PDA

View Full Version : ** Man On Fire **

ThePinkPanther
22-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Yesterday I figured it was a good day to clean up my tools in the boats toolbox! :D

Thinners is my favourite weapon in quickly removing all the grease and oil etc. from them so, armed with a cloth soaked in it, I happily scratched, rubbed and cleaned everything back to good condition. :)

In the bottom of the box was an old throw away lighter I used for sealing heat shrink - as it was pretty rusty and apparently non functional, I gave it a quick flick and yep, it came alive like a flamethrower and of course with my hand still wrapped in the cloth, up she goes! :helpa:

But it gets worse! During the cleaning process, the cloth had apparently been rubbing against my T shirt so now that also catches fires! :oops:

So now I have a problem insofar as priorities go! Should I a) Put the cloth fire out b) Put myself out or c) Move the tin of thinners being about 30 cms from where all the action was happening? :):)

As my hand was obviously on fire, I chucked the bonfire on the cloth into the nearby sink but ahah, the flames stopped me from reaching the tap to turn it on and with a wooden shelf just above the tap, I realised that in a few seconds up it would go to! :helpa:

With a distinctively warm feeling now on my chest, I beat the flames out with my hands, returned to the situation in the sink and braving the healthy fire now well and truly alight, plunged my hands through the flames and got the tap going whereupon I finally fought the fire to a standstill! :2vrolijk_08:

All this happened in a few seconds but at the time it seemed like a horror movie on slow motion! :fireman:

Stop looking for the idiot of the month, I'm here! :hammer:

netmaker
22-05-2013, 08:44 AM
lol! great description. easily pictured.

Crunchy
22-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Yesterday I figured it was a good day to clean up my tools in the boats toolbox! :D

Thinners is my favourite weapon in quickly removing all the grease and oil etc. from them so, armed with a cloth soaked in it, I happily scratched, rubbed and cleaned everything back to good condition. :)

In the bottom of the box was an old throw away lighter I used for sealing heat shrink - as it was pretty rusty and apparently non functional, I gave it a quick flick and yep, it came alive like a flamethrower and of course with my hand still wrapped in the cloth, up she goes! :helpa:

But it gets worse! During the cleaning process, the cloth had apparently been rubbing against my T shirt so now that also catches fires! :oops:

So now I have a problem insofar as priorities go! Should I a) Put the cloth fire out b) Put myself out or c) Move the tin of thinners being about 30 cms from where all the action was happening? :):)

As my hand was obviously on fire, I chucked the bonfire on the cloth into the nearby sink but ahah, the flames stopped me from reaching the tap to turn it on and with a wooden shelf just above the tap, I realised that in a few seconds up it would go to! :helpa:

With a distinctively warm feeling now on my chest, I beat the flames out with my hands, returned to the situation in the sink and braving the healthy fire now well and truly alight, plunged my hands through the flames and got the tap going whereupon I finally fought the fire to a standstill! :2vrolijk_08:

All this happened in a few seconds but at the time it seemed like a horror movie on slow motion! :fireman:

Stop looking for the idiot of the month, I'm here! :hammer:

You should be charged with "Careless use of a fireARM"

Noelm
22-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I can see that now!! Reminds me of the time I was using a dirty big and dangerous 9" grinder, I had all the safety gear on... tracksuit pants and flanno shirt, I was cutting away and thought my legs were getting a tad warm, so, I shifted position a bit, but I kept getting hotter, I switched off the grinder to see my tackies well alight, I dropped the grinder, that was still spinning at about 30million RPM, it hit the ground and spun wildly out of control, my offsider (wife) was laughing her head off, and was no help, I slid my tracksuit pants off, but now my flanno was also ablaze, lucky for me, the garden hose was close by and I could at leaest save myself from really serious burns, just every hair I had was singed, and a few blisters, my wife still reminds of that now and then. It is funny how a simple thing can turn into a fiasco in a second hey?

Giffo65
22-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Good to see you got it extinguished,how are the burns ? As a Career Firie for 24 years, I have seen this sort of thing happen lots of times, but end up much worse.A lesson learnt, but not quickly forgot for you I think ! :)

Stik-ugly
22-05-2013, 03:50 PM
You may have to change your name to the black panther

ThePinkPanther
22-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Did almost us same think Mate 'crept the wire brush on the end of my humongous Makita drill got caught in the bottom of my T Shirt and literally started to shred me alive!

I had to drop the mongrel thing as it was lashing and bucking all over the place and rapidly eating my shirt up towards my face!

I figured the best plan was to pull out the cord from the wall. Good idea but the length of the cord seemed about a hundred metres in spite of it only being three!

With bits of skin, flesh and blood on the on of the wire disc, I finally killed power to the mongrel!

Was quite an interesting few moments ...........

Giffo65
22-05-2013, 07:36 PM
We need to set up a Gopro in your shed for some entertaining viewing !

BigE
22-05-2013, 08:08 PM
From the outset a bad decision .... Hunter gathers should leave any form of cleaning to the experts. and of all things to clean TOOLS ..... my friend there is only one tool you should think of cleaning and the expert of the house should be in charge of that.
Thinners is my favourite weapon in quickly removing all the grease and oil etc. from them so, armed with a cloth soaked in it, I happily scratched, rubbed and cleaned everything back to good condition. :) hmmmm where do i start,, should i be more concerned that your tool is covered in grease and oil , or , that you choose to clean you tool with thinners. BTW for the weapon of choice you should always consult the expert of the house, only if she approves should you deploy said weapon.

why in gods name would you through anything out of the toolbox ??? if it's in the toolbox of course it works!!! at least you had the lighter on the correct setting (low-usless medium - for girls - high- for other people FLAMETHROWER -just right)

Good yarn PP had some run ins with fire meself ..... lessons not soon forgotten i assure you. hope my sence of humor did not offend the expert of the house, god love em who else would nurse us back to health when we get a little adventurous.

BigE

Mrs Ronnie H
22-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi

Well I just had the laugh of the week. Thank you very much.

I know it could of been quite a serious situation but I wish I had of been there. I can picture it now. :)

Mrs H