PDA

View Full Version : Our First Big Boat - Under 40k HELP!

CorvidChop
17-05-2013, 01:24 PM
G'day Ausfish Community! (or should I say 'wealth of knowledge')

I have been reading this site for about 12 months now learning all I can about differing brands/types etc of boats. I know my questions have probably been asked a million times, I truly have read hundreds of threads from this site about the topic in question.

I have been a camper trailer man for years and have travelled this amazing country with a tinny but have sold up and now looking for a nice boat! :) (im very excited about this;D).

I am looking at spending no more than $40k - obviously 2nd hand is on the cards.
Requirements:

Use in open Bays/rivers/offshore
Comfy for my Wifey & Toddler/friends to jump aboard in summer times for a cruise or towing a biscuit etc.
Good Fishing boat - its primary use will be this, mainly with a couple of mates. All seasons in NSW, so needs to be nice for winter etc.
Under $40k with good resale, I may want to upgrade in a few years and don't want to be stuck with a pup.
After countless hours of reading/researching I have come to the conclusion I want a Glass boat. I find the large plate boats quite expensive for what they are and after all the reading just simply don't ride as well as a good solid glass performer?

I have truthfully fallen in love with the Haines Signature boats. I have yet to read a bad review and seem to be a well made solid Aussie boat.
Models interested in:

Haines Signature 542F - Seems like a great solid performer.
Haines Signature 575F - As above, I also like the glass wall infront of passenger
Southwind SF580 - Again seem to be good reviews, getting long in the tooth though? All seem to have a Yammy 2st 150hp or 130hp.
Should I be looking at anything else? Should I be looking at a good plate boat? if so what?
At what age should I get concerned about glass boats? wooden stringers etc?
2st vs. 4st - I am used to this debate from the dirt bike world, I understand the differences.. It seems that 4st boats are easier to resell etc, but most boats seem to be bloody underpowered which is frustrating!? ie. a haines 542f with a 115 seems to small to me?

I know this is a huge post and I am open to any suggestions I can get from people who know more than me.. (that aint hard!)

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
CC

Jarrah Jack
17-05-2013, 02:12 PM
I've got a 540 F with a 115 4 stroke and its not underpowered with two people and gear but if you carry four then it can struggle to get on the plane. The're a very good boat with a great rep. If you can find one with a 140 zuk you'll be laughing. Worth getting any boat checked out by a pro seeing you're new to boating.

Chimo
17-05-2013, 03:08 PM
With the uses you propose Haines stuff is good as is Seafarer that they bought from Lindsay Fry. For the $s you could also look at the 5.5 or 5.9 or even 6.0 Seafarers. All have good resale. The Victory (6.0) has a good cabin and the Vermont (5.9) an even longer but lower one then you get into the smaller models. Not sure what the tow vehicle is but a 4wd would be the way to go for the 5.9 or 6.0 m ones. If you dont plan on massive distance trips the 2 s will give more bang for the $s and will certainly tow better.

Heres a few to check our just specify size and min and max $s you want to spend http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?q=seafarer+boats+for+sale&Suggest=seafarer+boats&stype=Homepage&SelfSearch=1&SearchType=SearchWeb&SearchSource=13&ctid=CT3227983&octid=CT3227983

Cheers
Chimo

PS Nice Vic with late mod motor ! here too http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?eapi=2&sort=default&vertical=Boat&silo=Stock&base=604+896&N=4294910916%200%201586%201587+1599%201588&Range=Price:35000,45000

Crunchy
17-05-2013, 04:03 PM
[/LIST]Should I be looking at a good plate boat? if so what?
CC

You will tie yourself in knots trying to work through this if you open up this option again, having gone through this process it is essential for your sanity to at least have the Plate or Glass question decided....sounds like you have decided on glass so IMHO stick to that (That would be my choice for your needs).
I have a 2stk which is great for my needs until the family are on board... "WHAT, WHAT, I can't bloody hear you...."

Good luck with the search

Floating Rib
17-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Agree with Chimo on the seafarers, wouldnt discount Cruisecraft models either. Nothing wrong with 2 strokes although i love my 4, mainly for the quietness. I think a good low hours engine would be on my list though as they make up such a huge proportion of the value of a boat, especially if you buy a dud and need to replace it. There are also some older glass boats out there that have had the floors and transoms re-done and have been re-powered, the waves havent changed and some of the older Swiftcraft(viking, dominator) and Caribean/pride hulls were good, so many choices, good luck with the purchase.

CorvidChop
17-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Worth getting any boat checked out by a pro seeing you're new to boating.

Thanks Jack, yeh I was thinking the same thing! I might pay someone to check it out for me.
I would hate to get burned :-[

CorvidChop
17-05-2013, 04:30 PM
With the uses you propose Haines stuff is good as is Seafarer that they bought from Lindsay Fry. For the $s you could also look at the 5.5 or 5.9 or even 6.0 Seafarers. All have good resale. The Victory (6.0) has a good cabin and the Vermont (5.9) an even longer but lower one then you get into the smaller models. Not sure what the tow vehicle is but a 4wd would be the way to go for the 5.9 or 6.0 m ones. If you dont plan on massive distance trips the 2 s will give more bang for the $s and will certainly tow better.

Heres a few to check our just specify size and min and max $s you want to spend http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?q=seafarer+boats+for+sale&Suggest=seafarer+boats&stype=Homepage&SelfSearch=1&SearchType=SearchWeb&SearchSource=13&ctid=CT3227983&octid=CT3227983

Cheers
Chimo

PS Nice Vic with late mod motor ! here too http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/results.aspx?eapi=2&sort=default&vertical=Boat&silo=Stock&base=604+896&N=4294910916%200%201586%201587+1599%201588&Range=Price:35000,45000
Wow! Thanks Chinmo for going to the effort of finding boats for me! ha! Awesome stuff.. I had not really thought of the seafarers? are they up to scratch on the quality as much as the signatures are? Would you know what year Haines purchased them?

Many thanks again!

Agree with Chimo on the seafarers, wouldnt discount Cruisecraft models either. Nothing wrong with 2 strokes although i love my 4, mainly for the quietness. I think a good low hours engine would be on my list though as they make up such a huge proportion of the value of a boat, especially if you buy a dud and need to replace it. There are also some older glass boats out there that have had the floors and transoms re-done and have been re-powered, the waves havent changed and some of the older Swiftcraft(viking, dominator) and Caribean/pride hulls were good, so many choices, good luck with the purchase.
Thanks FR, I have looked at the CruiseCrafts. They are probably out of my price range I think. Good advice about the motor.
I am crapping myself at the thought of getting a dud motor. particularly because I know what they cost to replace.
Could you please tell me what constitutes "Low Hours" and "Too many Hours"?
I mean how long roughly do these 2 strokes last before rebuilds and how many hours before a 4 stroke is getting too long in the tooth?
I have seen many a nice looking Haines 600f with 140hp Suzuki's running 800 hours? seems like a bloody tonne!?

Chimo
17-05-2013, 04:58 PM
CC

Where are you located?

There are plenty of good second hand / older frp boats around and engines can go for thousands of hrs. For example I run a couple of old 2 strokes that my marine tech reckons are good for 2 or 3 thou hrs more. So herein lies the point, you could be well served by having your chosen marine tech (ie the one your going to have service the motor) be involved in doing pre purchase checks. It would be uncommon / unwise for a person to give himself headaches if he going to be doing the work. Also because there are a lot less moving parts in 2 strokes they are usually heaps cheaper to service; thats been my experience anyhow.

Depending where you are there could well be AFs close by who would probably be happy to kick a tyre or see if they can move a transom as they swing on the end of a motor of potential purchases.

Cheers
Chimo

lethal
17-05-2013, 05:20 PM
If I had 40K in the pocket i'd be looking at cruisecraft and haines 5.7 - 6m, with something around the 140hp 4 stroke. Easily manageable for solo trips or with family and friends in comfort. No need to buy the first boat that comes along but get the right boat. I'd shoot spaniardking a pm and ask about hours on motors. I wouldn't shy from a motor with 800 hours if a mechanic had checked it out.
good luck with the hunt.

Spiderpig
17-05-2013, 07:10 PM
If you are worried about resale value, my advice would be to steer clear of two strokes. They are great motors and do the job well.

I believe that there are a lot of buyers out there at the moment that will only buy a 4 stroke.

When you go to sell your boat in 5 years time, the percentage of buyers looking for a 4 stroke will undoubtedly increase making 2 strokes even harder to get rid of.

ozynorts
17-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey CorvidChop, check this one out. A little bigger than you had stated previously but it has lots of good stuff re electronics and still in the price range.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13577411&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=3&eapi=2
This one is a good one also.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14768879&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2
Be sure to get it checked and I would recommend a marine surveyor. Here is a link to the NSW members of the Aust Institute of Marine Surveyors.
http://www.aimsurveyors.com.au/memnsw.shtml

Knotpretty
17-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Wondering when the ads would appear ozy. KP

CorvidChop
17-05-2013, 07:42 PM
CC

Where are you located?

There are plenty of good second hand / older frp boats around and engines can go for thousands of hrs. For example I run a couple of old 2 strokes that my marine tech reckons are good for 2 or 3 thou hrs more. So herein lies the point, you could be well served by having your chosen marine tech (ie the one your going to have service the motor) be involved in doing pre purchase checks. It would be uncommon / unwise for a person to give himself headaches if he going to be doing the work. Also because there are a lot less moving parts in 2 strokes they are usually heaps cheaper to service; thats been my experience anyhow.

Depending where you are there could well be AFs close by who would probably be happy to kick a tyre or see if they can move a transom as they swing on the end of a motor of potential purchases.

Cheers
Chimo
Hey Chimo,
Im in Shitney, I should be able to find a pro to check it out.. I will look for my local boat mech and have a chat with them.
Wow. I had no idea that outboards could last that long! especially 2 strokes! obviously it all depends on how well its been cared for. i will ask the mech to do a comp test etc before I go handing over any cashola.
You mention "frp's"? whats that? probably a stupid question haha..

If I had 40K in the pocket i'd be looking at cruisecraft and haines 5.7 - 6m, with something around the 140hp 4 stroke. Easily manageable for solo trips or with family and friends in comfort. No need to buy the first boat that comes along but get the right boat. I'd shoot spaniardking a pm and ask about hours on motors. I wouldn't shy from a motor with 800 hours if a mechanic had checked it out.
good luck with the hunt.
Hey Lethal, thanks for your response. Yeh I have looked at the cruisecrafts but im not sure how old a hull is before its "too old"? Its hard to bomb 40k on a hull + motor that is from 2001 etc?
There is a Haines 600f with 140hp suzi 4st on boatsales for 39k..
Im just thinking that 140hp 4 stroke ona boat that big is a big ask! i wouldnt image a boat that big/heavy with a 140hp is going to go very well with 3 decent sized (read: FAT) blokes heading out to sea in it! :) haha

Thanks again everyone for the responses.. I really appreciate the effort!

CorvidChop
17-05-2013, 07:50 PM
CC

Where are you located?

Cheers
Chimo

Hey CorvidChop, check this one out. A little bigger than you had stated previously but it has lots of good stuff re electronics and still in the price range.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13577411&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=3&eapi=2
This one is a good one also.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14768879&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2
Be sure to get it checked and I would recommend a marine surveyor. Here is a link to the NSW members of the Aust Institute of Marine Surveyors.
http://www.aimsurveyors.com.au/memnsw.shtml
Hey thanks Ozy, I have seen both of those.. I was just concerned about the 800hours on the df140 bolted on the 600f and also its 10 years old now.. its probably not the original motor so how many waves has it actually had to belt its way through? Also, a 140 4st on a boat that big? Isnt that just gonna be a battle?
The 575f is a 2000 model so I get worried about the age? maybe I shouldnt be?
Is the 542f a good hull or should I be looking at the 575/600?

Chimo
17-05-2013, 07:54 PM
C C

frp is fibre reinforced plastic ie fibreglass.

Also your concern about "old fibreglass boats needs to be tempered by the fact that fibreglass has a rated life of some 50 years and thats in the nuclear industry.
By all means have motors checked over by your marine technician but as a GOM let me assure you that old does not mean worn out or stuffed.
If your buying with the intention of not keeping the purchase long then by all means buy a 4 stroke as the great unwashed have been convinced that these are a must have so you will find a buyer more easily from that pool.
Also note that what ever you buy, the motor must not be fed ethanol. The US govt has recently deemed it illegal to use it in motors used in boats because of the damage it does to motors, fuel lines tanks etc and they did it for good reason.

Cheers
Chimo

stue2
17-05-2013, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=CorvidChop;1478623]Wow! Thanks Chinmo for going to the effort of finding boats for me! ha! Awesome stuff.. I had not really thought of the seafarers? are they up to scratch on the quality as much as the signatures are? Would you know what year Haines purchased them?

Yes they are. very well built. very good finish. very good hull. even better with trim tabs
not sure when Haines took over around 2006 - 07 maybe. I should know this.

??chimo??

johncar
18-05-2013, 08:25 AM
I wish you luck but you may need a few more $$$$ to meet your fairly high spec. As in a fairly late late model high quality FRP boat with a big late model 4 stroke to take the family in comfort to me relates to something that will be more likely in the $60k upwards.
I know it is a buyers market out there so there might be some bargains but it is more likely you will be looking in the 10 year old area.
Having owned plenty of quality FRP boats I can also tell you that it is a myth that Ally wont perform as well. I own two plate boats ATM that both definitely perform as well as any of my previous boats if not better. But once again it would be hard to find one only a couple of years old and quality in the $40K under.

None the less something might come up so I wish you luck.

CorvidChop
18-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I wish you luck but you may need a few more $$$$ to meet your fairly high spec. As in a fairly late late model high quality FRP boat with a big late model 4 stroke to take the family in comfort to me relates to something that will be more likely in the $60k upwards.
I know it is a buyers market out there so there might be some bargains but it is more likely you will be looking in the 10 year old area.
Having owned plenty of quality FRP boats I can also tell you that it is a myth that Ally wont perform as well. I own two plate boats ATM that both definitely perform as well as any of my previous boats if not better. But once again it would be hard to find one only a couple of years old and quality in the $40K under.

None the less something might come up so I wish you luck.

Hi Johncar, I think im pretty much on the money for 40k. For what im after anyway.. I don't necessarily need the boat/motor to be last years model. I just don't really want a 4st from early 00's as they just weigh a tonne.. are getting to that age where a rebuild will be costly, if not cost prohibitive.
Can anyone tell me anything about the Haines Sig 600c? They seem to be good value.. obviously the cruiser range but still surely are quite good to fish from and head offshore?
Johncar, here are a couple I have found for 40k.
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13346141&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14531703&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=12&eapi=2

Can anyone shed some light on the HS 542RF? obviously the RF is the shorter cockpit with a larger deck which may suit as I cant see any of us sitting in a cabin *vomit!
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14391765&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=3&eapi=2
I would imagine that to perform quite well with the DF140 that's on it?

So yeh, the "C" range from Signature.. are they no good? are people just focused searching other boats?

Also, a curve ball!
What about a Whittley 1900 Clearwater? these seem to be well priced for a modern boat?

Cheers again all of you! fantastic help you are.

Floating Rib
18-05-2013, 10:47 AM
The 542 Rf is a awesome looking boat, thats what id probably have or 1 size up if they would fit in my shed, there was a nice haines for sale on this forum to by memory with a honda 4.

Sheik
18-05-2013, 06:44 PM
If you're anywhere near wynnum/tingalpa/manly road, john crawford have a very nice 540haines... very nice boat and even if it's just to get a feel for what you're going to be looking at, it might be worth the trip. There are a few verynice boats out there atm.

Chimo
18-05-2013, 06:58 PM
He's in Sydney Sheik!

hard2catch
19-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi CC,I have a 2005 Signature 610C with a 175 Opti.The C models have a larger cabin and a few other luxuries like a small sink/stove unit,plumbed fresh water,toilet.Still has plenty of room for fishing but also has the comfort for overnighting and taking the family cruising.My boat handles offshore waters well and has plenty of power with the 175.That 600c with the 150 zuk looks like a good buy if that's the type of boat you're after.
Cheers.
Scott.

fisho8
19-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey mate welcome to the forum

Have a look at this it will be soon dropped to 36900k (got the price wrong my bad don't know where I got 33 from might need to invest in glasses) as the buy wants to move it got everything you want for offshore and the family and is in good nick to. It is running a direct injection 2 stroke.

http://www.northsidemarine.com.au/boats-listings-pre-owned/half-cabin-boats-pre-owned/yachtdealership/1120-allison-angler-195-2002.html

Boat Review
http://www.trailerboat.com.au/news-and-reviews/article/articleid/57057.aspx

Have a look at these 2 I have had the 1750 and now have the 2100WA Whittleys are a great family and fishing boat you would get this for under 40k easy they have a great layout.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14640087&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

If I was going to get a sig it would be one of these the 610c tough as nails
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14658428&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Or this good boat for the money and a great family boat.
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12974672&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=4&eapi=2

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13577411&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Good luck with your search mate and make sure you do your homework before going in head first If a sig is what you like the run with that.:)

lethal
19-05-2013, 05:44 PM
3 big blokes fishing offshore in a 540 boat may be a lil small. A mate has a haines 600f with a 140hp 2-stroke and its a dream offshore compared to my 520C with a 90hp 4-stroke. 600f is great for 3 burley blokes but the 520C is definitely 2 person offshore. Older boats are fine if cared for, i'd rather a 10yr old boat with 800 hours than a 10 year boat with 200hours. If its getting used generally less goes wrong. I've a mate who bought a cruise craft bow rider '84 model for a steal, the hull is magnificent but the motor and trailer have seen better days. I don't worry about age but look at the condition of what I'm buying.

Smithy
19-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Ausfisher Outsiderskip is selling his V19C. It is a classic with rebuilt transom, 200 Honda and rebuilt trailer. Can't beat the weight in the rough stuff and the bunks in them are massive for the family trips.

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi CC,I have a 2005 Signature 610C with a 175 Opti.The C models have a larger cabin and a few other luxuries like a small sink/stove unit,plumbed fresh water,toilet.Still has plenty of room for fishing but also has the comfort for overnighting and taking the family cruising.My boat handles offshore waters well and has plenty of power with the 175.That 600c with the 150 zuk looks like a good buy if that's the type of boat you're after.
Cheers.
Scott.

Thanks Scott! thats some great info!
I think the 600c looks like a top boat. Im just concerned about its fishability with those fixed seats etc? im probably talking shite.. but the 600c value wise is still in the lead by a large margin!
You think a 150hp would push it along ok? pull a skier out of the water in summer and tube etc etc?
Could you tell me roughly what its costing you in fuel cruising your 610 per hour?

Cheers again,
CC

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Hey mate welcome to the forum

Have a look at this it will be soon dropped to 33k as the buy wants to move it got everything you want for offshore and the family and is in good nick to. It is running a direct injection 2 stroke.

Have a look at these 2 I have had the 1750 and now have the 2100WA Whittleys are a great family and fishing boat you would get this for under 40k easy they have a great layout.

If I was going to get a sig it would be one of these the 610c tough as nails

Good luck with your search mate and make sure you do your homework before going in head first If a sig is what you like the run with that.:)

Thanks Fisho for all the effort in that reply! and the searching of boats... I am truly flabergasted by the generousity by ausfish members already! :o What an amazing site.

Regarding the 610c? Can I ask why this would be a preference over the newer 600c?
Thanks for the last 2 links.. I am quite sold on the 600RF with clears.. They look like a great solid boat! Im just a little worried about 700hours on that Suzi DF140? or am I just being a pansy? Would that have enough Herb to ski behind and tube my fat mates behind it?

Thanks Again,
CC

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Ausfisher Outsiderskip is selling his V19C. It is a classic with rebuilt transom, 200 Honda and rebuilt trailer. Can't beat the weight in the rough stuff and the bunks in them are massive for the family trips.
Thanks Smithy, whilst I would never question the reputiation of the V19.. I have read enough to know they are like G-O-D status! I think they are just getting a little old for what im after now. If I towed a boat that looked that dated home after spending 40k my Mrs will have my balls! seriously mate... My balls!
Also my understanding is that the 600rf/c/f is the same hull with a different cab? is this wrong?

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 09:29 AM
3 big blokes fishing offshore in a 540 boat may be a lil small. A mate has a haines 600f with a 140hp 2-stroke and its a dream offshore compared to my 520C with a 90hp 4-stroke. 600f is great for 3 burley blokes but the 520C is definitely 2 person offshore. Older boats are fine if cared for, i'd rather a 10yr old boat with 800 hours than a 10 year boat with 200hours. If its getting used generally less goes wrong. I've a mate who bought a cruise craft bow rider '84 model for a steal, the hull is magnificent but the motor and trailer have seen better days. I don't worry about age but look at the condition of what I'm buying.
Thanks lethal,
I really love hearing first hand what these things are really like! How does the 600f go with the 140hp? Being a 2 stroke it would eat a 4stroke out of the hole.. but, could you see any issues of a 140hp 4st on a 600f?

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know any good Boat Surveyors in Newcastle area?

Also, what cost should I expect from a survey on a vessel? will they go over the motor as well and check comps etc etc?

Argle
20-05-2013, 09:37 AM
The 600RF would be my pick - the amount of deck area is massive when compared to the F/C range. Yes the same hull with different topsides. If its mainly going to be used as a day boat and not for overnighting then the cabin is going to wasted space. I went from a 493F Signature (great little boat) to a 580BR Signature and the ride and internal space difference is huge. I was almost ready to buy a 600RF but it was a poofteenth too wide to fit in my boatport and the missus wanted a bowrider so thats where the 580Br came in! If you are looking to do any skiing I think the 140 on the 600Rf is going to struggle - I have the 175 suzy on mine ;) The hours on the 140 are up there but looking at the boat it looks like most of the hours are probably from trolling (outriggers etc) so not such a concern. For me if I was wanting to ski I would want a minimum of 150 but 175 would be better on that hull. If the 600C that was up earlier suited you space wise then its a lovely boat that the wife will be happy with also.

How much fun is it shopping for boats with other peoples money!!

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Sheik
20-05-2013, 12:00 PM
He's in Sydney Sheik!
bugger
thanks chimo, i have sh** for brains sometimes

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 12:54 PM
bugger
thanks chimo, i have sh** for brains sometimes
Sheik for brains? *boom-tish

CorvidChop
20-05-2013, 12:58 PM
The 600RF would be my pick - the amount of deck area is massive when compared to the F/C range. Yes the same hull with different topsides. If its mainly going to be used as a day boat and not for overnighting then the cabin is going to wasted space. I went from a 493F Signature (great little boat) to a 580BR Signature and the ride and internal space difference is huge. I was almost ready to buy a 600RF but it was a poofteenth too wide to fit in my boatport and the missus wanted a bowrider so thats where the 580Br came in! If you are looking to do any skiing I think the 140 on the 600Rf is going to struggle - I have the 175 suzy on mine ;) The hours on the 140 are up there but looking at the boat it looks like most of the hours are probably from trolling (outriggers etc) so not such a concern. For me if I was wanting to ski I would want a minimum of 150 but 175 would be better on that hull. If the 600C that was up earlier suited you space wise then its a lovely boat that the wife will be happy with also.

How much fun is it shopping for boats with other peoples money!!

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Ha! I actually think people make better choices with someone elses money!
I find myself clouded by a particular boat until someone without any emotion involved tells me im being a fool!

I think maybe I should just wait for a boat with more herbs! its tough because I feel alot of people underpower boats! After searching now for months.. If I could get a dollar for every boat i have seen in the 5.5mtr-6mtr range with a 115hp on the back I would be buying this boat new!
I know motors are cheap.. But Im thinking I would sacrifice the size of the boat before I sacrificed performance.

Cheers,
CC

boboncc
20-05-2013, 02:04 PM
I feel alot of people underpower boats!
Cheers,
CC

I think a lot of it comes about with BMT packages sold by dealers keeping the prices down. There must be quite a few buyers looking at the price and are not aware of the performance with minimum power.

Cheers
Bob

FisHard
20-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I guess it depends on what level of performance you are chasing?? I've been on 2 19 footers (575 cruise craft and 197 pioneer sport fish) running 140 suzukis and they went great! It seems that motor demands careful prop selection, but if sorted properly, runs like a bird with very low fuel consumption. I wouldn't be too quick to judge a 6m signature with a 140. Just my 2 bobs worth :)

Jono_SS
20-05-2013, 06:49 PM
My mate has a 130 2 stroke on the Haines Signature 550C. It has great oomph, even when loaded with people and camping gear headed for Wathumba. It just doesn't have the fuel tank to do justice to the exploratory capabilities of the awesome hull!

Jono.

stue2
20-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Ha! I actually think people make better choices with someone elses money!
I find myself clouded by a particular boat until someone without any emotion involved tells me im being a fool!

I think maybe I should just wait for a boat with more herbs! its tough because I feel alot of people underpower boats! After searching now for months.. If I could get a dollar for every boat i have seen in the 5.5mtr-6mtr range with a 115hp on the back I would be buying this boat new!
I know motors are cheap.. But Im thinking I would sacrifice the size of the boat before I sacrificed performance.

Cheers,
CC

Yep all the boats mentioned are good boats. Once you decide what size motor you want on what hull you can sit back and wait for the right one ( or two) to come along because it will. One of them may even have the electronics you want.
All the hulls will perform differently but once you become familiar with them they will perform as you want them to. The extras may be what swings the sale.
I was looking for a late model single 4st motor but ended up with a twin 2st.

cheers
Stu

LoungeLizard
20-05-2013, 07:18 PM
... 197 pioneer sport fish...

How do you rate the Pioneer?

FisHard
20-05-2013, 08:52 PM
How do you rate the Pioneer?

Awesome boat! Maybe not the softest ride in a boat of its size, but very safe and comfortable. Beautifully finished and gorgeous lines. Hate the typical Yankee transom set up. Makes a joke out of local boats like tournament for finish and features, but I don't know if I could live with the transom. Big fuel tank too, over 300 litres I think. Serious range with a 140 suzuki!!!

hard2catch
21-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks Scott! thats some great info!
I think the 600c looks like a top boat. Im just concerned about its fishability with those fixed seats etc? im probably talking shite.. but the 600c value wise is still in the lead by a large margin!
You think a 150hp would push it along ok? pull a skier out of the water in summer and tube etc etc?
Could you tell me roughly what its costing you in fuel cruising your 610 per hour?

Cheers again,
CC
Hi CC,
There's enough cockpit room for 3 guys to fish easily and if you need more fishing space then remove the rear lounge.My 610 cruises around 45kmh@3500rpm using about 1.8 km/l and around 60kmh@4500rpm 1.4-1.5 km/l and tops out about 80kph.It is a fairly heavy boat with a hull weight around 1000kg so I wouldn't go less than 150hp but those SVDH hulls get onto the plane fairly easily.Should have no trouble tubing etc.
The 610c was made until 2005 then in 2006 there was some retooling of the hull which I think was mostly adding a moulded hull liner and internal changes and was renamed the 600c.
Highly recommended if your after a boat for fishing and keeping the family happy.If you're only looking at fishing then a F or RF Signature would be the better bet.
Cheers,Scott.

Sheik
21-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Sheik for brains? *boom-tish
oh dear...

CorvidChop
21-05-2013, 11:18 AM
oh dear...
ohh cmon man! that was a good joke! friggin tough crowd.. >:(

CorvidChop
21-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi CC,
There's enough cockpit room for 3 guys to fish easily and if you need more fishing space then remove the rear lounge.My 610 cruises around 45kmh@3500rpm using about 1.8 km/l and around 60kmh@4500rpm 1.4-1.5 km/l and tops out about 80kph.It is a fairly heavy boat with a hull weight around 1000kg so I wouldn't go less than 150hp but those SVDH hulls get onto the plane fairly easily.Should have no trouble tubing etc.
The 610c was made until 2005 then in 2006 there was some retooling of the hull which I think was mostly adding a moulded hull liner and internal changes and was renamed the 600c.
Highly recommended if your after a boat for fishing and keeping the family happy.If you're only looking at fishing then a F or RF Signature would be the better bet.
Cheers,Scott.

Thanks Scott.. I think its use as a family boat is also quite important and I cant ignore that..
The 600c seems like a good option for this.. Im hoping the weight of the hull just helps it when things get snotty offshore. Have you had yours offshore and how did it go?

Tickleish
21-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Johncar, I think im pretty much on the money for 40k. For what im after anyway.. I don't necessarily need the boat/motor to be last years model. I just don't really want a 4st from early 00's as they just weigh a tonne.. are getting to that age where a rebuild will be costly, if not cost prohibitive.
Can anyone tell me anything about the Haines Sig 600c? They seem to be good value.. obviously the cruiser range but still surely are quite good to fish from and head offshore?
Johncar, here are a couple I have found for 40k.
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=13346141&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14531703&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=12&eapi=2

Can anyone shed some light on the HS 542RF? obviously the RF is the shorter cockpit with a larger deck which may suit as I cant see any of us sitting in a cabin *vomit!
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14391765&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=3&eapi=2
I would imagine that to perform quite well with the DF140 that's on it?

So yeh, the "C" range from Signature.. are they no good? are people just focused searching other boats?

Also, a curve ball!
What about a Whittley 1900 Clearwater? these seem to be well priced for a modern boat?

Cheers again all of you! fantastic help you are.

That 600c at runaway bay lives on the water and does not have a trailer so you'd be looking at 50k - 55k for that one drive away.

I've got a 542F with a 135 Opti on it and I can do 43knots with 2 people and fishing gear. I can fish in the bay for squire, whiting etc with 3 blokes but offshore it only me & 1 more, you could fish 3 if you had too but its not ideal.

I could handle a 542F with a 115 if it was a 2stroke but would not get one with a 1154stroke.

I've had mine modified to fit a bigger tank and go 50NM offshore no worries - great boats.

Jarrah Jack
21-05-2013, 12:16 PM
I could handle a 542F with a 115 if it was a 2stroke but would not get one with a 1154stroke.

Tabs make a huge difference to how they go with a 115 4 stroke. Not top end speed but low down. Low planing speed and easier to get up on the plane with a lot of weight of fish in the back.:)

Yours with tabs would be a machine.

hard2catch
21-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks Scott.. I think its use as a family boat is also quite important and I cant ignore that..
The 600c seems like a good option for this.. Im hoping the weight of the hull just helps it when things get snotty offshore. Have you had yours offshore and how did it go?
I live in Far North QLD and regularly head 70-80km offshore fishing the reef.Theres been a few times caught out with 20-25kt winds and rough seas on the trip home.As long as you drive to the conditions it is a very seaworthy boat.The weight and deep V hull also help when it gets rough.My last boat was a Yalta 535 Allrounder which was a good boat for its size but a few extra feet of hull makes a huge difference in ride quality.

fisho8
21-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks Fisho for all the effort in that reply! and the searching of boats... I am truly flabergasted by the generousity by ausfish members already! :o What an amazing site.

Regarding the 610c? Can I ask why this would be a preference over the newer 600c?
Thanks for the last 2 links.. I am quite sold on the 600RF with clears.. They look like a great solid boat! Im just a little worried about 700hours on that Suzi DF140? or am I just being a pansy? Would that have enough Herb to ski behind and tube my fat mates behind it?

Thanks Again,
CC

There is not much difference between the 2 mate I just like the layout of the 610 better and the look of it they are both bulletproof IMO. As for engine hours It should be easy enough to have the engine hooked up to a diagnostic machine and check the rev ranges that engine has had over it's life for example I have seen this with a 150hp yammi 4 stroke which had done 800hrs they had hooked it up to the diag machine and it showed 400 of those hours the max engine revs were 2200rpm as this boat had done a lot of trolling over it's life. As long as the service history is up to date there (touch wood) should not be a problem. The 140 on that RF would just do the job but I would rather have something like a 150-175 on something like that are they are not a light boat nothing worse than an underpowered boat. Good luck in your search mate take your time and make sure you do the necessary checks on the engine a rev's check ETC.

Cheers Mick.

Jarrah Jack
21-05-2013, 09:43 PM
My mate has a 600c with a 140 zuk on the back and fisho8 is right. The 140 does the job but he's after a 175 for it.

alba
21-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I run a 2009 600c with a 150 Suzy on the back, reckon it would be better with the 175 version for going through the bar. But fuel economy is great for offshore runs.