PDA

View Full Version : Making a tinny dryer - any tips

Firsttimefisherman
08-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi guys, I have a 4.4m tinny which I'd like to make a little dryer to ride in when it gets into a bit of chop.

I understand this is an eternal question and could be a futile effort, but there's plenty of guys on here with great ideas that may have mastered the sea spray.

Maybe I just continue to wear a raincoat but keen for your advice.

It's a tiller steer Stessco.

Danny

Seahorse
08-06-2013, 07:23 AM
I was going to put one of those spray things around bow rail before i sold mine. I thought they would stop the spray.
Trim motor.

Greg

fisho8
08-06-2013, 07:46 AM
As Seahorse said mate a set of spray shields should do the trick they will need to be made to size of course so they do not obstruct your vision though. Most marine trim shops make them.

Example

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14774983&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=120&eapi=2

WalrusLike
08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
The other day a tinnie trimmed bow way up came round the corner with me at speed coming other way.

I don't think he even saw me. Just be careful you don't stop the spray and all vision... :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Malcolm W
08-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Google Kapten Boat Collars. Good for stability, spray and safety. Bit expensive though.

gpz1991
08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
The other day a tinnie trimmed bow way up came round the corner with me at speed coming other way.

I don't think he even saw me. Just be careful you don't stop the spray and all vision... :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Years ago mate had tinny with high bow rails and spray shields done as clears

Sheik
08-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I owned an old dehavilland a few years ago and the spray shields did no good at all. I also owned a little stessco 4.2 with a 30 yammie 3 cyl which was a fantastic little boat. It was a little wet at times but not as bad as the allycraft or the stacer i owned after it. Perhaps you could try to move the motor up or down to get a higher lift on the nose when you're underway? Someone I was talking to recently with a much bigger boat had hydrofoils on and he learnt to lean the boat towards the wind while underway so the spray on the windy side went down into the water rather than up and over. I have a few designs that i would like to try on open boats bc i like an open boat but am sick of getting wet. I'm too old!
Having said all that, ... yeah a better raincoat might be the cheapest way out of it.

Firsttimefisherman
09-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks all for the tips. I will try tilting the motor around a bit then look at spending some money.