PDA

View Full Version : New Fishing Regulations Catch Limits Disucssion Paper NSW- Catch limits to halve

mylestom
08-05-2013, 07:12 AM
New discussion paper released with responses required by Jul2013. Mostly it decrease most popular species limits by half. Seem like a proposal to punish Recreational Anglers, whilst not restricting the Commercial sector.

While I mainly practice Catch n Release, I still feel that this is aimed mostly at the family and weekend angler.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/464765/review_discussion_paper_web.pdf

Please take the time to read and pass on to other for widest distribution.

Trev

Tovo64
08-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Like any fisherman I am very wary of Government regulation. There is always a suspicion that policy is set by people who have little empathy for fishing as a recreation. As I am based in South Australia and fish mainly for Snapper, flathead and whiting I was most interested in comparing those limits. Here for snapper, the limit is 5 under 60cm and 2 over. Boat limit of 15 and 6 respectively. I really think that's entirely reasonable. It allows for a couple of nice pannies to cook fresh, 1 or 2 in the freezer or give away. I reckon 10 per person is more than necessary. I think Queensland's limit of 4 with 1 over 70cm is perhaps a bit tough, but not by much. NSW current laws seems pretty generous by comparison. I do agree that compared to commercial fishing, recreational fishing has minimal impact. Just my opinion.

snapperdan
11-05-2013, 03:29 PM
guys im bumping this back up to the top

the survey they put out only takes a few minutes to fill out and a bit longer if you want to put notes on it.

You dont need to live in NSW to see this as disastrous for nsw fishos.

You will need to supply a nsw address though. Easy enough. Google a business in nsw and use their address.

Fishing is expensive enough, if this gets through we will barely be able t catch a feed.

There are some species on this that do need help and there are some species that dont. Ill leave it up to you guys. Jewies have been left out of this review surprise surprise. Dont want to piss off the pro sector.

Have your say.

samson
11-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Commercial guys are undergoing review right now it's looking to go to quota based on shares in the fishery at present so if you don't have enough shares you could potentially be able to catch less than recs that is gonna be disastrous for pro's and buy backs will be initialized to eliminate licences so in saying that some of those changes seem more than fair and some seem ridiculous in regards to jewfish pro's got some restrictive changes recently.

Boat Hog
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Well I read the "discussion paper" and filled out the online survey. I hope it's nothing like the Marine Park Zoning discussion papers (i.e. a foregone conclusion!).

Some of the proposals I agree with .... I mean who needs to catch 20 flathead or 20 bream in a day? Reducing to 10 per day as a bag limit seems okay to me.

Other proposals are a bit mind bogling - like the proposal to reduce the combined deep sea species group bag limit from 5 to 2 for Blue-eye Trevalla, Banded Rockcod (Bar Cod), Hapuka and Bass Groper. Using the argument that anglers now use electric reels that make this type of fishing so much easier. Geezus, it makes it that much more expensive!!! The cost of equipment together with fuel to get out and back would make you think twice about it for only two fish (plus a limit of 2 Gemfish) - seems to me like the pro's don't want more and more rec fishers targeting the deep stuff!?

The whole thing is mostly reductions in bag limits from 20 to 10, from 10 to 5 and from 5 to 2. There are small "increases" proposed, mostly they are changes in size restrictions, but on the whole it's all take and little give to the rec angler.

Another thing I had a comment on was the proposal to introduce fin removal to certain recreational caught fishes to prevent illegal fish sales. Funny thing is the whole survey kept comparing NSW bag limits to the already low QLD Limits and then they pull out this crap which has already been discontinued in QLD??!

Might have to think about stocking some fish in the dam ...... might be the only place left to fish soon ......

Cheers,

Feral
11-05-2013, 07:26 PM
It will take them a while to realise all the catch and release fisho's are tossing them back sans a fin to make them useless to commercial fishos......