PDA

View Full Version : Direct from Fisherman to customer

Back In Black
28-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Just saw an interesting piece on CNN. A group of fisherman have got together & formed a "group, coop"?? whereby they advertise their product just caught on a website called wwwilovebluesea.com & they dispatch it directly to customers, cutting out all the middle men.
Interesting fact quoted was 70% of the worlds processed seafood comes out of China & averages 30-60 days old.

Tony

lethal
28-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Good idea Tony, I give away so much fish and it'd be nice to get a bit back.
Where do I sign up?

Muddy Toes
28-05-2013, 10:38 PM
So let me get this right.........

If I were out off 1770 for a couple of days on a fishing trip and I had nothing in the esky (a very likely scenario) and I called these guys they could deliver me half a dozen reds, ten trout, 8 pearlies and 6 blue Maoris out at sea so I could come home and take some photos so I could put a half decent report up for once?

Hmmmmmmmm, interesting......................

thelump
29-05-2013, 07:33 AM
So let me get this right.........

If I were out off 1770 for a couple of days on a fishing trip and I had nothing in the esky (a very likely scenario) and I called these guys they could deliver me half a dozen reds, ten trout, 8 pearlies and 6 blue Maoris out at sea so I could come home and take some photos so I could put a half decent report up for once?

Hmmmmmmmm, interesting......................

No such thing as a blue Maori. Oh. Hang on. James Tamou is.

Noelm
29-05-2013, 08:15 AM
while that does sound like a great idea, in reality there is all sorts of laws that prevent fisherman from just selling their catch and bypassing co-ops and so on, there is exceptions, but not many.

Back In Black
29-05-2013, 08:33 AM
while that does sound like a great idea, in reality there is all sorts of laws that prevent fisherman from just selling their catch and bypassing co-ops and so on, there is exceptions, but not many.

This is a US based thing, so I don't know what their rules & regs are, but it seems to have quite a following.

Probably similar to the farmers markets which are getting bigger & bigger here, where the farmers are selling direct to the consumer.

What are the regs regarding selling seafood direct in Aus??

Tony

Triple
29-05-2013, 09:26 AM
What are the regs regarding selling seafood direct in Aus??

Tony

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_3040.htm
=
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_15418.htm

and how to get started -
http://www.business.qld.gov.au/industry/fisheries/commercial-fishing/commercial-fishing-queensland

Noelm
29-05-2013, 10:08 AM
There is also (somewhere in the Gov redtape) statements to the effect that commercial catch must be sold through the relevant authorities, this is the means by which catch rates and tax and so on is based, in NSW all catch is taken through co-ops which then send on to the Sydney Fishmarkets for sale, there are some exceptions to the laws, and certain places and certain species are able to be sold elsewhere, but records still need to be kept, Abalone is an example of this, and possibly Mullet? Also in very remote areas, there can be a "consent" applied for, this enables the fisherman to see direct to retailers and so on, but in the main, it is quite tightly regulated for a variety of reasons.

Lancair
29-05-2013, 11:17 AM
There is a local trawler here in Ballina that has applied to local council to sell their catch to the public. The want to tie up to a wharf in town and sell direct.

Noelm
29-05-2013, 11:31 AM
The Council is only part of the issue, they are only intersted in the "hawkers license" as it is called, the NSW State Fisheries will hold the cards as far as whether he can do it or not, unless of course he is only using a boat as a 'shop" so people think the stuff he is selling was just caught! There was a guy donw Greenwell Point way that did that, he made a good living, the boat never moved, but customers would flock to it.

Moonlighter
29-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I believe that commercial fishers in Qld can, if they get the right approvals, sell direct to the public as individual businesses.

If you go to the Southport seaway near Seaworld, you can buy direct from the trawlers there - have been doing this for many years, its wide out in the open, advertising signs etc so it must be legit. I think they sell out so quickly that they havent had to do what those guys in the US have done and sell via the internet.

So in Qld, it is nothing new. We have had fisherments co-ops since Adam was a boy.

netmaker
29-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Just saw an interesting piece on CNN. A group of fisherman have got together & formed a "group, coop"??

you watch too much telly mate. getting your progams/ads mixed up. 20 chickens agreed to form a group and moved into a coop;);D

Back In Black
29-05-2013, 03:22 PM
you watch too much telly mate. getting your progams/ads mixed up. 20 chickens agreed to form a group and moved into a coop;);D

You make me laugh you knob!!