PDA

View Full Version : Trailer maintenance tips

Makita
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Just wondering what I should be putting on the wheel nuts on my traiker etc to keep the rust away & any other trailer maintenance tips would be greatly appreciated ! Cheers

Axl
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Just wondering what I should be putting on the wheel nuts on my traiker etc to keep the rust away & any other trailer maintenance tips would be greatly appreciated ! Cheers

Once a year I pull the wheels off and have a look at the bearings and brakes. If the bearings are ok I repack them and they go back in (still on the original sets 4 years now) as for the wheel nuts I use Never Sieze on mine but it is expensive, luckily I didnt pay for the pot I have.

Any sort of grease would do the same thing I use bearing grease to coat all the bolts under the trailer that have had the galvanise taken off them when they were originaly done up. I basicly cover every nut bolt or u bolt that I see rust on in grease.

Last year I had to replace the brake pads (override cable brakes) due to corrosion and I also had to use an angle grinder on the disc's to get all the corrosion of them.

Last of all I check the brake cable for adjutment grease up the gears on the winch then go fishing for another year;).

Makita
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks very much Axl appreciate the advice

johncar
02-06-2013, 07:48 PM
INOX MX3 is good around the trailer, I just buy it by the 5 litres and squirt it around the whole trailer a few times per year depending on how much I am using it. It is cheap, clean and relatively easy to apply with a simple squirt bottle. If you want to get up inside the box section it is easy enough with a bit of thought.
But yeah keep a good eye on your hub seals and check the bearings at least once per year, at least knock the dust caps off and check the colour and texture of the grease and make sure it doesn't resemble rusty looking mud. Get in the habit of running the back of your hand over the wheel centres any time you pull off the road while on any trip and check for more than normal heat.

Justin Rossiter
02-06-2013, 09:13 PM
+1 for the innox

Also have used fish oil in the past but got sick of the stray cats pissing on my trailer

J

gpz1991
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
+ 2 another for innox

Makita
03-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Cheers for all the advice , I use innox in all my rifle bores , it's good gear ! Does anyone use lanolin spray on there outboard ? Heard a fella talking bout it at the boat ramp yesterday

Rip it up
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
I like the lanolin spray for corrosion areas. Leaves a waxy finish and has worked well for me on the boat trailer and 4wd

TheRealAndy
04-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Been using lanox for years, not just on outboards and boat electricals, but also been using it in wet factories as an instrument fitter since I was an apprentice (20 years ago now!!). Just dont get lanox on stuff that moves, because its slippery when hot, and like super glue when really cold (winter).

captain rednut
04-06-2013, 09:54 PM
INOX MX3 is good around the trailer, I just buy it by the 5 litres and squirt it around the whole trailer a few times per year depending on how much I am using it. It is cheap, clean and relatively easy to apply with a simple squirt bottle. If you want to get up inside the box section it is easy enough with a bit of thought.
But yeah keep a good eye on your hub seals and check the bearings at least once per year, at least knock the dust caps off and check the colour and texture of the grease and make sure it doesn't resemble rusty looking mud. Get in the habit of running the back of your hand over the wheel centres any time you pull off the road while on any trip and check for more than normal heat.
hey john do you spray your trailer disc brakes with inox too whilst its in storage?? i have considered it but thought it might smoke next tow??
cheers jim