PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to spraying with Tectyl?

fozzy
26-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Been slopping on the Tectyl on my trailer and want to do inside the box sections. The tin says not to thin the stuff so I tried spraying it just as it comes out of the tin - not a drop out of the nozzle. I'm using a supercheap degreaser gun and air compressor as mentioned hereabouts. It sprays water OK so I know it's not blocked.

Put the Tectyl tin into some hot water so it made it more runny and put some in the pot, same result. Lots of air, no tectyl.

Should I try to thin it with something, or should I change to inox for the insides? From what I've read that stuff will spray, or am I using the wrong type of paint gun for the Tectyl?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave

Giffo65
26-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I used white spirit to thin Tectyl to spray it using a degrease gun, worked well.

billfisher
26-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Where did you but it? I can't seem to find Tectyl in Sydney stores these days.

Shark Poker
26-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes as Giffo says you need to emulsify it first to mix it all together.
or you can lose the spray gun and use a brush, rag...

fozzy
26-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Billfisher,

I had to order it in from a Repco store up here, only took 2 days so nice and quick.

Fatbuoy,

I did think of a rag and a piece of conduit or a broomhandle to reach up the void, I'm just thinking that spraying has a greater chance of proper coverage. I'll try some white spirit and see how I go. Thanks for the tips guys.

Cheers,

Dave

Boat Hog
26-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Better than a rag is an old piece of sheepskin, or those decking oil applicator pads from a hardware/paint shop.

Spaniard_King
26-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I used normal thinners and a degreaser spray gun to apply..... worked well

GBC
26-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Petrol works to thin it.

captain rednut
26-05-2013, 09:18 PM
We mix 10% WD 40 or INOX in a 5 ltr bulk bottle to thin Tectyl

MyWay
27-05-2013, 12:39 AM
I did my trailer last weekend using normal thinner
my trailer turn from silver into gold ;D

fairpractice
27-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi. Tectyl from super cheap on order. suitable thinners used to date; my favourite dry cleaner, innox (not lannox as it eats galvanized dunbier trailers),universal paint thinner, kero. Thinner evaporates and tectyl is left in box section. You are using the right applicator. cheers john

TheRealAndy
27-05-2013, 06:06 PM
According to the datasheets you should only use white spirit, dry cleaning fluid or commercial aliphatic mineral spirits such as shelsol etc. The other stuff I imagine can compromise the product's anti corrosion properties.

GBC
28-05-2013, 05:34 AM
white spirit, shellite, naphtha (aliphatic mineral spirit) = petrol. Don't waste your money mate.

fozzy
28-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Cheers for the feedback guys, I have some unleaded in the mower tin and some turps. Gonna run a small experiment and see what works best.

Dave

TheRealAndy
28-05-2013, 08:20 AM
white spirit, shellite, naphtha (aliphatic mineral spirit) = petrol. Don't waste your money mate.

petrol is an aromatic, not a aliphatic spirit. I think aircraft fuels ate aliphatic, but dont quote me on that. Question for resident chemical engineer.