PDA

View Full Version : Gopro fishing videos best angle on small boats

wetryin
01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
In my everyday life I have the opportunity of using cameras extensively everyday including 35mm digital and gopros and I also have looked at heaps of videos of fishing on boats and am looking at getting a different view for my next fishing expedition. You can mount the video on the canopy and get a backward looking shot (photo 4) of the boat but you loose the shot when you catch and land the fish. I have also a chest and helmet mount but both of these are hindered when the other person on the boat is landing the fish so its sort of a compromise- the best shot if either (or both) lands the fish.

Today I looked at mounting the go pro on a pool pole (with the boat in front of my house) for a unique fishing shot where you can not only see the fishing action but also the landing of the catch (I improvised with the use of a simple pool pole for my elevated photos) and mounted it on the centre rocket launcher on the bait board (have a bar crusher). shot is good on wide 7mp (photo 2) but lost the possible fish off the side of the boat but when I turn it to 12 mp wide (photo 1) which is obviously the best setting unfortunately the pole shows. Has anyone experimented on the best outcome on different brackets to shoot at this such a wide angle?
I know it wont work to shoot videos on rough days out due to the rocking motion on the boat but if I know it works I will leave my setup in place for a day that I can use it.
I am thinking now to have it in another sleeve permanently mounted on the bait board at a lower angle than the rocket launcher with another bracket to extend and secure the mount in front of the pole to be able to use it on 12mp wide setting without seeing the pole support, with a 90 degree angle upwards to have the camera shoot without seeing a bracket attached to the pole.
Has anyone done this or does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have 2 fishing trips later this year to shoot videos!!!
Photo 3 is of my simple monopod (pool) pole mount and photo 4 is of a 7mp wide shot on the canopy mount where you can see any landing of the fish is lost from the shot.

Your thoughts appreciated.
David
93183Widest setting on 12mp setting. Note pole mount showing
931847mp wide. Note landing any fish off back of boat lost
93185My simple mount for the go pro on a pool pole
93186Normal 7mp wide setting- can go wider to 12 mm but still lose pulling fish out of water shot plus landing fish obstructed by fishermen on boat

tenzing
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
What about on the pole up in the rocket launcher.
The elastic head mount also works a treat.
Mounted on the Jesus bar looking back from the cockpit at a lower level gets most action without seeing over the side.
Cheers
Brendan

RayLamp
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I reckon when you go wide (20mm or less), you lose some of the natural shapes etc. I like your position on the rocket launcher looking back - I would still try 20mm and above for that. I think then, you could use the suction cup mount on the side of the boat when the fish is near the side of the boat. Once it gets brought up, you then use the vision from another camera, using a tube mount with a standard camera mount thread (manfrotto has these, i've got one and its a solid little thing.

Thats just one take on it. No matter what you do, it should look good!

wayno60
01-06-2013, 10:59 PM
I made up a little bracket for ther gopro to fit onto the centre console.
from that angle i can see about 6 foot of gunwale either side and of cause the stern.

marto78
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
JMO but why not use the 7mm setting on the pole and just pull your fish in over the side of the boat?

When drifting the fish all tend to come up on one side of the boat anyways.

wetryin
02-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Hadnt thought of the rocket launcher and will try it; that way the camera is on the underside of the pole and it wont show the pole.

Still_Dreamin
02-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Maybe a second camera and get 2 view points. What you miss on one get on the other and edit the footage later.

FishHunter
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I have a camera in thge bimini which covers from the back of the seats backwards, all my fish come in over the side so all visible, I also have a handheld camera which whoever doesnt have a fish on uses to get another angle and the fish coming up to the side of the boat allthough the camera on a pole idea needs thinking about