PDA

View Full Version : Any disadvantage using vb cord for outrigger halyards?

thylacene
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
After a long a drawn out exercise I have finally got outrigger bases and poles sorted. Rigged up with 600 mono halyards. Have not had a chance to use them yet, but setting up to to try them out in the driveway I have worked out that the mono is difficult to "keep tidy" when the poles are collapsed and stored in the side pockets. The mono holds its shape and does not coil or uncoil easily, and basically is hard to manage.

Was wondering if anyone has used Venetian blind cord as outrigger halyards, and if so are there any disadvantages?

Cheers

Thy

Smithy
03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
VB cord is fine. You can tidy the mono up with rod savers or make your own velcro ones up.

thylacene
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Had thought about Velcro or similar, but the thought of screwing with twelve metres of 2mm mono every time isn't appealing.

Any clue on what size vb cord? 2mm enough?

Cheers

Thy

Smithy
09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Dunno, just the stuff on the coils from your local hardware store of if you can live with green, the army disposal stores.

Midnight
09-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I have used spectra from Bias or Whitworths on my last 2 boats. It is zero stretch, nice on your hands when you run them up and down and it lasts well in the sun.