PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil

ozscott
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi all. Going to fill my box chassis with fish oil...she will be sealed up tight. I was using oil but changed my mind.

What's the cheapest place to buy say 20l in a drum? Very handy to spray on and let dry on components too.

Cheers

Spaniard_King
03-06-2013, 05:38 AM
septone make a 4l drum , never seen it in a 20L

Spaniard_King
03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Cheapest I have seen is $62 for 4l from super cheap

Chimo
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Could you mix it with say mineral turps as an extender and to get it into all the cracks and crevices?

Cheers
Chimo

PS Gary, do you do wheel bearing / brake service on caravans as at the place you did the steering not too long ago?

dnej
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
septone do a 20 litre Garry. I have one . Cutting oil is also good, as it mixes with water, if any gets in, and you can replace it every now and then. I have a drain plug for the purpose. Which reminds me , I need to have a look at it now.
David

dnej
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.septone.com.au/prod_img/AUFO20.jpgThe 20 litre can.

Spaniard_King
03-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Could you mix it with say mineral turps as an extender and to get it into all the cracks and crevices?

Cheers
Chimo

PS Gary, do you do wheel bearing / brake service on caravans as at the place you did the steering not too long ago?

Chimo I would but I am absolutely flat out ATM, got 3 x 250's and a 150 to get out the door in the next 2 weeks

dnej
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
so Garry does that mean fishing is off the agenda as well?

David

Spaniard_King
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Yep, I am tied up with and Under 19 rugby league side(manager) as well and my little son plays under 13's so not much free time on weekends either

Spaniard_King
03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
http://www.septone.com.au/prod_img/AUFO20.jpgThe 20 litre can.

find somewhere who retails it

GAFYM
03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Have just bought a new trlr. $9 grand thank u very much and was trying to solve this very prob. Have made a few enquiries re rustproofing and
been told that "cavity wax" is the way to go.
Any ideas for or against?

ozscott
03-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I think the problem is that the cold steel in winter will produce condensation on the inside (which I can see now). Dnej - I know what you mean. I was going to use oil - engine - but the oil will float on the water. I did spray inside the channel with Xstroll rust conqueror (bare duragal steel) but I dont know how much vaporisation coverage I got - looks ok but I want to be sure. So then I thought fish oil, because its sticky as anything but still runs well and would splash up well on the inside roof of the box sections, BUT it may not stick if there is water condensate there - although I think it would knock it off. I dont know though what would happen with the fish oil. I think while its all open I will fish oil inside and let it get a grip on the bottom at least.

Alternatively I could degrease the whole inside of the rails and start again and stick in a few litres of Xtroll and drive it around until it coats all the surfaces fully.

Dnej - when you say cutting oil do you mean to use is machine cutting/bar oil for chainsaws or other?

Cheers

dnej
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
milling and drilling etc ( cutting oil)Needs to be water soluble type. I will look at the one I have and get back to you.

Garry I will take a look at where I got the fish oil from . Cant remember at the moment.
David

dnej
04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
This is the cutting oil. I purchased from Blackwoods.
1 x20 Litre Dromus BL Shell Oil

ozscott
04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks mate - PDS says it is suitable for down to 5 degrees c...my place gets to below zero in Winter. It cautions against freezing....so not sure if thats a goer for me.

Cheers