PDA

View Full Version : Yammy f70 instal to hornet 450

DD
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Hello fellow ausfishers fact is a Yamaha dealer on Brisbane north side fitted up a f70 to my brand new hornet trophey 450(purchased seperately),they sea trialed it apparently & the fitter was previously a sundown marine engine installer with extensive experienc with hornets so felt at ease,like to mention my last boat was 4.15m with 40 yam 3 carb 2 stk n wow that moved.But this should leave her for dead you would think,boy what a let down it was.
How is it that my mechanical steering is nearly 3/4 of a turn out from centre just cruising and my cav plate well hidden until I trim her up almost max and with revs @ 4800 and above??Are these fellas holding their D_ _ k in their hands when they say they've sea trialed my new prized possession and that she's a leathal beast.Bloody scoff scoff fellas.
Interested to know if the height of outboard goes up will this correct the steering issue and my top end speed,and should I have to pay to have this sorted...

wayno60
06-05-2013, 06:22 AM
The above company fitted my f70 and i couldnt fault them. My cav plate is level with the bottom of the boat, maybe 1 cm up, so thats all ok, but yes theres no excuse for not getting the steering right.

Spaniard_King
06-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Did you discuss water testing at the time of signing a deal??

Many engines are fitted and not water tested, especially if the setup is a known fact ie second hole up ect

Did they install new steering of simply hook yours up?? if the steering was no new they would have hooked it up as it was... so no need to centre the wheel

Spaniard_King
06-05-2013, 06:38 AM
The above company fitted my f70 and i couldnt fault them. My cav plate is level with the bottom of the boat, maybe 1 cm up, so thats all ok, but yes theres no excuse for not getting the steering right.

Do you know whats involved with getting the steering right Wayne???

DD
06-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Wayno60;so you have 450 hornet as well fitted up with a f70?,what hole number did they fit you up with.mine is through the second hole down from the top and cav plate level with bottom of keel and on hard cornering fully trimmed up she will not slip,I guess this is the pre determined height that Spaniard_king wrote of,I think I would like more bang for my buck out of the 70 is all...let me know Wayno60

Spaniard_king;sea trial was included and discussed prior to fit up and the big wig upon picking up told me they were satisfied after testing.The steering is original from factory and had never beed fitted up before ,how hard is it for them to adjust after fitting? I dunnnno

Noelm
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Not exactly 100% sure what you mean about the steering being the way it is? I "THINK" you mean when going straight ahead, the steering rod is too far one way in the tilt tube, is this correct?

wayno60
06-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Do you know whats involved with getting the steering right Wayne???

Garry,
No i dont, theres probable more to it than meets the eye, but these guys do it for a living.
Im sure if it was my job id want to learn how to do it properly, specially after someone spending 10k with me...

DD,
No, I have a 4.75 bluefin and i limited my self to 3500rpm for the first 20 hours. Now im up to 35hr and still havent been anywhere near the red line.
when i get home this arvo ill let you know what hole mines on.

wayno60
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QnJHiwkBw

Spaniard_King
06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Wayno60;so you have 450 hornet as well fitted up with a f70?,what hole number did they fit you up with.mine is through the second hole down from the top and cav plate level with bottom of keel and on hard cornering fully trimmed up she will not slip,I guess this is the pre determined height that Spaniard_king wrote of,I think I would like more bang for my buck out of the 70 is all...let me know Wayno60

Spaniard_king;sea trial was included and discussed prior to fit up and the big wig upon picking up told me they were satisfied after testing.The steering is original from factory and had never beed fitted up before ,how hard is it for them to adjust after fitting? I dunnnno

If it is new and it has never been used on an outboard before, who installed the steering on the " BOAT " they should have set it up correctly. The engine height/prop selection and steering should all be set up correctly if new before leaving their yard if not take it back and ask them to rectify it....

DD
06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Wayno60;Thank you for the link although hornets/ally cav plates maybe different heights with porpoising to glass.howd you go with the hole count on yours mate.
Gaz;yes was all new so will ask them to rectify it next service I guess

wayno60
06-05-2013, 08:31 PM
DD,
mine is in the top hole but we're not comparing apples with apples...ie two different boats