PDA

View Full Version : Sat phones.

Muddy Toes
29-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Wasn't too sure where to put this question and to be quite frank I really don't, if any mods move this I'll see to it that you get banned!!!

So with the whole Swains Trailer trash trip happening a few of us were looking at hiring sat phones..............

and as one's does when they are faced with such important issues I turned to Google and found a thread on that Exploroz forum about them.

Someone on their claimed to be able to buy a sat phone outright without being on a plan and when they wanted to use it they could just put their 'normal' Telstra sim card in it and get charged a higher call rate when using the sat phone. So as with all good online forums this turned in to a 'what the F%^K would you know' kind of scenario and it was never resolved.

So I have two things I want to achieve.......

1. To find a definitive answer to the question of whether you can indeed do this.
2. To hopefully start a likened slanging match for my entertainment purposes.....

On your marks

Set

Go!!!!!!!!

wags on the water
29-05-2013, 10:01 PM
No mate you can't.............

Muddy Toes
29-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Bugger!!!!!

Thanks mate.............

Gon Fishun
29-05-2013, 10:12 PM
What :-? is that it then. :sleeping:
Where's Mr 1.2.3. man. :vrolijk_26:

Alchemy
29-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Give Satcom in Townsville a call. We hired one a couple of years ago for a two week boat trip into the Gulf. Cost about $200 including calls. The other advantage was that I got my wife to SMS us weather forecasts, plus we sent an SMS to the Karumba VMR every couple of days to update them on our location and status. Cheap insurance/peace of mind.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/satcom-hire/alligator-creek

Regards,
Dave.

Muddy Toes
29-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks Dave.............

I've hired one for this trip but I thought I may just look in to buying one as trips seem to go wider and wider these days.

Alchemy
29-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks Dave.............

I've hired one for this trip but I thought I may just look in to buying one as trips seem to go wider and wider these days.

No problem. Good luck with the search. I've considered buying one for the same reasons you are looking at too. Let us know if you find a reasonably priced option.

Muddy Toes
29-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Yep.............righto.

team_mongo
29-05-2013, 10:35 PM
I have an iridium phone outright. No Sat phone plan. Just put your telstra 3G sim in and it works. You need to have international roaming on, and all calls are indeed international roaming costs - that is freakin exepensive. When you call someone it comes up with your aussie number. PM if you have more questions.

TM

Muddy Toes
29-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks TM.

Wags........WTF!!!!:P;D8-)

That's what the thread on that other forum said too............

Fantastic!!! Cost for calls isn't too much of a concern, it's just going to be for emergencies (and harassing LP at stupid o'clock in the morning when the fish are quiet).

wags on the water
29-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks TM.

Wags........WTF!!!!:P;D8-)

That's what the thread on that other forum said too............

Fantastic!!! Cost for calls isn't too much of a concern, it's just going to be for emergencies (and harassing LP at stupid o'clock in the morning when the fish are quiet).

Sorry mate - but you asked for it....:P

Dicktracey
30-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Looks like you showed the mods Muddy and had them banned ;)
Better start practicing Mommy's & Daddies for the big house at this rate champ,

Boat Hog
30-05-2013, 05:35 AM
YES you can. ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I have an Iridium Sat phone and use my TELSTRA Sim card in it. You need to have International (Global) Roaming enabled on your plan and you're good to go. This is the second time I have posted this on AUSFISH in a thread about Sat Phones!!! ::)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?185769-Satillite-phone&highlight=satellite+phones

Cheers,

banksmister
30-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Looks like you showed the mods Muddy and had them banned ;)
Better start practicing Mommy's & Daddies for the big house at this rate champ,

So If they let him back do you think they should make him change his name to “Touching ya toes”

fishing111
30-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks Gon Fishun, half my cup of tea is on monitor..Pisser

myusernam
30-05-2013, 08:56 AM
YES you can. ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

I have an Iridium Sat phone and use my TELSTRA Sim card in it. You need to have International (Global) Roaming enabled on your plan and you're good to go. This is the second time I have posted this on AUSFISH in a thread about Sat Phones!!! ::)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?185769-Satillite-phone&highlight=satellite+phones

Cheers,

+1 have one also with work telstra sim card global international roaming. telstra dont like it - loophole from what I have found out

LOL all those people above who say you cant. fill the bilge?
just buy the phone (iridium) and throw in the sim.
If you have the older size iridium phone you need the outer but a sim card comes in (just tape in place) because it takes the whole big card. The newer types are a nicer phone and take the standard size sim

ozynorts
30-05-2013, 09:48 AM
+1 have one also with work telstra sim card global international roaming. telstra dont like it - loophole from what I have found out

So by the time "touch your toes" buys one Telstra will have changed things so that it no longer works...;)

myusernam
30-05-2013, 11:20 AM
So by the time "touch your toes" buys one Telstra will have changed things so that it no longer works...;)
been like that for years (ive been using it for 7). they don't advertise that you cant do it, put it that way. they'd rather sell you a satphone plan at min $30 a month.

cro142
01-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I have been using an iridium phone with my Telstra 3G (lately) SIM card put in when the sat is needed for the last 5 years.
Have used it on numerous outback trips mainly.

Also when my son solo-sailed his 30' yacht out to Cato Island, Wreck Reef etc, from Brisbane, he took the Sat Phone and I talked to him twice daily re weather reports, weather conditions and fishing stories!!
He did this both in 2011 and 2012, and this communications system worked well.

Peter C

wrxhoon
01-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I have one as well and I use my Telstra sim from my galaxy S3 when I go offshore . As others said international roaming, very expensive and sound quality crap and delayed. I only use it on urgent calls.

SnapHead101
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Does this trick also work with the inmarsat isatphone, or just the iridium ? Also you say calls are expensive, how much are they ?