PDA

View Full Version : Throwing poppers for GTs

Muddy Toes
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
So as part of the Swains trailer trash contingency I'm looking at doing a bit of sport fishing for GTs in the area while we're up there.
As luck would have it none of us could be classed as 'fisherman' so to speak let alone 'sporting' by any stretch of the imagination so my question to everyone is what kind of poppers should we take up with us and what little insider tricks are there to catching them?
I'm taking up a Shimano Saragosa 18000 coupled to a Shimano T-curve revolution 601 for throwing poppers around and it is what it is.........i can't justify buying a whole new set up just for this trip so with this in mind, what else should we do to increase our chances up there to hook one?
Thanks.

Horse
08-05-2013, 09:37 PM
From what I have been told look for the pressure points of current hitting the reefs or schools of fusiliers. Cheaper poppers like halcos can still do the job. Stick baits are worth having on board. Apart from that let the guys in the know fill us in. I'm taking a Monster Mesh popping rod either matched with Bulls Saragosa 1800 or my fin Nor Offshore 7500

cobiaman
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Those monster mesh's look alright! I checked one out yesterday

Muddy Toes
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Should we have a popper/stick bait making attempt while we're waiting for the trip so we can show our craftsmanship off to each other and see if any of us can catch something on them?

Horse
08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
That sounds like a plan to me. I will have a crack at one or two. Nothing too phallic though.

Muddy Toes
08-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Cool...........I don't know what phallic means but mine will probably be poached by Shimano once it's seen by the public. I'm going to try and knock up a couple at work next stint and see how they go.

Doing it at work gives me the advantage of having unlimited time and resources during the day but still does nothing for my abilities!!!

Daintreeboy
08-05-2013, 09:52 PM
The few times I've done it we have targeted shallow bom miles with schools of fusiliers. We throw either stick baits or poppers as close to or even past the schools and drag the lures back through them.
I prefer poppers and GTs like them to be 'popped' by doing long sweeping strokes followed by the line retrieve step then sweep again. Without tumbling the lure the more water you can pop the better and makes for some brilliant action when you get into them.
Last trip we used a Halco H53 white redhead and it outshone the rest by a country mile.
On other trips we have used Captiva Yamoto poppers in the 20cm long range and some Gillies stick baits to good effect. There are some expensive lures out there but if the conditions are calm the above poppers will get the job done, just find the bait schools and get the lure in there.

cobiaman
08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Doing it at work gives me the advantage of having unlimited time and resources during the day but still does nothing for my abilities!!!

Hardly fair for some of us that actually do work whilst at work...

lucee81
08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
So as part of the Swains trailer trash contingency I'm looking at doing a bit of sport fishing for GTs in the area while we're up there.
As luck would have it none of us could be classed as 'fisherman' so to speak let alone 'sporting' by any stretch of the imagination so my question to everyone is what kind of poppers should we take up with us and what little insider tricks are there to catching them?
I'm taking up a Shimano Saragosa 18000 coupled to a Shimano T-curve revolution 601 for throwing poppers around and it is what it is.........i can't justify buying a whole new set up just for this trip so with this in mind, what else should we do to increase our chances up there to hook one?
Thanks.

We get a quite a few gt's in Darwin and I may have boated 1 or 2.

Muddy Toes
08-05-2013, 11:20 PM
So your choice of popper and technique, where to look for them and gear to use would be................................................ .................................................. ................

lucee81
09-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Rod reel, fast fast retrieve and in the water.
I'm going looking at rods this week and will grab some poppers for us.
Will even put up more info tomorrow when I'm awaker

netmaker
09-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Should we have a popper/stick bait making attempt while we're waiting for the trip so we can show our craftsmanship off to each other and see if any of us can catch something on them?

Malcolm douglas used to catch em on bits of white shopping bag, tinfoil and cut up rubber thongs. you shouldn't have to stretch your abilities too far mate...

jtpython
09-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Set should be right for them mate and like most have said where pressure is and turn of tide trops of shallow reef edges should be some top ground there to hit . The Dumb Bell Multi we had all our success on : At B C F at reasonable price I upgraded the hooks
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/IMG_3846_zps7a8abefc.jpg (http://s371.photobucket.com/user/jtpython/media/IMG_3846_zps7a8abefc.jpg.html)
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/IMG_3842_zps03de6b42.jpg (http://s371.photobucket.com/user/jtpython/media/IMG_3842_zps03de6b42.jpg.html)

marto78
09-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I second the dumbell poppers they are nice and weighty so can be thrown a long way, and they make a good pop when retrieved and also won't break the bank balance. Tackle Warehouse at Cooparoo have a really good range of sizes and colours.

thelump
09-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Pfffft Poppers.::) Just hook a red and white laser pro on and go for a drive. easypeasy;D

cobiaman
09-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Pfffft Poppers.::) Just hook a red and white laser pro on and go for a drive. easypeasy;D

Yea maybe for bait sized gt's but we are after big ones macca

thelump
09-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Yea maybe for bait sized gt's but we are after big ones macca

at least you will be match fit after winding up green eyed sharks from 300 metres next week.

cobiaman
09-05-2013, 09:26 PM
at least you will be match fit after winding up green eyed sharks from 300 metres next week.

Good practice for muddy toes...

Nicko_Cairns
09-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Greg from Reefari knows his stuff.

Recommended poppers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhmnimUylLU

How to beef them up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyZC2RrGiGw

How to fish a popper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfFvKWhgew

Cheers.

Nicko_Cairns
10-05-2013, 10:13 AM
oh and I heard about a bloke at Lucinda that was sick of losing poppers, so he just rigged up some unpainted bits of broom handle and worked a treat apparently, lol. unsure if he actually cupped the face or not.

cobiaman
10-05-2013, 12:45 PM
so he just rigged up some unpainted bits of broom handle and worked a treat apparently, lol. unsure if he actually cupped the face or not.

Stickbait???

scuttlebutt
10-05-2013, 03:02 PM
If you're just getting some for a trip I'd suggest some Halco Haymakers and some River2Sea Rover stickbaits. Both will catch fish and last longer than the hand-made wooden jobs. Certainly don't need the flash Japanese stuff for Trevors.

Nicko_Cairns
10-05-2013, 06:49 PM
haha I guess it would be!!

Stickbait???

FisHard
11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks.

Hey MT, GTs can be pretty simple to catch on the right day, jn the right water of course!
Your outfit with 80lb braid, will land 75% of GTs you encounter and to get significantly better performance, you need to spend a pile more cash. Because popping is my thing, I've got high end Japanese gear (no change from $3k for rod, reel and braid) but have caught plenty of GTs on the regular stuff and enjoyed every one of them. The key factors for DIY GTs are:
The right water. This is the key! You are looking for lots of run, bait and reef structure. So, if you get a 4 kt current pushing bait up on the edge of a reef- Bingo! If you lob a bit of painted wood in there, it will get bit! I find calm weather much more productive too. When it's choppy, it makes it all a bit difficult, particularly in a smallish boat.
Lures. The big Halcos are great and there's no need to go past them for your first foray. Personally I would upgrade the split rings to Owner #11 and replace the trebles with barbless singles like Owner sj 41 in 11/0. Barbed trebles can do a lot of damage to a fish and if you come into contact with one 100 nm offshore, it won't be pleasant. Sinking stickbaits are very effective too and easier to work than poppers. If you can get onto 7 Seas Missile in 100 gm or the AWSB range, you'd have a good plan b. Big mackerel love stickbaits.
On your 80 lb braid, use a 120-200lb mono leader about 2 m long. On the business end, we tie a big swivel and split ring, so we can change lures easily. You need a slim knot to be able to cast without blowing out your runners, so take the time to learn the FG knot. A double uni will just end in tears!
When you hold your fish up for a photo, be very careful of the scoots at the base of his tail. Very sharp. Luckily, GTs are normally very tame once in the boat.
Good luck boys! If you have any specific questions, let me know.

mustang5
16-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Swains Trailer Trip Home made popper comp??

Winner gets his boat cleaned and fish filleted by all involved.

Im in!

team_mongo
16-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Hmmm GT's...

Where - Reef edge, where the current pushes up, bays where there is an eddy formed as the current goes by, drains, when the water is pushing off the reef. Some of the biggest fish come out of the drains and bays. No run no fun. Look for fusilers and you are in..

How - heavy braid, FG or PR knot or a twisted leader. Long cast followed by immediate retrieve, you'll often get slammed on the first or second pop. You need to be accurate and drop the lure right on the reef edge, like a foot off, not 3 metres off. Keep the line tight when popping, because slack cause the popper to tumble, which can get the line tangled around the hooks. There are not many people who can pop all day, but I have seen a few. Get yourself a couple of stickbaits, to give you a break for the hard work. Work them like a gold bomber. Check your drag before you set out, usually 10-14kg. 120+lb leader often 200lb. Avoid snap swivels only split rings. Hooks - I use singles, Owner SJ41s or Jobu's. Trebles can get levered out one hook against the other in the corner of the mouth.

Beware of the river2sea dumbells - good to cast and pop, but are weakly constructed. The neck snap after a couple of fish and the hook inserts can pull out of big fish. Dont be afraid of trying different lures, I like pencil poppers, that you can "slap" on the surface. The cast the furtherest, are easy to work, and are deadly..

Big fish will grab your lure and rip line off your reel and then just let go, the hooks aren't even in the fish. I try to set the hook a couple of times after the strike, just to be sure.

Have fun...

TM