor wouldnt start when warm, towed home twice at my expense, took boat back both times, it started when cold for them and said what do u want us to do, it starts.....had a gutful traded it in, and here is my point, when assessed for tradein, they had problems starting it, found out when they got it running the tuning was over 10 degrees out, how hard was that to recognise for experienced mechanic, hope they get their karma

rosco1974
08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
troy is owner of t&s boatsales located at horizon shores,think its a smart move for them personally as they offer service discounts for all boats sold through there brokerage...

wirlybird
08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
i wasn't aware there was one there????

Shark Poker
08-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi Robsue, in the early 1990's I can recall a couple errors from that company myself.
Sorry about your experience.
However this is a continuing example of industry reduction rather than growth.

kingcray
08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
i bought my tinny from them 2 years ago , i remember troy and wasnt it his brother also that worked there? they seemed like good dudes , i got a great deal on my boat n have had no issues since, sorry to hear they are also finished

ozscott
08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?192010-Where-to-get-my-Merc-serviced&highlight=wondall

Yep... but see the above post as to a great alternative in the CBD. Keeping it in the family.

Cheers

rayken1938
08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I have known and dealt with them for over 40 years since they were in New Cleveland road and find it a little hard to understand the problem that Robsue had with them. 10 degrees out is a hell of a lot and the motor would have been running rough as guts.
Over the years I have recommended a lot of people to them and have only had excellent feedback with Brian and boys going that extra mile to satisfy customers.
Their existing telephone number will be diverted to the coast with Brian remaining in Brisbane and he will provide mobile servicing for the Brisbane area.
Cheers
Ray

ozscott
08-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Romeo that

All ways good fellas- when Michael went out on his own happy to help him with my business and he's closer.

Cheers

Noelm
09-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Not exactly sure where the marine industry is going to end up in the long term. More and more dealers are closing and moving on,Why? Maybe more and more are doing home repairs because help is available on world wide forums on how to fix/service motors? Maybe more discount chain stores selling "bread and butter" items (oil and odds and ends)? Dont know for sure, but, I think we will see only a few big time operators in the future, much like department stores now, perhaps even manufacturer owned dealerships??

soulfish
09-06-2013, 07:00 AM
My experiance with the 3 stooges has been a good one...once my boat was on the travel lift about to be put in the water ,when i noticed a leaking trim ram on my optimax.It was 430 on a friday arvo & a quick call to troy & he dropped what he was doing & came to marina & sorted it.
They then seviced my verado on my next boat for 4 years,no problems
I wish the boys well in the future

Shark Poker
09-06-2013, 07:38 AM
I agree with Noelm.
Manufacturer Owned Dealerships are surely going to exist in the future.
In 2008 there were 6 delerships near where I live (Bayside Motorama, Mr.Ts, Leisure, Nu Marine, Wondall Rd and Wynnum)
Now it's just Wynnum Marine.

With no outlets for even major brands like Suzuki, Mercury, Honda, Quintrex, Haines around here now, SURELY the manufacturers are suffering from poor sales and limited future options.

Feral
09-06-2013, 07:56 AM
The economy is tanking, just look at all the empty shops on local shopping strips. No one is spending their loot on leisure stuff like boats, its only going to get worse.

Vitamin Sea
09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
As Brian said to me, they cannot survive on the servicing of outboards whilst maintaining a premises, sales/margins has been steadily declining over the last 3 years, people are not spending the money.

At HS there is a LOT more stern drives, inboards, a lot more profitable work, I wish them all the best, good family business.

Blackened
09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
G'day

I can fill everyone in, as I deal with the owners of Wondall Road Marine personally every day on both personal and business levels.

The workshop where they have been at for years on Wondall road in Tingalpa will be shut down soon as they have decided to combine both businesses in the one location.

Wondall Rd Marine is now situated in Horizon Shores Marina along with their other business, a boat brokerage, T and S Boat Sales previously situated at Calypso Bay.

They're in the older shed section on the corner and occupying Shed 1 and 2 at the moment. Drive in, pass the cafe and marina office on the left, they are on the right, next to the old yard entrance where the travellift is, near Ship Shape Ships and East Coast Trimming.

It's business as usual, just a different location.

They are continuing to look after their existing client base with a full mobile service available.

Dave.

ozscott
09-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes - I understood they were still going just different location. So all good.

Cheers