PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever modified a roller door to so their boat fits in the garage??!!

paullee
19-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi all i am thinkin about buying a house but really want to be able to store boat undercover/ in garage. Found a good house but boat doesnt fit in garage by about a couple of feet meaning if i could cut a section out of the panel door to suit the front section of the trailer then it could work? Any one ever done this before? Cant see why it wouldnt work to cut out a section then reinforce around the cut out so the nose of the trailer sits outside the garage while the door closes over it? Someone must have done this or have i had too many sunday beers?

braders83
19-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Have you thought of modifying the trailer with a swing drawbar so it folds back? Mine has been done (before I bought it) and its been done properly to make sure there is sufficient strength for the load etc. i know what you mean, it saves you about 2-2.5 foot so it just sneaks in the garage.

Still_Dreamin
19-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Contemplated doing it, but as I was buying new bmt package i upgraded to a fold away draw bar. Works a treat.

tunaticer
19-05-2013, 07:51 PM
You can not cut a slot out of a panel door, it requires the bottom member to remain rigid in one piece so when the door is up, it does not sag.
Definitely not possible on a panel lift door, roller door yes it is possible, but you need the headroom for the roll.
A fold away or telescoping removable drawbar is your answer.

Justin Rossiter
19-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Modified my roller door 2 weeks ago by backing my 6x4 trailer into it. Nothing that the back of of a block splitter couldn't fix.

J

Darren Mc
19-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah I think you might have had to many of those sunday beers man. Sounds like it would be a pain in the butt even if you could cut a hole in the door.
You would have to put the boat in the exact same position every time or the door would hit it.
I agree with tunaticer but I think it wouldn't be possible at all on a roller door. Getting your drawbar on the trailer modified to swing away would make the most sense I think. Maybe i'm just not adventurous enough.

Gon Fishun
19-05-2013, 10:45 PM
If you cut out the centre section, you will most likely cut out the lock then you can't secure your garage.
How do you stop the rain bucketing in.
Do you have room to park it diagonally and or with a folding draw bar and with the motor in the down position.

WalrusLike
19-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Is it roller or panel?

If its roller.... Does it have to fully close? Can it just drop down to drawbar and sit up?

If you cut out a section as mentioned above you may loose structural integrity or closing latch mechanism.....

Folding drawbar is my vote.... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feral
20-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Got room for another shed? A Bloke cant have to many sheds ;)

peterbo3
20-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Is there a built in cupboard at the back of the garage? If so, could you modify that to allow the boat to go further in? Another trick is park the boat on the diagonal if it is single axle & able to be pushed around.

Charlie
20-05-2013, 05:22 PM
It's possible on a roller door, I worked at a place with an entrance door hinged to the side and pivoting so which fitted into a gap in the roller, it had a lip to lock it into place. Convincing the wife might be the hard part.

paullee
20-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Ok thanks for all that i am a bit gutted my plan aint gunna work although we havent fully made up our mind on the house yet. Its hard to get everything you want and i dont want the compromise to be leaving the boat on the street like i have done at previous places i have lived....draw bar mod sounds like an expensive exercise so i will see how i go....Cheers...

tunaticer
20-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Depending on your drawbar construction, sometimes it is cheaper to make it removable. Just set it up like the tow bars are set up with a cross pin and lock. Pretty easy to lose 2 feet of drawbar when you drop the pin and slide it out. Certainly a lot cheaper than a foldaway drawbar.

shaungonemad
20-05-2013, 07:18 PM
I did my pull on a tandem trailer similar to a tilt trailer I only have 2 bolts and unhook the winch cable so the pull and the winch post come off as one, did not take long to make very little mods needed.

Blusta
20-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Yep. But I had a roller door each end so boat goes in forward and the back door not facing the street has a rectangular section cut out(about 35 cm high and 25cm wide). Boat has hitch lock, chain over trailer rail to floor inside the garage and a bolt high up on one side of the roller door just for luck.
Gets about 60-70 cm through the door and the 5 metre boat just fits.

WalrusLike
20-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Whatever it costs is small potatoes compared to house prices... Just factor it into the house price.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Sheik
21-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I did see one up at Baffle. Old mate had just cut the door out and trailer was sticking out like dogs' bolls. Very CQ.

Roughasguts
25-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Leave roller door as is.

Build a removable panel that sits under trailer with slots for trailer A frame, slide this panel in to roller door chanel, one side then have end fill to fill space in other end of roller door chanel.

lock in to place with pins, bolts what ever and then just lower existing roller door on to panel and top of trailer A frame, cut new higher slots for the roller door locking pins in chanel.

Easy still be able to lock and keep the weather out.

Cheers.

WalrusLike
25-05-2013, 06:37 AM
RAG.... of course!!

I've even seen that solution used....

Don't know why it didn't occur to me before... Alzheimer's starting to kick in.....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

stevemid
25-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Mate, the garage is THE most important part of the house. If the garage ain't right, the house aint right. The bigger the garage is the more time you'll spend out there and the better your marriage will be. As a compromise you could insist on getting it fixed up as part of the deal and throw it on the mortgage.??

Steve

paullee
25-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Hmm yes this is a good option although door and garage is a double so the missus car has to drive in next to the boat....bloody good idea but would have to have double roller doors so as others have suggested factor it in to the price of the house and it seems it could be worth the effort....the plot thickens still waiting for the owners to "meet the market" as far as house prices go. Shoot me now i am starting to sound like a real estate agent!!

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

jtpython
25-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I Put my in on an angle works a treat
I use to have a piece of marine ply cut about 600 mm high that went over the draw bar with a slot so the dog couldn t get in and then the angle come into play

Swanie1975
25-05-2013, 07:52 PM
I knocked the back wall out and extended it by a metre at the last house so I could fit the boat in. Then I built a carport off the side of the garage and kept it there instead which worked way better as it was undercover but still got loads of fresh air and kept dry with no mould issues.

I miss the extra large double garage and carport almost as much as I miss that boat. No man cave at this place lol.

Cheers Ryan