PDA

View Full Version : Best treatment for fuel tank

Marchy001
31-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Had an issue with salt water making its way in to the fuel tank the other day due to some muppet leaving the fuel cap off......
Have finally removed as much water as I think is possible as the water separating filter is no longer extracting any water but there is still 130+L of fuel in the tank and I would like to give it a hit with something to remove some of the film that I'm guessing is in the fuel tank / system. What are the best ones for the job?

It's a Johnson/Suzuki DF140 if that makes any difference or if there is anything else I should clean/replace on the engine side of things?

Don't think much made its way to the engine as it was still running fine and when I drained the filter the first time it was around 1/3 full of water.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Marchy

Spaniard_King
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
You don't need anything, just use it as normal and keep an eye on the separator. It's doing what it is designed to do.

gruntahunta
01-06-2013, 07:20 AM
A cupful of metho in the tank would not hurt and help to evaporate any water that is left.

Triple
01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
You don't need anything, just use it as normal and keep an eye on the separator. It's doing what it is designed to do.

+1
but if you must add something then I suggest Fueldoctors instead of metho AFTER you get the bulk of it out via the seperator - http://www.fueldoctors.com.au/

Fed
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Try pumping as much as you can out by tilting the trailer up as far as it will go.
That might mean steep sloping grass, a couple of bricks as chocks, a stand or two & a jack.

Then use the boat for a while to get the fuel level down, a big drink of metho and a drive around the block to give it a good mix up, then pump the lot out & start again with new fuel.

Metho or Dr whatever doesn't evaporate water it mixes with water & also mixes with fuel allowing the water to be burnt though the motor.

I'd be trying to avoid this as much as possible hence the reason for physically removing as much water as possible before adding any lotions or potions especially with a fuel injected engine.

Marchy001
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds like I am on the right track then. Might throw the boat in tomorrow and check the filter every few mins and once it stops finding water give it a hit with magic juice of some description to clean it up the last little bit.
Thanks guys for your assistance

gpz1991
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
A cupful of metho in the tank would not hurt and help to evaporate any water that is left.

I used to do the metho thing with my old boat but have found the it messes with the sensors in the fuel system on the new boat ,

Similar to as said above I tilt trailer up with the fork lift at work and then drain tank via water separator by disconnecting line to motor blocking 1breather and using the other to slightly pressurise with the compressor and checking the water bowl regularly, after this I would be changing the filters to be on the safe side

Fed
01-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Maybe you'd be better off to pull the tank out and do it properly.

Roughasguts
01-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Metho ....... E-10 same thing if you ask me. I wouldn't use either, I have tried a bit of petrol and water in a glass jar! added metho and nothing happened, water still easily seen.

I would probably shove me bore scope in the tank have a look around for debris, rust scum etc and suck just that part out with a syphon hose, until clear.

Cheers.

Marchy001
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Took the boat out for a run today and checked the filter twice while on the water to get only very small amounts of water out. Hopefully I stop getting any out soon.
As for the fishing..... Well I was about to drop the lines and my 7yo decky for the day decided it was time to purge from one end of the boat to the other covering everything on the way. Followed by wanting to go home to mummy :(