PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper fridge/freezers

rtp1984
07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
How are you all?

Just wondering if anyone out there has one of the cheaper 12 volt fridges? Such as the techni-ice or cheaper evacools or alike?

Please don't turn this into engle v waeco v trailblazer.

I have a high name fridge, but am looking at maybe buying a cheaper one as a second to run as a freezer on extended trips, and can't justify the money for a top end one.

Just want to know about your experience with them.

Thanks
Rob.

TheRealAndy
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I got a primus one. Works a treat. Thermostat is not the best, but my waeco was not much better.

marto78
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Have heard nothing but good things about the Primus fridge/freezers.

Owen
08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I just bought an ezi cool unit off eBay
Done two camping trips with good results.
Bit early to judge longevity but performance had been good and current draw acceptable for a 110l unit.
My only complaints are that the freezer side can't be set higher than minus nine degrees (cant run as fridge both sides) and the Aluminium lining inside isn't sealed when you get it so liquid can get in behind it. A bit of silicon fixed that.
This is the 90l version
http://bit.ly/UWSdO6

Dignity
09-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Rob, was in at evakool the other week and they had some really well priced units - different brand name as apparently they rebadge for different companies, they are at caloundra so only a short hop away for you. It would be well worth the effort as I nearly bought a unit with a cover for myself except the missus was with me and wanted to know where I was going to store it and a few other choice words. If you want me to check out what they have send me a PM and i will pop in and see what they have available.

TheRealAndy
09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
FWIW, my primus is a Chinese fridge with a danfoss compressor. Evakool was selling the exact same unit with their brand name on it.

I reckon you cant go wrong with the full chinese units. Price is really cheap, they look ok and all reports say they work ok.

aussie9
11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Have a look at the Ironman Fridge/Freezer range on $Bay......... Danfoss compressor with 3 yr general warranty and 5 years on compressor. I bought the 50lt job ($775) and it works a treat

Rip it up
11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I have had a primus 65Lt dual zone "mammoth" fridge since Xmas. Excellent.
Runs 3days on the aux battery in the ute or a small century marine I use at camp.

Quality is good. $1000 price tag. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

TheRealAndy
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I have had a primus 65Lt dual zone "mammoth" fridge since Xmas. Excellent.
Runs 3days on the aux battery in the ute or a small century marine I use at camp.

Quality is good. $1000 price tag. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I was the first person to purchase one in QLD, had to put in a pre order!! I got the 92l on mates rates. Thread here: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?186752-Primus-Mammoth-Fridges&

BTW, I can fault mine, and that is its painted grey (as per my thread)!! I am going to respray mine white one day, as any colour with black in sucks in the qld sun and makes your fridge work harder. I have since bought the insulated cover, but have not had a chance to use it yet.

Rip it up
11-05-2013, 08:58 PM
I do have the cover on mine if that helps. And live in Gladstone.

EdBerg
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I also bought a cheap chinese 12V and 240V with a step down brick transformer, 60lt fridge freezer for about $560 delivered on ebay including a cover, mine is an all fridge or a fridge/freezer(either side) or all freezer model. The same model is also listed as a 80lt unit by other sellers but this seller was honest enough to accurately state the true size and is 20/40lt and each compartment is separated by a wall and two plastic covers for each compartment. So far it works really well, and have only used it a few times in the boat and about a month in the house as a spare freezer. No dramas apart from a flat button battery in one of the temp gauges. This unit replace a 120lt icebox which I wasn't happy with as we would need to put plenty of ice to keep stuff cold (which took up a fair amount of usable box space) and needed to keep adding as the ice melted. So overall we have about the same amount of usable space. With this one, plug it in and good to go, can't tell how good it is on the power usage as only did one overnight trip with it on and as I have a 150amp deep cycle house battery powering it, it wasn't enough time to tell about the current drain. Although according to the specs it's supposed to drain about 4 amps max. The temps get down to about -18C which I am happy with. If only they came with a small built in fan, although I am thinking of fitting one in each compartment to circulate the cold air and help chill the food quicker.

Cheers

Ed.

rtp1984
13-05-2013, 08:55 AM
I am looking at getting about a 45l job, that is either all fridge or all freezer, I'll be using it as a freezer mostly, and have my 60l waeco as a fridge. I was going to build one myself, but the price of these Chinese fridges on the market is pretty hard to go past.
Here is an example.

http://www.techniice.com/car-fridges-1.html?size_l=73

Anyone got one of these?
Thanks
Rob

FTW
13-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Using a waceo supercheap auto special its either all fridge or frezzer had it fora bit over two years. Used often for camping and longer trips. Has been to lake Eyre simpson desert and never missed a beat. Highly recomend and was only $3/400