PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a side console 4.4 - 4.8m

myde
24-05-2013, 03:47 PM
I have had a SR17 Southwind which is still going well and I have kept her updated with a new motor, trailer, electronics etc). This boat has given 18 years of wonderful memories and great adventures. Alas, it is now proving too much to handle at the ramp now that my trusty First Mate has taken up golf, which means she doesn't come out much any more.

The boats that I have been looking at as a replacement are the Sea Jay Discovery Sports (either 4.4 or 4.8) side console and the Quintrex Renegade 420 side console. Motor-wise I was thinking of around 50-60 HP in either 4 stroke or ETEC.

The intended use is in estuaries or inshore coastal on favorable days.

Anyone have any thoughts about this? It's a hard decision for me because I have been so happy with my current boat for so long, I will be sad to see her go.

All ideas are welcome. (I did consider keeping the boat and changing the wife, but decided that a new boat was probably a cheaper option).

Thanks in advance....:)

Spiderpig
24-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Have you had a look at the polycraft 4.55 drifter?

I think you would find it hard to go from something as smooth riding as a southwind to a tinny.

Just something to consider; I have one and love it.

myde
24-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the idea. I have seen Polycraft boats around occasionally around here, but hadn't considered it till now. I just had a look at their web site and the 4.55 side console looks good for my purposes. What motor do you have?

Spiderpig
24-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I have a 60hp Merc bigfoot fourstroke, pushes it along nicely. They're pretty heavy for their size, but I can manage it on my own easily enough.

myde
24-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks Spiderpig. Happy with the Merc?

spelchek
25-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Myde, I've got a 4.4 escape sports SC with 40hp yammie. Love it. If i did it again i'd put a 50 on it. Not underpowered with a 40, but a 50 would give it some zing. I use mine crabbing, flicking lures around estuaries and out to the reefs around Bundy. Any sea jay specific questions I'm happy to answer if I can. I'm very happy with mine.

nathan dumschat
25-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Im thinking of selling my 4.8m Galeforce if your interested It has a 60hp yammy 4 banger with approx 150 hours. It has a 21 degree deadrise and will leave anything else in its class behind with out the chiropractor bill at the end of the day. Great boat just want to go bigger as im going further out and will end up getting caught in some bad weather one day.

Nathan

ranga7
25-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Look at TABS, was going to get a side console and that was the one i liked the best.

myde
25-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Nathan, Thanks for the response. I looked at the Galeforce boats on the web and they do look like a great boat. Unfortunately I think that I would have similar handling problems to my current boat. My local ramp is subject to strong current (and sometimes wind), and can only be approached from one side. I really need to go to something quite a bit lighter.

myde
25-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Ranga, thanks for the response. I will check these out.

myde
25-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Spelcheck, Thanks for the response.

I do have one question. Some other threads are suggesting that people should go for the 4.55 Sea Jay rather than the 4.4. Obviously the 4.55 will be a bit more expensive and heavier. What are your thoughts?

Is there a reason you went for the 4.4? I am mainly going to use the boat for estuary fishing.

gunna
25-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Make sure you look at these too.

http://www.clarkboats.com.au/Dominator-Series.php#details

They are optioned up really good - eg 2 plumbed tanks. Also 3mm sides.

I have the 435 with a 60 and its great.

myde
25-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks gunna. They have a local dealer so I will definitely check them out.

spelchek
26-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I went the 4.4 because I had just moved to Bundy and anticipated a lot of solo trips. I was ultra-paranoid of getting a boat too big to get off/on the trailer solo. If I were to do it again, I'd go a 5.5. That bit bigger would make for more comfort offshore with little difference at the ramp, in my humble opinion. If you're doing solo estuary stuff, the 4.4 will be fine for you. I'd go the 4.65 tho - bit bigger isn't going to hurt if a mate comes along.

Remember - you can add extras like a rear step etc. I had one put on, plus I had the bottom of my hull upgraded to 3mm, bowsprit/roller added and I really wish I'd remembered to order rear cleats when i bought it. Seajay are happy to customise to certain extent. Talk to you dealer about these sorts of options.

Spiderpig
27-05-2013, 05:54 AM
Very, would buy one again.

BGG
27-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Go the Poly 4.5n and go for max HP. I have a 60 Honda on mine and it's great. The great thing is you can't hurt them.