PDA

View Full Version : How do I change this throttle cable on stern drive?

ThePinkPanther
20-05-2013, 05:42 PM
An OMC 5.8L Cobra 340 hp inboard with Volvo leg.

The inner throttle cable is rusted solid in the outer cable and I guess I have to pull it all out and fit a new whole one. (The gears shift fine via the selector bracket on rear of leg so the box is fine)

I have disconnected the cable at "both ends" but am a bit unsure of what sort of a fitting I have to look for where it goes through the drive box(?) inside at the lower back of the motor after which it exits out through the leg to the gear selector.

I would imagine it has to be an oil tight seal with a grommet or nut or something?

Damn hard to see down there under a squillion cables and wiring!

Any advice appreciated.

gofishin
20-05-2013, 06:46 PM
PP, I guess you mean the gear shift cable ? If it's the throttle cable out there you are in trouble :)

280 or 290 or ? What model leg/transom shield?

Now you really have my memory bank straining! Too hard to type on the iPhone, I'll get on the 'puter later

gofishin
21-05-2013, 07:47 AM
It was the 80’s & early 90’s that I messed around with Volvo stuff PP, so the memory might be a bit scratchy in some areas!

It’s actually a fairly simple system of cable passage and ‘water tightness’. From the leg the cable passes thru a specific penetration on the transom shield (port side I think). On the inside of this penetration is attached a HD rubber type hose (like radiator hose) which is about 1” diam & 2’ – 2 ˝ ‘ long. This hose has a swaged (water tight) fitting, sealing it to the transom shield, & runs up high over the top of the steering arm and out to the STB side of the donk (or maybe vice-versa ??). The height of the hose keeps the water out of the boat, but there may also be a rubber grommet on the end (where the cable comes out) with possibly a hose clamp (can’t remember exactly).

To remove the gear cable you will need to look on the front of the leg (just under the g/box), between the universal & exhaust boots. There is a ~3” x 1 ˝ “ SS retainer plate with two SS hex head s/screws, which secures the cable in place. One screw is in the middle of the plate, the second is to the side (outside of centre), and the cable is secured at the opposite side – by a slotted hole completely open/slotted to one side of the retainer plate. This slot slides into a grove in the end of the cable, locking the cable in place.

Remove the outside s/screw and loosen the centre s/screw. Rotate the retainer plate so that the slot in the plate pops out from the cable. You can now remove the cable. Try it push/jiggle it through a bit from the outside before pulling it through from the inside.
Cheers
Brendon
PS. remember to replace it with the same cable length.
PSS. Cut the swaged ends off each end of the buggered cable and keep the inner s/s wire. Hi tensile SS and good for all kinds of stuff J

ThePinkPanther
21-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Yep, your are right Mark!

It is the gear selector cable and NOT the throttle one that goes to the carbi - duh!

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. I'll attack it asap!

Cheers