PDA

View Full Version : anyone use fuel additives?

frontflip90
28-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I have a 6.4m trailcraft with a 150 merc 2s efi, ive been umming and arghing weather to use it or not, as im running premium anyway and I have 250lt tank so it would be quite a lot of additive to add for a full tank. thoughts?

bf90
28-05-2013, 06:27 PM
I have only used premium in my honda since new in 08, personally I think if you stick to premium fuel ya should have no problems. To date I have 500 hours and not a single problem.

Moonlighter
28-05-2013, 06:30 PM
I had a conversation with my Suzuki mechanic along the same lines a while ago.

His advice was instead of additive, to run a full tank of premium unleaded thru it every now and then instead, achieves the same result, and cheaper and easier than adding 10 tins of additive to a large tank.

So thats my plan.

Steeler
28-05-2013, 07:21 PM
only fuel stabilizer such as stabil

gpz1991
28-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I had a conversation with my Suzuki mechanic along the same lines a while ago.

His advice was instead of additive, to run a full tank of premium unleaded thru it every now and then instead, achieves the same result, and cheaper and easier than adding 10 tins of additive to a large tank.

So thats my plan.

My mechanic said something similar, so fill up with premium every 3-4 tank, 2stroke efi merc, 10 yrs old 400 hrs never a prob

frontflip90
28-05-2013, 07:37 PM
I guess that's the other question premium or just unleaded, ive always been told premium always but another mate with a shark cat with 2 new 250 yammies he rekons he has to run just normal unleaded or else his motors play up

gpz1991
28-05-2013, 08:08 PM
I have run my EFI 150 2stroke for the last 5 years with no issue on 91 Ron ULP, every 4 th tank I fill up with premium, tank is always left full, and emptied about every 12 months before new filters, I have never been able to tell any difference between the 91 and 95-98 Ron performance.

bf90
28-05-2013, 08:11 PM
premium will sit a lot longer before it goes stale, on an average trip out I would use 50 litres, because I only use premium it would cost me an extra $2.50 over ordinary ulp. Look at it this way, if you buy a pie, what are they worth now? $3.50 /$4 there abouts, ya think nothing of spending the $4 on a pie, why worry about a few bucks extra on the premium fuel?

bf90
28-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I have run my EFI 150 2stroke for the last 5 years with no issue on 91 Ron ULP, every 4 th tank I fill up with premium, tank is always left full, and emptied about every 12 months before new filters, I have never been able to tell any difference between the 91 and 95-98 Ron performance.

when I used to run the old school 2 bangers I could not tell the difference with the ordinary to premium fuel either, I put it down to the oil getting mixed with the fuel killing the octane, i dont know, but I sure as hell know there is a difference when the one and only time I used it in my honda, it idled like a dog and was not a happy camper even under way, soon as the premium went back in it was all good and smooth again. may be some motors require premium fuel? I know some cars are to be fueled with premium only just my 10c worth :)

Darren Mc
28-05-2013, 08:42 PM
I always fill up with BP Ultimate and I use a fuel stabilizer for peace of mind. In fact I use BP Ultimate in everything I own, mowers, edger, blower, boat, cars just to keep everything clean internally and running properly. It really doesn't cost that much more to use the premium.

Fed
29-05-2013, 08:07 AM
I've been a high octane user all my life until I discovered a few years ago that both the car and boat seem to run better on poverty petrol.
It makes no sense at all but I'm not complaining.

JulianDeMarchi
29-05-2013, 08:23 AM
When I bought my Merc bigfoot the dealer told me that it should only run 98 or she'll not be happy.

stevej
29-05-2013, 08:40 AM
For what reason are you adding a additive? engine clean, fuel longevity, other ?

in a vented tank premium does not last longer as higher volatile additives are needed to get the 98 rating, these more readily evaporate.
the higher a fuels volatility the more readily it evaporates into the atmosphere
the fuel longevity additives have to be added soon after purchase not weeks later as they only preserve the old already degraded fuel

ring bp or shell and ask

myusernam
29-05-2013, 02:09 PM
IMHO You would be far better off using standard ULP and once every 50 or 100 hours running OMC carbon guard or similar to the tank and spraying OMC engine tuner down the throats (only familiar with the OMC products)

MudRiverDan
29-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Fuel like premium has higher octane, higher octane = lowers combustion heat levels.
Is the engine running hot?
Higher octane is always a bit easier on sensitive engines because it burns at a lower temperature.
That is all I know.
Bit smoother and can improve economy and engine life, but really , will not fix major issues.

Dan