PDA

View Full Version : Best antifoul - Newport harbour

trueblue
16-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Is there a preferred antifoul that works best in Newport Harbour?

I have Altex no5 on a fibreglass hull and am being monstered by barnacles

need to change to a different antifoul - obviously the Altex is a good antifoul, but just doesn't seem to suit the growth in newport harbour

advice welcome

cheers

rodneyk
16-05-2013, 07:30 PM
May be ask marineworks at scarbie . How often does the boat get used ???? altex cant be too good if its not working . As with all marine coatings you get what you pay for.

trueblue
16-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Altex is one of the more expensive antifouls.......

I think just different bugs in different marina

Blackened
18-05-2013, 08:28 AM
G'day

A lot of the antifoulers here at manly use the jotun range and swear by it, however a rarely used boat and/or a bad antifoul job will not be helping the cause at all. If you need a diver to periodically scrub the bottom, I recommend calling Bruce at mostly underwater on 0419778718.

Dave

trueblue
18-05-2013, 12:45 PM
She did sit for a few months during major repairs, but antifoul was perfect and only 8 months old

Only change was moving from Kawana to Newport

Strangely had no build up while she sat, barnacles started when she started getting regular use again

Will lift her shortly

Might go with Micron 66 (soft) as she only does 17 knots

Cheers

Blackened
18-05-2013, 01:39 PM
G'day

Give Luke from Luke's mobile prop repairs a bell on 0408692124 for his recommendation.

We work in a lot together, just yesterday we finished a 47' Nordhavn.

Dave

Smithy
19-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Use it more!

Get a hold of some of the good gear with heaps of arsenic in it from a developing nation! Still got any contacts over there? Not PC but they reckon the old antifouls used to be pretty darn good.

trueblue
20-05-2013, 09:24 PM
G'day Rob

Got told by a guru today that we killed the antifoul by drying it out during the survey lift, made it fail 4 months early

just need to redo it and all will be good again

also need to redo the bonding wires, continuity is shot with old non tinned wires, so zinc anode isn't working right

know what to do now

cheers