PDA

View Full Version : Recommend trailer winch for 3t boat

simonpp82
15-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi guys,

Just after some recommendations on heavy duty trailer winches. I currently have a busted 12volt electric "powerwinch" and I'm in need of something sturdy to replace it. I've never actually used it properly as I always drive on and off the trailer, so an electric winch is not necessary. I'm having a hard time finding anything that I'd confidently put on my trailer as my boat comes in at over 3t loaded up. What are the rest of you using?

hakuna
15-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Drive it on and off, standard winch only to hold it there or pull it the last 3"

cheers

Chimo
15-05-2013, 05:14 PM
You cannot use a powerwinch to hold a boat on a trailer when travelling.

I have a 912 that is used on a Vagabond and I only wet the bottom of the rear rotors so its got a job to haul the boat up and onto the trailer. Works well once I learned how to use the black knob and ran a double cable and pulley block from the bow eye.

If you have a 912 whats the issue with it?

Parts are easy to get and if its the little bearing washer thingo, once you replace it and only tighten the black knob when the motor is running and only tighten it enough to engage the clutch it works fine (for me) rather than do it up too tightly, which stuffs it, which is easy to do if you tighten it before engaging the motor drive.

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
15-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Tmax 4wd winch with spectra braid from the same mob. I love mine. Remote control forward and reverse and stop.

Cheers

Chimo
15-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi Oz

Which one (just for interest sake!) http://www.kulkyne.com/au/T-Max-Winches/?gclid=CMvo-szel7cCFYggpQodBFcAQQ

johncar
15-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Are you saying that your boat alone is over 3 tonne or is the trailer factored into that.
If the boat is 3 tonne than you need a winch of approx 1500KG minimum as a rule of thumb.
If boat motor trailer weighs 3 tonne then usually a 1000kg winch should suffice assuming that the trailer is set up well and maintained with working rollers or skids.
The Trojan R8573 seems decent enough and put a 7 - 8 mm dyneema rope and suitable hook for your boat.
The Alko F0145 should also do the job but replace the steel cable with 7 - 8 mm Dyneema

I agree with ozscott and Chimo and both my boats have 4x4 recovery winches fitted with dyneema rope, winch off winch on, trailer barely touches the water on ramp launches. Big boat has a Warne 9000lb and little boat has a cheaper ebay X4000lb, Quick for my solo launches, no fuss no damage, no handles to lose!! love it.

rexaway123
15-05-2013, 08:34 PM
my 7m noosa cat comes in 3T on trailer but I would never even contemplate trying to winch it up...drive on and off territory only.

use a "boatcatch" device and could not survive without it now solo launch and retrieve

Winch there is just to hook on only, never done any winching with it

i will take a pic of one I have which should be rated correctly...boat and trailer only 9 months old

rexaway123
15-05-2013, 08:41 PM
http://www.marinewarehouse.com.au/products/trailer-parts/winches/winches-10-1-5-1-and-1-1-ratio
10 5 1
this is one on my noosacat...but like I said it doesnt need to do any winching as such

ozscott
15-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Chimo - it was Dyneema not spetra now that I looked at the site. Mine is for a Vitari size 4wd. They have all gone open type, but mine was closed in and narrow drum - I will have to post up a pic. Essentially I added another 15 feet or so of remote control cable. I plug it in, and can go and stand at the transom if I need to in wind to hold the boat and just wind it on from there. Its got heaps of grunt. I have wound it on and off dry recently when removing the trailer for re-build and its easy. I really like how you get off either the forward button or reverse and it just holds. You can release the pawl and it will free spool. It came with wire, but it broke and I love the rope.

Cheers

EdBerg
15-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Hi, I just recently went through the same process, busted up my 4000lb winch after about 9 trips, however I have a tall trailer and the boat gets dragged up on a very high angle, boat weight is 2500kg. Have now replaced it with a 13000lb winch so that doesn't have any problems with pulling it out. When up on the trailer, it gets secured to the winch post by chain.

The problem I had with mine wasn't the pulling power, it was because the spool is made out of aluminium and one of the flanges snapped off the spool. I think all the small winches use ally spools.

Cheers

Ed.