PDA

View Full Version : Fisheries Hotline

kingcray
14-05-2013, 05:19 PM
FYI

Copied and pasted the below from here, http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/28_12658.htm

Illegal fishing activities
"Fishwatch hotline

To report unlawful fishing in Queensland, call the 24-hour Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116 (toll free within Queensland)."

This is NOT a 24 hour hotline. After hours they direct you through to customer service person one after the other and have no interest in hearing you reporting illegal fishing activities.
After receiving a phone call from a fellow ausfish member who saw them , I tried to report several boats and kayaks fishing in the green zone off woody point / scotts point this afternoon, most of them probably still in there.
Has this zone been changed in any way?? Normally the odd 1 or 2 get in there but not this many. Sat on the phone for nearly 20 minutes, what a waste of effort.

Dignity
14-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I sat off Beachmere a while back and watched a boat trawling through (what I thought ) was a green zone, spoke to my mate about it and he says that the boat is a regular there and the fisheries are often at the ramp and have met with the guy but he has no idea of the outcome other than the boat is still there. I was thinking of calling fisheries but as I had a few drinks I prefered to wait till next time as I know I can speak out of turn after a couple of refreshers. Could be the zone has been changed, I will check it out next time I visit him and report it if it hasn't changed although the problem as I see it is how does one determine how far the boat is from the shoreline as he could be just outside the zone.

Moonlighter
14-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Fisheries are often not all that interested in enforcing green zones - it is the Marine Parks rangers that get excited about that stuff. So you need to contact the correct agency.

And if those green zones had any actual credibility or achieved anything measureable at all, people might be more inclined to support them - but since they dont achieve anything and were based on pseudo-eco-political babble.........

kingcray
15-05-2013, 06:12 AM
Fisheries are often not all that interested in enforcing green zones - it is the Marine Parks rangers that get excited about that stuff. So you need to contact the correct agency.

And if those green zones had any actual credibility or achieved anything measureable at all, people might be more inclined to support them - but since they dont achieve anything and were based on pseudo-eco-political babble.........

yes i agree but i wouldve thought what they were doing would come under "unlawful fishing in Queensland" .. just a bit disappointed that they couldnt care less.
I guess it means 'after hours' you can get away with whatever you like. I wonder if Fisheries ever do patrol this area at night, i have never seen them
I will try back today during business hours