PDA

View Full Version : Planning my next big trip. Where to go?

aus2045
20-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm taking a couple of weeks off in June, just travelling by myself and taking my little 3.7m Brooker/15hp Yamaha I plan on heading south out of Rockhampton into big fish country. But struggling to decide on a destination. I'll be trying to fish every day and just deciding on the best place to spend my 10 days on the water.

My choices so far are;

1 Yamba NSW
2 Gold Coast seaway
3 Donnybrook/Toorbul
4 Brisbane River

My decision is stuck between all these huge Mud Crabs at Toorbul, the monstrous Jew at Yamba, the huge Bream, Flathead and Jacks on the GC and the XOS threadfin of the Brissy River.

So many decisions. Would anyone like to share their opinion on the best place to focus on?

propdinger
21-05-2013, 06:49 PM
All the spots are good spots but you need to learn a new place no matter where you go. So don't expect to just turn up and catch fish unless you go a remote spot that's not fished much.
Try and get local knowledge from Bait shops

Horse
21-05-2013, 07:09 PM
A lot of the fish you mentioned are seasonal and you probably won't find too many in the middle of Winter. Yamba would be my pick of the spots if you are after a feed. That time of year works well for the Pin area as well

sandbankmagnet
21-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Correct Horse. You won't be slaying the mud crabs at Donnybrook in winter.

aus2045
22-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Correct Horse. You won't be slaying the mud crabs at Donnybrook in winter.

That's true, the mud crabs might not be so active. I could probably bag out on sand crabs daily but I want to get a few huge fish too. So I'm thinking Yamba. You can't miss down there.

wags on the water
22-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Save your money and research the Fitzroy R and Coorooman Ck. for big arse muddies, barra, grunter and fingermark. Much better table fish in the north.

aus2045
22-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Save your money and research the Fitzroy R and Coorooman Ck. for big arse muddies, barra, grunter and fingermark. Much better table fish in the north.

Done that, and just about given up on this area though. Fished the local waters you mentioned bloody hard & mostly come home with nothing but pure frustration, sunburn, empty fuel tanks. 100% effort 2% reward. I just think I can catch more elsewhere.

cobiaman
22-05-2013, 07:57 PM
That's true, the mud crabs might not be so active. I could probably bag out on sand crabs daily but I want to get a few huge fish too. So I'm thinking Yamba. You can't miss down there.

Sand crabs dont have a bag limit and if they did it would be a possession limit, not a daily limit....

aus2045
22-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Sorry, maybe I'm thinking of NSW laws, as I travel down there for the extraordinary fishing quite often. 20 is the limit down there on Sandies. On my last trip to Toorbul/Donnybrook I stopped at 20 because of this thought in the back of my mind, whoops wrong State. Anyway 20 big males in 1 day was even too much, fed us for days. Thanks for letting me know.

If only there was fishing like this in CQ, lol.

warti
23-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Obviously after all your posts you must realise you need help. Man up and ask someone, I suggest you give johnny Mitchell a call and pay to learn how to fish correctly. There are plenty of fish to catch in our area. You're just not trying hard enough.