PDA

View Full Version : can you run an old 2stroke outboard without thermostats?

burleygu
23-05-2013, 12:00 PM
As a lot of you will know Im in the process of refurbishing a haines sig. Since the boats going to be ready in a week or so Im going over a lot of things on the motor I will be replacing the impeller gear box oil the water lines as they are quite perished and possibly the thermostats as they are quite gunked up. So I pulled the thermostats out and I thought to myself can you run a outboard motor without thermostats? Is it like a car and it just takes longer to get to full operating temperature? Or is it a big no no. The motor has sat for around 5 years? Anything else I should look at doing? someone said to me the carbies? but she runs idles and revs sweet?
Cheers guys

Fed
23-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Best to keep them there mate same with a car, you don't want to be running @ 5000 rpm on a cold motor.

Grease + a fuel filter.

What motor is it?

burleygu
23-05-2013, 01:32 PM
1990 150 mariner

Mattya
23-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Your car has a closed cooling system, your boat engine picks up from the ocean & you will contribute to the ocean temperature rise.
It will always run cold without it. Best to replace it with a new one.

Malcolm W
23-05-2013, 02:32 PM
When I had an overheat problem with my Yamaha 115 2 stroke I took the thermostat out of one side (V4) for a short run to problem solve. With the cowling off and using a heat gun the head never got much past the water temp (22-23 deg) The other side with the the thermostat in ran at the required temp (50-55 deg).

So even though I had blocked galleries overheating that side, taking the thermostat out made it run way too cool. At least cars recirculate the same water that will heat up a bit eventually. The outboard recieves cold water all the time and I think that it would wear out quick at those temperatures.

The themostats are quite small and only seem to let a small amount of water through. My end fix was to take the heads off and clean out the galleries.

burleygu
23-05-2013, 04:24 PM
thanks guys ive ordered a new pair from the states anyhow was just curious but makes sense cheers