PDA

View Full Version : Rats-AGAIN !!!!!!

Back In Black
24-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Thought I'd cleaned the local population up, but when I went to put my bungs in, I found the rats had eaten the thread out where the bungs wind in!

More traps tonight.

Tony

Boat Hog
24-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Crikey! Those dirty rats are giving you hell . Time to go to full Terminator Mode!!

netmaker
24-05-2013, 03:38 PM
geez they must be hungry. maybe you just need to leave some less important snacks around?

FisHard
24-05-2013, 03:52 PM
So you could say the rats are eating the cat? Sorry, I know that's lame!

netmaker
24-05-2013, 03:57 PM
on the bright side tho - traditionally seamen worried most when the rats were abandoning the ship...

Lancair
24-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Just curious as to what attracted them to eat the bung hole ?
Do you have a live bait or kill tank that drains into the bilge ? or is it just wash off from the floor that ends up in there ? Maybe use some bleach to kill any odours that linger in there. If I don't use any bleach my carpet and bilge can get smelly quickly. Just a thought.

Back In Black
24-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Just curious as to what attracted them to eat the bung hole ?
Do you have a live bait or kill tank that drains into the bilge ? or is it just wash off from the floor that ends up in there ? Maybe use some bleach to kill any odours that linger in there. If I don't use any bleach my carpet and bilge can get smelly quickly. Just a thought.

No, the bait tank drains out & runs down below the motors. I'll try the bleach, or as someone suggested, some Dettol

I'm tempted to lock my avatar, Munch, in the shed. With a head like his, he would clear the district I reckon !!

Tony

Boat Hog
24-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Maybe you could have a Rat Catching M&G? :D

A bunch of half drunk Ausfishers running round your place with Clubs and Flaming Torches ..... what could possibly go wrong?! ;D::)

Andy H
24-05-2013, 04:48 PM
I've got a heap of carpet snakes hanging around my place. Your welcome to come and try and catch some. The big one was almost 2500mm long and I think it laid eggs in the ceiling because I removed a baby one last night. If I find one in my boat while I'm offshore I'll be swimming home!

gpz1991
24-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Time for metal bungs

bigjimg
24-05-2013, 06:26 PM
That would suck big time. When dollars start getting spent on the damage.I am checking these out at the moment, but mine is possums.Not one either a bloody army of them.Works on all uwanted pests. www.strayban.com.au (http://www.strayban.com.au)
Jim

LittleSkipper
24-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Plastic can't be too tasty? Maybe the Rats were sharpening their teeth for other delectable delights around your boat?

Mrs Ronnie H
24-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi
Try leaving some rat sack and a dish of water in your boat or up on something near it if you haven't any pets around. For good measure add a few teaspoons of plaster --they eat the rat sack and plaster, drink the water and you usually find them with a hard lump in their stomach. :)

Mrs h

Muddy Toes
24-05-2013, 07:33 PM
*Mental note*

Politely refuse a dinner invitation from Mrs Ronnie H 8-)

TREVELLY
24-05-2013, 07:42 PM

A bunch of half drunk Ausfishers running round your place with Clubs and Flaming Torches ..... what could possibly go wrong?! ;D::)

Don't forget the guns!! :rifle:

Tony, maybe you should train that avatar mutt to be more than just a pretty picture but a working dog! Or trade it in for a ratter!! :whip:

Muddy why do you think you will be mistaken for a rat!? :beatnik:

Shark Poker
24-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Why not turn it into a positive?
I have read that rats are hard to drown, and that they can swim well.
So catch a couple and put them out with a hook!
I am sorry about your boat maintenance issues, but what is better for you and more humane for your little rats; poison or a wahoo strike?

FisHard
24-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Why not turn it into a positive?
I have read that rats are hard to drown, and that they can swim well.
So catch a couple and put them out with a hook!
I am sorry about your boat maintenance issues, but what is better for you and more humane for your little rats; poison or a wahoo strike?
Well, personally, I think the poison, but I'm not bagging your idea.

Shark Poker
24-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Well I have thought a cane toad for live bait is a positive concept.

Back In Black
24-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Time for metal bungs

I'll take the bungs out at the ramp, drive home & then put them back in.

Should solve this issue, but will just divert their attention elsewhere

Tony

ozscott
24-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Mate we had rats until we got our short legged jack Russell - they are the craziest bits of kit around. If you were contemplating a new pup I recommend them...

Cheers

MudRiverDan
24-05-2013, 09:32 PM
heh.. rats will chew anything, just don't let em near your electrics, they love chewing wire coatings.

Dan

Horse
25-05-2013, 08:45 AM

Since when have you seen a bunch of Ausfishers only half drunk? That my good man is a slur on our hard fought reputation

boboncc
25-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Mate sorry to hear of your problems , that is really weird!
The Jack Russell suggestion is worth thinking about, they can't help themselves, always looking for something to do and love hunting.
We've had rats in the past that were after the horse feed and nesting in the roof causing some damage, but my wife's "favourite" takes care of them now. I swear at times that cat gets better attention than I do, I have even caught him asleep in the boat!

Cheers!
Bob

boboncc
25-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Horse

Sorry ..... my fat fingers on this iPad may have hit the report button by accident, not intentional!

Cheers
Bob

Horse
25-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Horse

Sorry ..... my fat fingers on this iPad may have hit the report button by accident, not intentional!

Cheers
Bob
When I get banned everyone will know why

Boat Hog
26-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Since when have you seen a bunch of Ausfishers only half drunk? That my good man is a slur on our hard fought reputation

Normally half drunk at the start of a Meet and Greet ...... it progresses from there (Except for Muddy Toes - he's a little Angel :wings:).

Feral
26-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Rotten things invade the house every time we get a cold spell. Sounds like a jamacan steel bad when they start running across the metal bars in the roof.
I poison the sods and the wife whinges about the smell for a week or so and alls good until the next cold spell!

Worse since the wife insisted I make a chook pen for the daughter.

theoldlegend
26-05-2013, 06:52 AM
*Mental note*

A pox on you Anthony, for such a scurrilous statement!!

You obviously haven't sampled the delicious food and desserts Mrs Ronnie H makes. I have.

TOL

MudRiverDan
26-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Mate sorry to hear of your problems , that is really weird!
The Jack Russell suggestion is worth thinking about, they can't help themselves, always looking for something to do and love hunting.
We've had rats in the past that were after the horse feed and nesting in the roof causing some damage, but my wife's "favourite" takes care of them now. I swear at times that cat gets better attention than I do, I have even caught him asleep in the boat!

Cheers!
Bob

Thats true, I had one as a kid, remember one day I was out the back and lifted a bit of tin.

There was a rat underneath and before I even could recognise it was a rat the dog grabbed it and snapped its neck :o
They snap their necks by shaking them, took about 1 second for the dog to grab and kill the rat. :o

Though I reckon those big carpet snakes will get into tighter spaces than a jack.
Carpet snake will raid the nest and eat the babies.

Plenty of rats in Brisbane mate, except most of them are the two legged variety. ;)

Dan

wags on the water
26-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Tony - try using vanilla spray instead of the bleach. Wash boat and let dry. Spray vanilla above carpet - not directly at carpet. Next day spray in boat again. If smell persists, then there's a yakka/pilly/dead livie lying somewhere in your boat. Remove yakka/pilly/dead nonlivie and repeat process.

Muddy Toes
26-05-2013, 02:46 PM
A pox on you Anthony, for such a scurrilous statement!!

You obviously haven't sampled the delicious food and desserts Mrs Ronnie H makes. I have.

TOL

No I haven't kind sir..........hence my anger fueled response!!!

Not half as tasty but always satisfying!!!!!;D:-X:o

SCOTTYGC
28-05-2013, 02:39 PM
the rats are just wearing there teeth down as there teeth keep growing all the time

the only way to stop them is by trap or a bait

the talon squares you get from bunnings are the go
and you need to tie them down with some wire so they cant take it away

then you need to find them when they die (give it a few days and you should be able to track them down )

good luck

sid_fishes
28-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Normally half drunk at the start of a Meet and Greet ...... it progresses from there (Except for Muddy Toes - he's a little Angel :wings:).
an angel....nah more like a NUN

Mrs Ronnie H
28-05-2013, 07:47 PM
*Mental note*

HAHA LMAO

Thats just what we used to do on the farm. kids used to go out with the shovel next morning and give them a wack to bust the plaster.

lbger
29-05-2013, 03:26 PM
you can borrow my mrs's cat, and no i wont want him back lol

netmaker
29-05-2013, 04:21 PM
here's a tip I got from the local hardware bloke: if using traps, tie some light string around the bait attachment point a few times. cunning buggers have a habit of taking the bait and missing the trap. they get their teeth caught in the string and they don't escape.

MudRiverDan
29-05-2013, 07:45 PM
you have to set the trap light so it smacks em clean across the head.
Just get a carpet snake and save yourself the technicalities.

Dan

Fed
30-05-2013, 08:45 AM
My old man used to melt cheese onto the trigger but if you want instant results use a chunk of Mars Bar as bait.