PDA

View Full Version : yeppoon Radio range / single engine out past radio range

CATchin'Em
24-05-2013, 06:54 AM
I have a couple of questions.
How is everyone from yeppoons radio range. I have found I loose radio reception at karamea barcoo about (95-100km out) I loose all reception.

The reason I ask this is I am seeing a lot of single engine boats out past this range.
I have queried this with quite a few of the boat owners/skippers to be told that the vhf is there only form of commmunication besides cell phones.

Upon asking them what they would do if they had an engine failure or problem out there where their engine wouldn't start etc. All of them (12 persons total I have asked that venture out further regularly) said they would activate the EPIRB.

so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???

Muddy Toes
24-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Ummmmmmm.......no?

But if you're running out of ice and your catch is going to spoil in a hot esky then definitely yes.....activate that sucker!

SatNav
24-05-2013, 07:37 AM
"so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???"

1. An Epirb should only be used when there is a treat of grave or imminent danger. Activating an epirb due to lack of fuel does nothing more than highlight a complete lack of understanding and good seamanship.

2. In the event of a non live threatening emergency then all other forms of communication should be first attempted.

3. An Epirb is really not meant to allow for a persons incompetence, bad fuel management and/or venturing beyond their vessel's limitations.

WalrusLike
24-05-2013, 07:53 AM
So if they do get in that situation.....

that's life threatening I reckon.

If they don't get run over by a tanker, or swamped by not having directional control, then unless they contact someone they will eventually die.

Depends of course on the local boat traffic and where the current will take them... but unless they are going to drift into a better locality then they definitely are in trouble.

So chide them all you want.... it won't stop it happening and they have left themselves little choice.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

cobiaman
24-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Ummmmmmm.......no?

But if you're running out of ice and your catch is going to spoil in a hot esky then definitely yes.....activate that sucker!

Or if your down to your last pack of durries...

SatNav
24-05-2013, 08:32 AM
1. People do have a choice, a choice to stay within their means, anybody who gets themselves into that type of situation should have their boat impounded and be locked up for their own safety.

2. Running out of fuel over the last few miles is a sin in itself, running out of fuel out of radio range, 100km out to sea is totally and absolutely incompetent.

Noelm
24-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Just because you may not be able to reach a land based radio station, there is always the possibility that another boat is well within range, especially in a popular fishing location. Just because your motor wont start means that you are doomed.

JulianDeMarchi
24-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I spoke to the VMR about how far out they cover a vessel. They told me 40KMs offshore is their limit. When you do have issues that far out, who is there to help? cost guard?

Jarrah Jack
24-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Running out of fuel wasn't mentioned but anyone can have engine failure for any number of reasons, even two engines can fail.

If I was drifting out there and couldn't contact anyone by any other means then the epirb would go on straight away. No point waiting until it turns into a life threatening situation. That's not being a responsible skipper.

wags on the water
24-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I spoke to the VMR about how far out they cover a vessel. They told me 40KMs offshore is their limit. When you do have issues that far out, who is there to help? cost guard?

I think Muddy feet can answer this one....

cuzzamundi
24-05-2013, 10:09 AM

I've personally been rescued more than 50km offshore by VMR in SEQ. Maybe different for different areas, but they came out for us. Mind you, we were in serious sh!t from the get go (cracked hull, sinking fast).

Cuzza

JulianDeMarchi
24-05-2013, 10:12 AM
I've personally been rescued more than 50km offshore by VMR in SEQ. Maybe different for different areas, but they came out for us. Mind you, we were in serious sh!t from the get go (cracked hull, sinking fast).

Cuzza

Bloody hell! That's a crazy situation. Care to share the story?

kaypee
24-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Its a good question... We've spoke about it too.

I guess when you are going to the more populated areas like K Banks and the like normally there would be someone within at least 'Flare' range...especially if its a weekend or glorious weather. I think that alot of skippers put a hell of alot of faith in their gear without understanding anything about how it works. I really feel for the coast guard sometimes and they must be tempted on leaving some people float around for a while as a lesson...

As a rule if we are doing much over 100km then we do our very best to have another boat travel with. Sometiomes tho the trouble is finding enough bodies to fill two.
Personally I think an Epirb should be a very last resort.

SatNav
24-05-2013, 10:16 AM
1. Running out of fuel wasn't mentioned Yes it was and what the original query was specifically about

2. Coast Guard/VMR have limitations re insurance & skipper qualifications as to how far they can operate offshore without a specific direction from the police. An Epirb alert is something that will get this police direction & authority which then handles some of the limitations. However if the reason comes down to simply running out of fuel then you are way outside of your comfort zone.

Mattya
24-05-2013, 10:17 AM
If my engines failed that far out, I wouldn't think twice about turning the EPIRB on. I'd rather be in the dead boat warm & dry than floating around out of sight. Much easier to spot a boat than a person. Also would make it easier to pop a flare off when a possible rescuer is sighted.
And you can keep fishing whilst waiting :)

WalrusLike
24-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Guys we can huff n puff as much as we collectively like... it won't change behaviour.

Yes, people shouldn't do stupid things... but they do.

If someone is way out there without reasonable hope of contacting anyone before things turn worse then a Epirb is a responsible choice to use.

You may not like it but their choices at that point ARE limited.

Having said that.... if it was me out there with a disabled motor I would be exhausting all other options first. PAN PAN, v sheet.... check drift possibilities, jury rigged sail, etc.

But if weather is a risk I would activate the Epirb. And so would any responsible skipper if other options are not available.

Jarrah Jack
24-05-2013, 12:46 PM
1. Running out of fuel wasn't mentioned Yes it was and what the original query was specifically about

Alright Kerry it was a little bit ;D. Responsable skippers don't run out of fuel but engine failure can happen to anyone hence this thread.

PS I just ordered a long range tank this morning, you won't have to shoot me Jimbo. I'll take a pigeon out for long distance communication if ever I get you on the boat.

We'll have something to cook up.

WalrusLike
24-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Jack it actually was... but only as a minor point in the last sentence or so.

And of course.... you are right... motor failure can disable any boat... twins included.

Boat Hog
24-05-2013, 01:38 PM
If I was 100km off the coast with a Skipper who ran out of fuel :speechless:, couldn't signal anyone for help and had no response to VHF calls for assistance then I would be giving the Skipper reason to believe that there was a threat of grave and imminent danger. :rifle:

Thus okay to activate the EPIRB! :)

^^^^^ Can't believe I managed to type all that without numbering the sentences. ::P

jtpython
24-05-2013, 04:11 PM

2. Coast Guard/VMR have limitations re insurance & skipper qualifications as to how far they can operate offshore without a specific direction from the police. An Epirb alert is something that will get this police direction & authority which then handles some of the limitations. However if the reason comes down to simply running out of fuel then you are way outside of your comfort zone.

Our Coast guard operates for social club members up to 105 km DISTANCE 2 free tows a year
JT

cuzzamundi
24-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Bloody hell! That's a crazy situation. Care to share the story?

Was NE of Barwons and couldn't get off the plane, water gushed in through the kill tank, tripped bilge, Mayday to VMR/All ships, was rescued hour later - news chopper was out there before anyone else!. Just managed to stay afloat with all three bailing frantically. Cracked hull - design fault/osmosis that crept up. It's horrible when it happens. Horrific. Happens in the blink of an eye, too. Never do I want to have that feeling again, 'cos I could smell death that day, and it didn't smell pleasant. It's why I always sink when I hear of fell.ow fishos beng los at sea, cos that initial feeling where yu think you're going in the drink is indescrbable. The fear is overwhelming, and you gotta hope instinct takes over, AND that your VHF works/is in range and your epirb is all good.

Cuzza

Bros
14-06-2013, 05:21 PM
so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???

That is the best thing they could do.

SatNav
14-06-2013, 05:41 PM
"That is the best thing they could do.'

1. The best thing they could do is pay the full cost of recovery, hand in their boat licence for being incompetent and appologise for wasting peoples time because of their own lack of boating skills.

2. There is no place on the water for people with this type of attitude and inadequate safety equipment. For the non understanding here an Epirb does not meet this situation.

Bros
14-06-2013, 05:51 PM

1. The best thing they could do is pay the full cost of recovery, hand in their boat licence for being incompetent and appologise for wasting peoples time because of their own lack of boating skills.

2. There is no place on the water for people with this type of attitude and inadequate safety equipment. For the non understanding here an Epirb does not meet this situation.

As you didn't like my post I assume you don't know what happens when an EPIRB is activated

SunnyCoastMark
16-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Ok - so if someone gets into trouble - regardless of how or why - and they are not able to communicate with anyone via any means and there are no other vessels in the area - what do you propose that they do?

Boat Hog
16-06-2013, 10:21 AM
There is another thing to consider when operating so far from shore. In the event an EPIRB is activated (we'll just take it as given that there was Grave and Immediate Danger), you may be rescued but your boat may not be. This is especially true if you are rescued by helicopter or merchant vessel.

Food for thought ......

Cheers,

Muddy Toes
16-06-2013, 10:26 AM
There is another thing to consider when operating so far from shore. In the event an EPIRB is activated (we'll just take it as given that there was Grave and Immediate Danger), you may be rescued but your boat may not be. This is especially true if you are rescued by helicopter or merchant vessel.

Food for thought ......

Cheers,

Well I just be tellin that bloody Marvin fella we be takin the boat before we go back for any of the crew......

RayLamp
16-06-2013, 09:05 PM
If I were a regular 100km out boater, I would probably take a satellite phone with me.

Bad luck can happen and an epirb can be a last resort.

justlovefishing
16-06-2013, 09:33 PM
how about the DSC function on your radio if fitted. this will send out a distress call until answered by anthor vessel equipped with this system. If you have it set up through your gps it will also give your location or you can put this in manually. Having been involved with the coast gaurd for many years we try to teach people how to use these systems through radio courses we run. This system runs on it own dedicated channel and has a 15% better range. so your chances of getting a shore station or anthor vessel are good. How ever if no other option was available to you then the epirb would get the right people looking for you. might be a bit red faced telling them you ran out of fuel better than drifting around at sea hopping that some one hears you or comes across you. It is a big paddock out there when you are looking for someone. You should also log on with your local coast gaurd or VMR so at least we have a idea of where to start looking if you are over due or run into trouble.

WalrusLike
16-06-2013, 09:44 PM
The Safetrx app from the coastguard would at least have your course up to the point that you were too far from coverage.

That would be better than no info. I wouldn't head too far out without some comms. Satphone or long distance radio gear.

SatNav
17-06-2013, 07:45 PM
"As you didn't like my post I assume you don't know what happens when an EPIRB is activated"

1. First of all some obviously need to understand actual requirements for activating an Epirb, those that put themselves in such a situation based on incompetence and without adequate reason require apart from other things a bit of retraining, then again retraining will not help the reckless.

2. Questions would be? How could anybody run out of fuel that far out to sea?

3. There is absolutely no excuse for being out of radio range, non what so ever and if your vessel is not big enough to carry the proper radio equipment then this makes it even more questionable re why you were even there in the first place?

thelump
17-06-2013, 08:46 PM
"so if you run out fuel or have no form of communication and your life is not in danger is it ok to activate an EPIRB???"

1. An Epirb should only be used when there is a treat of grave or imminent danger. Activating an epirb due to lack of fuel does nothing more than highlight a complete lack of understanding and good seamanship.

2. In the event of a non live threatening emergency then all other forms of communication should be first attempted.

3. An Epirb is really not meant to allow for a persons incompetence, bad fuel management and/or venturing beyond their vessel's limitations.

SatNav you again take a question to heart and crucify anyone who has a perfectly reasonable querie. Now I know you live in some perfect world where everything will always go to plan but the reality is that s#$t happens. Running out of fuel does not necessarily mean they didn't plan it correctly. They may have had a tank split or burst leaking fuel into the bilge and the auto bilge pumping it over the side. What measures could prevent this?
Or you could have an issue like cuzzamundi and be out of radio range as well. How do you propose he prevent that?
So you're out of fuel out of radio range do you not think it could escalate into a life threatening situation?
It was a pretty simple question that required a simple answer. It seems that you would prefer someone suffer rather than send a distress signal just because YOU deem them incompetent. Who made you God?
You sir are a knob.

Jarrah Jack
17-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't worry too much about Kerry, Macca. Its just a game to him. He makes out he's some kind of expert but in effect says nothing that a 16 year old couldn't guess.

jtpython
17-06-2013, 09:23 PM
"As you didn't like my post I assume you don't know what happens when an EPIRB is activated"

1. First of all some obviously need to understand actual requirements for activating an Epirb, those that put themselves in such a situation based on incompetence and without adequate reason require apart from other things a bit of retraining, then again retraining will not help the reckless.

2. Questions would be? How could anybody run out of fuel that far out to sea?

3. There is absolutely no excuse for being out of radio range, non what so ever and if your vessel is not big enough to carry the proper radio equipment then this makes it even more questionable re why you were even there in the first place?

Hmmm if ur in danger regaurdless of situation activate the EPIRB
Radio range or not anything can happen ?
Electrical fault s anything
JT

Muddy Toes
17-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Exactly what I was thinking JJ.

It's not about assisting people in understanding their responsibilities out at sea, it's not about explaining the due course of action when faced with misfortune at sea and it sure as hell isn't meant to help anyone.

My guess is that someone needs an ego boost. A case of little man syndrome coupled with a very lonely life and this is what you get. A guy that gets his rocks off by self appointing himself the subject matter expert on a variety of marine safety topics in an attempt to fill a void in his self worth created by feelings of actually wanting to become this person in real life but could never achieve it. You love it don't you buddy...........makes you feel all big and knowledgeable inside when you type stuff like this doesn't it?
The reality is that what you do can be done by anyone of us. Sit next to a keyboard and copy random text from marine safety handbooks like your some sort of of a nautical messiah sent here to Earth to educate boaters on how best to operate on the water.
Not once have I ever seen you actually help someone. Retyping ambiguous sentences doesn't constitute help. Explaining situations, reasons behind things and courses of action to take would be helpful but what am I on about????
It's got absolutely nothing to do with providing help does it? It's all a big intellectual superiority facade created by you, harvested by you for your emotional gain.
Good night wee man.................

Nearly forgot sorry.........

Muddy Toes
17-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Great!!!

I've just done of 'those' post and JT is right here again.............

Wonder what will happen next?::)

Muddyfeet
17-06-2013, 09:41 PM

It's not about assisting people in understanding their responsibilities out at sea, it's not about explaining the due course of action when faced with misfortune at sea and it sure as hell isn't meant to help anyone.

My guess is that someone needs an ego boost. A case of little man syndrome coupled with a very lonely life and this is what you get. A guy that gets his rocks off by self appointing himself the subject matter expert on a variety of marine safety topics in an attempt to fill a void in his self worth created by feelings of actually wanting to become this person in real life but could never achieve it. You love it don't you buddy...........makes you feel all big and knowledgeable inside when you type stuff like this doesn't it?
The reality is that what you do can be done by anyone of us. Sit next to a keyboard and copy random text from marine safety handbooks like your some sort of of a nautical messiah sent here to Earth to educate boaters on how best to operate on the water.
Not once have I ever seen you actually help someone. Retyping ambiguous sentences doesn't constitute help. Explaining situations, reasons behind things and courses of action to take would be helpful but what am I on about????
It's got absolutely nothing to do with providing help does it? It's all a big intellectual superiority facade created by you, harvested by you for your emotion gain.

That seems like a well rounded profile of this chap. Although I haven't been on here long I do understand everyones anger toward this Sat Nav. He seems to hate everything and everyone!

cobiaman
17-06-2013, 09:43 PM
That seems like a well rounded profile of this chap. Although I haven't been on here long I do understand everyones anger toward this Sat Nav. He seems to hate everything and everyone!

1. You mustnt have been here for long if your not numbering your posts....

2. Cheers

Muddyfeet
17-06-2013, 09:44 PM
1. You mustnt have been here for long if your not numbering your posts....

2. Cheers

1. Sorry
2. Thankyou

Jarrah Jack
17-06-2013, 10:32 PM

It's got absolutely nothing to do with providing help does it? It's all a big intellectual superiority facade created by you, harvested by you for your emotion gain.

Looks like you've found your target Anthony. Bulls eye LOL

Spaniard_King
18-06-2013, 06:26 AM
When is the right time to activate an EPIRB?? >> any time the skipper deems it necessary.

Your got to be kidding telling someone they don't fall within some guidelines to activate an EPIRB.

SatNav
18-06-2013, 06:37 AM

1. A reminder of the original query.

2. And if anybody could answer the subsequent queries re why anybody would run out of fuel, out of radio range, in other words not having proper radio equipment or essentially vessels not fit for purpose then this could indicate some level of responsibility

3. Self justifications and dreamt up excuses have nothing to do with the original query, so not talking about electrical faults or the like, you have run out of fuel, you are out of radio range .... Are you incompetent or not?

4 And to make you feel real bad why should a poor old volunteer have to sell chook raffles just to come and save your sorry ...... because you have put yourself way beyond your capability?

WalrusLike
18-06-2013, 07:31 AM
I want to live in Sat Navs world where nothing goes wrong, nothing unexpected happens and no-one ever makes mistakes.

And best of all....

99. Everything's numbered! :)

Noelm
18-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I guess in a strange way everyone is right, however there are rules and laws to prevent people from just activating an EPIRB and launching a full scale search simply because they had a flat battery and they were not in danger and there was help close by, an EPIRB activation is a big deal, it not a simple run out for the local VMR, it is a BIG deal and involves all sorts of Government agencies and search and rescue organisations, now.... that being said, if you are in trouble, and you have no other means of obtaining help (remember that being broken down does not mean you are going to instantly perish) then, an EPIRB is there to be used, it is up to the owner/skipper to decide what options there are to be taken, and an EPIRB might be the only one left.

Noelm
18-06-2013, 08:21 AM
OH, I forgot

SatNav
18-06-2013, 09:17 AM
1. Noelm no definately not, everybody is not right here, some are so far off the mark it's rather disturbing some people think like this. An Epirb is not something YOU rely on because YOU the skipper has essentially exceeded your fuel limitations (badly) and basically (deliberately) knowingly gone well beyond radio range.

2. Lets no make excuses re the evidence leading up to the inappropriate need to activate an epirb and lets no loose sight of the cause and reason behind this.

JulianDeMarchi
18-06-2013, 09:20 AM
1. Noelm no definately not, everybody is not right here, some are so far off the mark it's rather disturbing some people think like this. An Epirb is not something YOU rely on because YOU the skipper has essentially exceeded your fuel limitations (badly) and basically (deliberately) knowingly gone well beyond radio range.

This part has me interested mate. What should a skipper do SatNav if the situation arises where for some unknown reason fuel becomes an issue while you are out of radio range?

Noelm
18-06-2013, 09:30 AM

2. Lets no make excuses re the evidence leading up to the inappropriate need to activate an epirb and lets no loose sight of the cause and reason behind this.
I think we are tunnel visioned on this run out of fuel part, you can run out of of fuel without being a dumb ass, but, forget that, we are talking about any sort of break down here, I do agree with you in part, an EPIRB is a device that is not to be taken lightly, I doubt a lot fully understand what actually happens when an EPIRB is activated.

Noelm
18-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Just to clear the air a tiny bit, not all that long ago, I was going out for a day at the shelf, I fuelled the boat the day before, BUT, during the night, some arse wipe syphoned one tank, I got half way to the shelf and one motor dies!! now for me this was just an inconvenience, as I have two motors, and two tanks, but it might have been a sad day if I had a single tank hey? now to be fair, I don't have fuel gauges, I use a simple dipstick to measure fuel, right or wrong, that's how it is, so lets just put the ran out of fuel bit and negligence aside for a while and get back to why you don't activate an EPIRB just "because"

SatNav
18-06-2013, 09:39 AM
"This part has me interested mate. What should a skipper do SatNav if the situation arises where for some unknown reason fuel becomes an issue while you are out of radio range?"

1. We are talking about why did these situations arise? Nobody appears to want to make a call on this one, incompetence or not? What do you think? Why are people relying on an Epirb because of their own incompetence?

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2013, 09:44 AM
I think Sat Nav is being down right dangerous here. He's playing the devils advocate but is trying to limit his reasons to some clown of a skipper who would run out to sea out of radio range then out of fuel. Not some fuel problem of your description Noel.:)

It just doesn't happen to people on here and I doubt it has happened anywhere in Aus.

Its dangerous because it may put some thoughts in a skippers mind who is in trouble for more legitimate reasons but doesn't want to activate the epirb because of something he read on here about it being against some regulation or not the right thing to do.

In reality it shouldn't matter what reason there is for a skipper or crew wanting to activate a beacon. If they feel they are in danger and there's no other help on hand then you activate it before its too late, no ifs or buts or debates on rights or wrongs, you can worry about those things when on dry land.

SatNav
18-06-2013, 09:46 AM
1. Noelm, you being the responsible skipper you are and if you went beyond VHF range you would have used your HF radio, wouldn't you :) or your Satphone :) you would have contingency measures in place, wouldn't you :)

2. So lets no miss the point and lets not skirt all around the issuse of incompetence and vessels being used beyond capability. This is NOT what Epirbs are meant for, period. Used in this scenario? Yes they are, but at this point the Skipper has stuffed up big time, don't you agree?

JulianDeMarchi
18-06-2013, 09:49 AM
1. Noelm, you being the responsible skipper you are and if you wnet beyond VHF range you would have used your HF radio, wouldn't you :) or your Satphone :)

2. So lets no miss the point and lets not skirt all around the issuse of incompetence and vessels being used beyond capability. This is NOT what Epirbs are meant for, period. Used in this scenario? Yes, but at this point the Skipper has stuffed up big time, don't you agree?

http://imgur.com/W2keG : Appropriate?

Let's not dance around the point here. If the skipper has gotten out there and gotten in trouble, would you not recommend to turn on the EPRIB? I'm trying to find out what you think should be done here...

Noelm
18-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Incompetence is not the issue, we are talking about a break down, you can break down and not be incompetent! The issue is, WHEN do you use your EPIRB? regardless of how you got into the poo, the issue is, "how are you going to get out of it"? just being rendered immobile (for whatever reason) does NOT mean you use your EPIRB, that is what needs to be explained.

spelchek
18-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm trying to find out what you think should be done here...

If the wind is blowing in-shore, I say keep fishing untill it blows you back into radio range. :)

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Incompetence is not the issue, we are talking about a break down, you can break down and not be incompetent! The issue is, WHEN do you use your EPIRB? regardless of how you got into the poo, the issue is, "how are you going to get out of it"? just being rendered immobile (for whatever reason) does NOT mean you use your EPIRB, that is what needs to be explained.

That's why I reckon this discussion could be dangerous. No point confusing the issue with discussions of competence or incompetence.

JulianDeMarchi
18-06-2013, 10:05 AM
If the wind is blowing in-shore, I say keep fishing untill it blows you back into radio range. :)

I broke down off Amity. Had a VMR membership, so while waiting for them to come out I drifted some yakkas out the back of the boat. Ended up scoring two dollies of around 110cms... :D I can confirm your plan does work.

Noelm
18-06-2013, 10:08 AM
OK, lets just have a look at a very slim possibility, your tank gets syphoned the night before, you are out at the shelf off Shellharbour, mobile phone range is out, your VHF is fine, BUT your mate is getting a rod out of the rocket launcher, and slips, grabs the VHF antenna and snaps it off, so now we have, no mobile, no VHF and no fuel, and no one was negligent, clumsy maybe, but certainly not dumb ass! do you activate your EPIRB?????? certainly NOT (in my view) you are not in danger, certainly not having a whole lot of fun, but not in danger YET! now the light westerly wind has picked up and your drifting out to sea, activate EPIRB yet?? a night passes, and your folks at home have alerted the authorities, activate your EPIRB yet??? 3 days later, your way way out, no water left, food gone yesterday, activate the EPIRB yet?? Satnav, when would YOU activate yours?

Noelm
18-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Now I know that is pretty far fetched, but what I am tryingto get across is…. At some time, someone has to make the call to activate theEPIRB, unless you want to wait until the Kiwis find you.

Muddy Toes
18-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Alright guys.........
1.EPIRBs should only be used when there is a threat of grave and imminent danger. In the event of an emergency, communication should first be attempted with others close by using radios, phones and other signalling devices. Mobile phones can be used but should not be relied upon as they can be out of range, have low batteries or become water-damaged.

2. Other forms of communication in a distress situation include......
-If other boats or aircraft are in the area, let off an orange smoke flare (daylight) or a red hand-held flare (night).
-A v-sheet should be displayed to attract the attention of other boats or overpassing aircraft.
-Slowly and repeatedly raise and lower arms outstretched to each side.
-International code flags N over C.
-Marine radio/signalling

In emergencies only
mayday mayday mayday
A signal sent by radio consisting of the spoken works
pan pan pan pan pan pan
A signal made by radio or by another signalling method consisting of the group SOS in the morse code.

3. If all other attempts of communication fail and the skipper of the vessel assesses the situation and deems it to be one of grave and imminent danger then an EPIRB shall be activated. REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSAL FACTORS WHICH LEAD THE VESSEL AND CREW INTO A DISTRESS SITUATION.

4. Why couldn't you just say this wee man?
5. Why is the focus placed on the reasons for the breakdown instead of the requested action to take in a certain scenario?
6.What's with all the ambiguous and random statements wee man? Surely a man of your intellectual maritime superiority could answer a simple question for one of us mere mortals.
7. Where do you get off justifying the work done by volunteers in the community by calling all in need incompetent? If it pines you so much having to help people as a volunteer with a rescue organisation then why do it? That is of course if you are a rescue volunteer to start with, given your lack of detail and certainty when asked specific questions one must ask these questions.
8. At the end of the day I would rather be facing an inquest in to why I activated an EPIRB in a situation where the 'book' may not have justified it's use then to be dead out at sea with an EPIRB in the boat that was never activated. Of course as a last course of communication.

JulianDeMarchi
18-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Alright guys.........
1.EPIRBs should only be used when there is a threat of grave and imminent danger. In the event of an emergency, communication should first be attempted with others close by using radios, phones and other signalling devices. Mobile phones can be used but should not be relied upon as they can be out of range, have low batteries or become water-damaged.

1 - Making sense in this thread is not allowed.
2 - Please read 1...

Noelm
18-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I was going to post something like that in a few more pages, it is quite clear really.

SatNav
18-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Now instead of those making excuses, being negative and avoiding what the issues are here lets cover the contingencies

1. No fuel. Why? exceeded vessels limitations, rough conditions, lack of understanding, leaking (big problem / different issue), failed to check, maintenance etc etc So don't exceed vessel limitations, get bigger tanks, carry reserve fuel, know the limitations, know the fuel burn in all conditions

2. No battery start. Why? fished all night, lack of maintenance, single battery installation etc etc So do you have reserve starting capacity, power pack

3. Beyond radio range. Why? Happy to put your life in danger, exceeded vessels limitation, don't understand radio reception etc etc So install proper communications to cover area of interest and don't exceed your capability

4. Failed radio. Why. Who knows. So you would have a spare or equiv backup

5. Failed steering. Why? generally lack of maintenance. So you would install a backup steering capability

6. Failed water pump. Why? Generally lack of maintenance. Backup contingency? depends on motor but can be worked around

7. And more if you think about it.

All the above can be put in place before you get yourself into a situation you have no control over. You simply need to ask yourself the questions and put the solution in place before the need arises. 99% of all issues can be solved by those with a little pre thought and aptitude instead of relying on others to fix your lacking and yes incompetence :)

Noelm
18-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Not too sure on your possibilities there, lots of stuff can "happen" and you cant have a spare radio, EPIRB, steering, battery, mobile.. the list goes on, I have seen enough things "happen" to me in my boating life that rendered me immobile that nothing short of a full workshop and a skilled person could have fixed, "things" happen, and usually happen when it is inconvenient, an example of things that I have had happen to me, the before mentioned fuel syphoning, a stupid Mako shark decided to get into the motor well and eat the fuel line, a BIG Yellowfin on the deck kicked the battery box and battery to bits ,and my tackle box and my balls after I tried to stand on it's tail to stop further damage, and it gave me a tail whack right to the "marble bag" how can you prevent stuff like that? cant carry enough spares to cover everything that could happen.

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2013, 10:39 AM
No more bite's from me Kerry. You must be loving this. Ever thought of coming over for a m&g? I may need a deckie?:) 100 k's out in my 540 sig should be right up your alley.

jtpython
18-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Ok im driving along in my boat in range plenty of fuel and BOOSHKA my boat hits a
1. A whale
2. another boat
3. A submerged southerner with a poofter dog
4. A bucket and I capsize my EPIRB will automaticely setoff cause it's a water activated model
Yeah baby
I know i'm well off course
LOL
Muddy made me do it

jtpython
18-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Now instead of those making excuses, being negative and avoiding what the issues are here lets cover the contingencies

1. No fuel. Why? exceeded vessels limitations, rough conditions, lack of understanding, leaking (big problem / different issue), failed to check, maintenance etc etc So don't exceed vessel limitations, get bigger tanks, carry reserve fuel, know the limitations, know the fuel burn in all conditions

2. No battery start. Why? fished all night, lack of maintenance, single battery installation etc etc So do you have reserve starting capacity, power pack

3. Beyond radio range. Why? Happy to put your life in danger, exceeded vessels limitation, don't understand radio reception etc etc So install proper communications to cover area of interest and don't exceed your capability

5. Failed steering. Why? generally lack of maintenance. So you would install a backup steering capability

6. Failed water pump. Why? Generally lack of maintenance. Backup contingency? depends on motor but can be worked around

All the above can be put in place before you get yourself into a situation you have no control over. You simply need to ask yourself the questions and put the solution in place before the need arises. 99% of all issues can be solved by those with a little pre thought and aptitude instead of relying on others to fix your lacking and yes incompetence :)

Where's this perfect world u speak of

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2013, 10:52 AM
3. A submerged southerner with a poofter dog

You'll be with me with your blue healer that wants to ravish angie pangie.

jtpython
18-06-2013, 10:58 AM
You'll be with me with your blue healer that wants to ravish angie pangie.

Don't scare me more . I'll be towing u behind in the kayak shortly
JT

SatNav
18-06-2013, 11:14 AM
"Where's this perfect world u speak of"

1. That's just the ordinary world, very simple, covers 99% of things people get dragged home for of their own making, nothing complicated in any of that, mostly common sense really.

2. Is your vessel then not up to this simple level if you venture beyond the norm and have to rely on yourself?

Dicko
18-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Some of you blokes should move up the Torres Straits.

Free (or heavily subsidised) EPIRBS.

A couple of multi million dollar choppers, half a dozen full time crew, all supplied by us waiting at your bec and call every time you couldn't be bothered following the minimum of safe boating practices.

The acronym for EPIRB is 'Empty Petrol I Require Boat'

RayLamp
18-06-2013, 01:24 PM

1. I'm actually interested to know what backup steering capability is?
2. A second steering wheel?
3. A complete set of steering cables?
4. A spare motor?
5. I'm genuinely interested in this one!

WalrusLike
18-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Fellas I am leaving this thread.

It's plainly obvious Satnav is trolling.

I am pretty sure not one person has been educated or advised by any of this.

I have had a laugh or two out of it though... :)

Walrus signing off.... wait! Can anyone hear me? Maybe I am out of range... Help?!

Gon Fishun
18-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Fellas I am leaving this thread.

It's plainly obvious Satnav is trolling.

I am pretty sure not one person has been educated or advised by any of this.

I have had a laugh or two out of it though... :)

Walrus signing off.... wait! Can anyone hear me? Maybe I am out of range... Help?!

Copy that-Roger Wilco-Over and out.

cobiaman
18-06-2013, 02:34 PM
SATNAV

1. Any chance you could help us do up a checklist of safety gear and backup gear as we are going to the swains in a 24ft trailer boat?

2. Thanks

Muddy Toes
18-06-2013, 02:40 PM
1. 15 spare steering wheels

2. 9 VHF and 12 HF radios

3. 10,000L of fuel for every hour you intend being out there

4. A VW beetle motor as an aux in case your motor fails due to a failed water pump

5. Bloody long extension cord to hook up to mains power in case you need a jump start

6.Derrrrrr!!!!!

spelchek
18-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Just remember to pack your spare boat and you'll be fine.

Noelm
18-06-2013, 02:42 PM
fools, for that trip you will need,
1. a spare motor,
2. 500L of spare fuel,
3. 5 radios,
4. a satphone (and a spare)
5. a complete spare hydraulic steering setup, plus a tiller hose clamped to the cowl
6. 14 bilge pumps (and a spare)
7. 7 GPS units, 9 charts, 3 compasses, and a sextant (and a spare)
8. a partridge in a pear tree (just for luck) and a spare. and we haven't even got to the safety gear yet, plus 14 spare rods and reels, after all that, someone will forget the bait.

Noelm
18-06-2013, 02:43 PM
1. 15 spare steering wheels

2. 9 VHF and 12 HF radios

3. 10,000L of fuel for every hour you intend being out there

4. A VW beetle motor as an aux in case your motor fails due to a failed water pump

5. Bloody long extension cord to hook up to mains power in case you need a jump start

6.Derrrrrr!!!!!
you going to tell us your going with ONLY 15 steering wheels?

Muddy Toes
18-06-2013, 02:46 PM
you going to tell us your going with ONLY 15 steering wheels?

I'm still too young and naive to listen to experience...............I plan on finding out the hard way.

Jarrah Jack
18-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't forget a slug gun to shoot the mountain parrots out there.

thelump
18-06-2013, 02:50 PM
378 packets of Durries and 9271 boxes of shapes.

Muddy Toes
18-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Hypothetical question.

Julia Gillard goes out in a polycraft with an Etec on the back. Her crew consists of beach netters with reef balls as heads. It's a choppy day in Nth Queensland and they're trolling in to the sun. They catch their bag limit and post photos but get accused of overfishing.

Should they activate their EPIRB?

thelump
18-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Hypothetical question.

Julia Gillard goes out in a polycraft with an Etec on the back. Her crew consists of beach netters with reef balls as heads. It's a choppy day in Nth Queensland and they're trolling in to the sun. They catch their bag limit and post photos but get accused of overfishing.

Should they activate their EPIRB?

Wait till dark and just stand the sunburnt Julia up vertical. Should send a beam of red light no one could miss. Kind of like the bat signal!

Noelm
18-06-2013, 03:12 PM
NOW it has got silly and out of hand, who in their right mind would fish with Julia??

ozynorts
18-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm still too young and naive to listen to experience...............I plan on finding out the hard way.
"Agree with you, the council does. Your apprentice, SatNav will be."

WalrusLike
18-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Aw crap..., you guys have suckered me back in..., :)

Forget the 15 steering wheels and associated nuts.

Forget the spare VW motor.

Just take a big ball of twine and tie it to the light post near the ramp. Pay it out to the 100klm mark. Tie off to stern cleat. Jobs done.

jarpunna
18-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Guys I honestly can't see the big issue in requiring assistance from our tax funded highly trained operators of extremely expensive (to buy, maintain and use) rescue vessels because of irresponsibilty. Boat people do it all the time!! ;P

Bros
18-06-2013, 05:57 PM
fools, for that trip you will need,
1. a spare motor,
2. 500L of spare fuel,
3. 5 radios,
4. a satphone (and a spare)
5. a complete spare hydraulic steering setup, plus a tiller hose clamped to the cowl
6. 14 bilge pumps (and a spare)
7. 7 GPS units, 9 charts, 3 compasses, and a sextant (and a spare)
8. a partridge in a pear tree (just for luck) and a spare. and we haven't even got to the safety gear yet, plus 14 spare rods and reels, after all that, someone will forget the bait.

What about your passport as you could get picked up by a passing coal ship and end up in China.

You can't rely on marine volunteers as in Satnav's words they are

replaced by puppet volunteers, easily identified by their name badges.

3. So for ever asked the question, yes the real volunteer is long gone, some of us who were actually there in the beginning know the difference, the rest wouldn't have a clue.

So without Satnav being there you are well and truly up the creek so why not activate your EPIRB

jtpython
18-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Because Sh#t never happens of course not