PDA

View Full Version : New Battery Vs Jump Starter

Justin Rossiter
15-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Thinking of getting a second battery for my boat or a 600a jump starter from Repco. Would be to use in case of flat battery....Obviously Any thoughts on what would be a better way to go. I have a good charger and my battery is always charged, this would only be for peace of mind. I do to camp so do not require a second battery to run anything else.

Cheers

JulianDeMarchi
15-05-2013, 04:26 PM
The choice comes down to where you fish I spose. If offshore, you for sure want a second battery for sure!

I've just gone down this path. I went a N720 Century 720CCA and a bluesea ASR system for a total cost of $359.

Swanie1975
15-05-2013, 05:44 PM
I went with the jump start pack about 20 months ago. Was good at first, I used it on cars 4wds as well as the boat and powering a portable live bait tank, but now the battery's crapped out and won't hold a charge so back to square one.

I'm thinking second battery this time round as I've already run the switch and wiring without the missus noticing lol

Cheers Ryan

justlovefishing
15-05-2013, 05:44 PM
buy the second battery and dont waste your money on the jump starter. they dont work. had them in the break down units for getting cars and trucks going. waste of time.

Justin Rossiter
15-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Thanks for that, sounds like a second battery for $199 would be better value.

Cheers

J

thelump
15-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Yeah doing the same thing at the moment mate. I reckon you can get out of it all hooked up without VSR for under $300. Wynumm Marine have good prices on Seamaster batteries. The m70 for $150. Cables switch and battery box on top of that.

rexaway123
15-05-2013, 08:28 PM
i have 2 batteries and also one of these champion things...like u said piece of mind is pretty cheap in scheme of things when I 50km offshore

"Superminibooster"...just google it

fat-buoy
16-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I had a jump starter banging around for a while (bought it to take on a long 4x4 trip) but I found that after a while it was leaking its contents and was pretty much dead weight.

I will allways recommend the second battery with a good isolator as the best option... The Supercharge Seamaster Gold is supposed to be good...(although I just have the brand that came in the boat when I bought it) price is not that bad either.

purnong
16-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I have had a few of these battery pack things and while they will work to help a partially discharged battery start a motor I wouldn't want to rely on one as my main Get out of jail free card
The ones that I have opened have a pissy little battery inside and when you stand back and look at it, Would you use that piddly little battery as your main? I certainly wouldn't and that's what you are asking of it as a back up
My opinion and my opinion only is when it comes to batteries, The same as engines, There is no replacement for displacement
Battery packs have their place but as your main means of starting your engine and getting back home, isn't one of them
You would be much better off with a properly sized second cranking battery, It will more than likely be cheaper as well

Fed
17-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I got over 10 years out of my last jump starter.

My reasoning for going down that path was the smaller 17' boat, less stuff to fail when you need it and solid motor connections to the battery.
I reckoned on needing it for 3 seconds once every 5 year but only used it on the boat for 3 seconds in that 10 year period. (It got a bit of car use though)

FWIW I fired up the old 90hp V4 with a pull cord a couple of weeks ago, piece of cake.

Justin Rossiter
17-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Is that because of the quality Fed ? see plenty of small cheapies out there at the moment in various stores.

J

Fed
17-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I think so Justin, I paid about $220 back around 2000 for the last one.
The one I just bought was about $180 so they have come down a little, both were Projecta brand.

Horses for courses I guess, with a smaller boat/motor I would probably rely on a pull cord and with a bigger boat I'd go the full on dual battery setup, same with a new tech motor as some of those require serious battery power.

For my setup I didn't see the need to carry a 20+Kg battery around to use it for 3 seconds over 10 years.