PDA

View Full Version : Christmas could be lean this year.

ozynorts
07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Why you ask.
Because this box of goodies just arrived in the mail. 92234
So now the fun begins.
What is the best sikaflex to use?
Cheers Ozy;D

johncar
07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
291 white or black I use, pretty sure

johncar
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Oh and congrats on the toys by the way, nice gear there!!
Watch that Sika too, I don't know how it does it but it just seems to get itself all over the place and me as well. Get plenty of rags or a roll of chux disposable wipes in the ready before you even open the stuff up and don't wear your favourite clothes. Did a job with it yesterday when I raised the engine one hole to reseal the bolts thru transom and had it all over me before any went on the job :/

ozynorts
07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that tip. I normally have some sort of rag handy when I do anything with silicone etc as it always gets every where.
By the end of this exercise I am going to have a much better idea of my boats electrics and wiring as I am going to rewire at the same time. Fun times ahead

bigjimg
07-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Nice bit of gear.What Transducer did you get, through hull or transom mount? If through hull use Sika 291 or Dow Corning RTV sealant/adhesive. Mask up your transducer completely with masking tape and use plenty to seal/glue in place to fully seal it. Mineral Turps to clean up after. Paddle Pop sticks make tooling off easy as well. Cut up some old carpet into 300mm square pieces to rub off excess sealant from tool. Have fun. Jim

Boat Hog
07-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Looks good Hayden! Rather you than me - I leave that stuff to the professionals. ::)

Guaranteed, once the boat is in bits the weather will be great! ;D

I will be interested in having a look over the improvements in September (if not before).

Cheers,

ozynorts
07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Bigjimg, I got the transom mount as there was no way I was going to attempt a through hull.
Hey BH, yep you can bet the moment I get into it the weather will be good. I am looking forward to it but am sure that there will be moments of WTF am I doing here.
I can't wait to see the Furuno in action.
Cheers

Muddy Toes
07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Nice bits of gear there Haydn....

Only way to use any kind of silicone like product is to run your bead around whatever you're sealing then get a pump spray bottle of water with a bit of dishwashing liquid in it and spray the bead and the job around it then tool off the excess with a paddle pop stick, once the excess is gone run your finger over the bead to smooth it out and let dry. Perfect everytime and no mess.

WalrusLike
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks muddy for the tip.

Last time I used sika I had a new roll of paper towels handy. When i had finished my wife came out and it looked like the front yard had snow on it from all the tossed scrunched sheets.

She just shook her head and went back inside....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Muddy Toes
07-05-2013, 09:44 PM
See WL.................I'm not all dislikes, negativity and spun out acid induced posts.

Make sure you're actually pushing the silicone in the joint as you run a bead as opposed to just dragging across the joint and make sure the nozzle is cut on an angle to suit the gap.
Don't forget to give the end of the paddle pop stick a hit with the spray bottle too before tooling off.
Don't forget to give your finger a hit with the spray bottle too so it slides over the wet silicone to smooth it off.

God...............if I used to do it for a living I'm sure you can do it, or maybe that's my 'thing' in life, my calling so to speak, the one thing I excel at that raises me above mere mortals.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,being good at something is a nice thought...............

cobiaman
07-05-2013, 09:53 PM
See WL.................I'm not all dislikes, negativity and spun out acid induced posts.

Dude, he is using tapatalk, we cant see if you like or dislike our posts...

Muddy Toes
07-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Oh well...............your loss.

cobiaman
07-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Disliked post?

Muddy Toes
07-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Nar...we're friends remember.

trymyluck
08-05-2013, 05:00 AM
So when does the other box turn up???

Boat Hog
08-05-2013, 05:45 AM

The one with the thumping new 4 stroke????!!! :) :)

WalrusLike
08-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks Muddy. For the extra info.

Oh crap.... Now I've stuck my head up again its gonna get shot by Muddys friendly fire.... :)

Oh well..... :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

ozynorts
08-05-2013, 07:49 AM

The one with the thumping new 4 stroke????!!! :) :)
It turns up when the lotto gods smile on me. :)