PDA

View Full Version : Black Sikaflex - AGAIN

tenzing
08-05-2013, 12:55 PM
I know its been done to death, but after reading the silicone tips on another current thread I have come cap in hand to ask advice for using the dreaded black goo on a white glass boat!
I have just had some neceesary repair done and it has left me wanting to pretty up a section where a black flange has been cut out to enable steering hoses to pass through.
I have decided to use a cable tie as a kind of formwork to build up the missing section to its original curvature,
I have done a little test, and it seemed to go about the same whether I used a separator ( marine grease smeared on with cotton bud) or not. I allowed the sika to sit for 2 days before removing cable tie)
I have my rubber gloves , bag of rags, metal spatula and turps ready.
I am appealing to any Sika Gurus to pass on their tips as this is in a highly visible area.
Cheers
Brendan

GBC
08-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Perhaps a photo of what you're doing?

Dishwashing liquid and a bone handled butter knife is about the best sika joint finisher I have used. The wooden spoon that comes with the little single serve vanilla icecreams runs a very close second place. Tape up, apply the sika, finish it back, clean up with turps.

tenzing
08-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Perhaps a photo of what you're doing?

Dishwashing liquid and a bone handled butter knife is about the best sika joint finisher I have used. The wooden spoon that comes with the little single serve vanilla icecreams runs a very close second place. Tape up, apply the sika, finish it back, clean up with turps.
Can do when back home if it helps. Cheers
Brendan

MudRiverDan
08-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Pretty sure you can get Marine Sika in white.

Dan

Shark Poker
08-05-2013, 04:23 PM
You could take all the gear you have prepared, and go to Manly Boat Harbour.
Practice on some yachts, before you touch your own boat.
Pauly

Gon Fishun
08-05-2013, 04:57 PM
The one thing you do need is a silicone/sikaflex gun that, when the trigger is released, the pressure comes off the cartridge completely so as no pressure to keep sika running from nozzle. Silicone guns that release completely are hard to find. I have one only, probably out of 20 over the years.
Cheers.

tenzing
08-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Only a small job so going to use 291i in a tube rather than gun, easy to control pessure and flow.

tenzing
08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Pretty sure you can get Marine Sika in white.

Dan
Yep Dan the job is black flange and cables. Already been sealed in white , now needs to get pretty.
I have used the stuff a few times, and if its under your nails or on your hands you literally have to wait for them to grow out to get it off! They talk on their website about sika wipes, but I havent seen any or other wipes to remove it. It truly is horrible stuff to clean off but sticks like shite to a blanket, I just need to try and tool it smooth to make it look nice.
Detergent on the knife??
Cheers
Brendan

johncar
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Detergent everywhere you don't want the Sika to stick. Good stuff but bit of practice to keep it under control, good luck!

GBC
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Yes, detergent everywhere - squeeze the sika into the joint then spray it with detergent prior to finishing it back. You'll be able to use your finger or a blade. Keep it moist with detergent as you finish it to your satisfaction. You'll be able to use the flats of your fingertips back and forth to flatten and smooth it - just keep the detergent up to it or it'll stick to you. By detergent I mean detergent and water mixed up like a strong dishwashing brew.

tenzing
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Righto , heres the job.
The white area is filled with white sika and the flange is thick enough to hold a 450mm cable tie to act as formwork.

Shark Poker
08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Mask up the 3 cables and the outer of the flange surface with electrical tape.
Apply a minimal amount of the sealant.
Smooth with fingertips after wetting them with soapy water.
Then leave.
Touch up the next day if required.

FishHunter
08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Clean up with acetone or thinners before the sika skins is the way to go.

outta line
08-05-2013, 08:33 PM
i use sika a bit at work and use prepsol to clean .. as for your hands use a moisturiser cream on them before touching the sika that should keep the sika from turning your hands black/white and a bit of spit/detergent on the finger you are working with..

LoungeLizard
08-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Surgical gloves + detergent mix. No mess, no fuss. As others have said use some electrical or masking tape around the cables and ducting, then cut with a scalpel/box cutter around the edges to remove. I would also suggest using a small tube of Sika which will be a lot easier to maneuver into the the corners.

tenzing
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Have got the gloves , blue masking and small tube .
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will do it in daylight though.
Cheers
Brendan

captain rednut
08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
hey Brendan
it appears you have finally got to the steering job??
cheers jim

tenzing
08-05-2013, 11:07 PM
hey Brendan
it appears you have finally got to the steering job??
cheers jim
Had the steering looked at a while back (Garry got it sorted quick smart).
Just had the genuine rigging kit fitted at recent service.
Cheers
Brendan

GBC
09-05-2013, 07:04 AM
If you have kids, they'll have sticker books. The blanks left behind make perfect sikaflexing templates to stick down before doing jobs like yours. Just a thought if its already sealed, you may be better off just painting the white stuff using the above method?

LoungeLizard
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
That was my thought when I saw the pic, but the white stuff is also Sika and you would struggle to find paint that will stick to it

tenzing
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
That was my thought when I saw the pic, but the white stuff is also Sika and you would struggle to find paint that will stick to it
Yes the sika is supposed to be both sandable and paintable. I wonder what it is like to sand?
Anyhow , it is hard to see but there is an obvious chunk out of the side of the flange that I will build up to height and try to smooth and contour of the rest.
Cheers
Brendan

fisho8
09-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I hate the stuff really we used it when I was panel beating as we used it to restick body moulds. I found prepsol works best to wipe it away and clean it up. You can mask the area Brendon and get a bodyfiller applicator or a small spatula to apply with. Apply am little bit of sika to the area at a time and then gently press it onto the surface this will give you a flatter finish as you do not want to build it up too much.:)

Cheers Mick.

stevej
10-05-2013, 08:23 AM
my neighbour is a ex sika rep.

the sika wipes are just a orange based cleaner on a rough cloth, grid like heavyduty chux

put on 3 pairs of latex gloves and just peel one layer off as you get them dirty, use your finger to give a curved edge
i mask the area up with masking tape then cut out with a razor blade and just leave in place till it dries, this stops it going everywhere and you can rest your fingers on the tape as you form the edge

it also only has a short shelf life under 12 months try and buy the newest product you can it flows easier

tenzing
10-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tips Steve
I especially like the multi glove idea.
Cheers
Brendan

ScottB
10-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I am also a fan of multiple gloves, also use this technique when antifouling (you think Sika is bad, you should try that stuff!!). For the rounding, I use paddle pop sticks (buy a packet, you will go through more than you can eat!). The trick is to do a bit of the edge, then wipe off the paddle pop stick before there is too much build up on the leading edge, that will create way more mess. So just do edge/wipe/edge/wipe etc, then do one long run all the way along it once you have the excess off.

tenzing
10-05-2013, 10:04 PM
I am also a fan of multiple gloves, also use this technique when antifouling (you think Sika is bad, you should try that stuff!!). For the rounding, I use paddle pop sticks (buy a packet, you will go through more than you can eat!). The trick is to do a bit of the edge, then wipe off the paddle pop stick before there is too much build up on the leading edge, that will create way more mess. So just do edge/wipe/edge/wipe etc, then do one long run all the way along it once you have the excess off.
Thanks Scott , The hints keep on coming
Looks like there is pressure to show a better than half way decent result after all this help.
Cheers
Brendan

tenzing
20-05-2013, 08:26 PM
I thought that after all the generous advice, I should share the result.
Not very exciting I know but used almost all the tips : multi gloves, spray bottle with soapy water, masking off surrounds, heaps paper towels etc.
Got everything ready first and it all went well. no big black marks on the white glass afterwards.(AND CLEAN HANDS)
Many thanks again
Brendan

WalrusLike
20-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Slick job mate, well done. I have some sika jobs on mine your welcome to take over if you like. :)

That's the kind of thing I want to do but either never get around to or botch when I do.

You can be proud of that. Passengers won't see it but the skipper will.....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

trublumk1
21-05-2013, 04:09 AM
A little tip, once finished with the sika flex put it into a plastic bag (to stop smell) and put it in the freezer it will last a long time, i had a salesman tell me this so i tried it and it works.
cheers

tenzing
21-05-2013, 07:36 AM
A little tip, once finished with the sika flex put it into a plastic bag (to stop smell) and put it in the freezer it will last a long time, i had a salesman tell me this so i tried it and it works.
cheers
Yes I normally store sika tubes in there. ( gee with bait etc there isnt much room for ice blocks!)
In this case the access beide the outboard was a little tight so I used a small tube . It says "single use" on it, but with the screw on cap you can seal it up tight straight after use then back in the westinghouse!
Ps I did use a cable tie as formwork with some grease as a separator. If I were to be pedantic, I would probably have melted some wax on to the corrugations on the tie( which had to go on the insude to get a long fat tie to sit on the narrow flange) then trim it smooth wit a knife to get rid of the bumps.
Cheers
Brendan

chris69
21-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Ill seconded putting the left over sika in the freezer its a good trick for a lot of adhiesives.

fandtm666
21-05-2013, 02:23 PM
i vac seal mine and then put it in the freezer as well