PDA

View Full Version : New owner questions

boboncc
05-05-2013, 04:47 PM
As some of you know I am a boat newbie. Well I got my new boat home on Friday and took it out with my son for a spin this morning, had a great time! ;D

I have a couple of possibly dumb questions with regards "after a day on the water". I flushed the motor but I'm on tank water and the pressure is OK but not fabulous, below is a picture of the telltale with the engine at 2000rpm, the telltale water was warm but do you think there is enough water flowing through as I don't want to cook the engine, also the manual said take the prop off but the dealer did not mention it????
There are a few wheel marks at the bottom of the hull from when I winched it in, am I correct that it is just new rubber wheels making the marks and don't worry about it?
I washed the boat by hand, but used a water blaster on the trailer (on medium pressure) to try and reduce the effects of the salt water, any comments?

Cheers!
Bob

Still_Dreamin
05-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Gday mate. Yep marks are from your rollers, i posted the same question last year when i bought my boat ( never had a fiberglass before). Someone suggested wd40 to get the marks off and it worked a treat. Tell tale looks good enough. Is that what it looks like out on the water at idle? If yes then it is fine. Warm just means it is doing its job and cooling the motor with the thermostat open i think. As for the prop thing is for legal purposes. If somehow it got knocked into gear whilst flushing it wouldn't carve you up. Just accommodating those simple people who walk amongst us.

boboncc
05-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Is that what it looks like out on the water at idle? If yes then it is fine.

Thanks Still_Dreamin Yes it looks pretty much like that at idle, there is some water coming from a couple of other holes and the exhaust (through the prop) but I guess that is normal.

Cheers!
Bob

WalrusLike
05-05-2013, 05:33 PM
SD has answered but I just thought I would add my two cents worth.

Your boat looks beaut and I am sure you will have a ball.

If you can its a great idea to hose the trailer down then lightly apply the trailer manual brake and take it for a lap or two of the block.

Drys the disk rotors off from warming up and drys the trailer a bit too.

When you run on muffs make sure hose is full pelt and let it run for at while..., 5 mins at least. That's to ensure thermostat has opened and water is flushed through the restricted part.

If you can park boat so it tilts to stern the water will run out the best direction. Leave the bungs out while at home.

When flushing on muffs watch it the whole time... if the muff slips and water isn't going in then you risk overheating.

If you want to avoid some simple mistakes I suggest you search for the thread 'Mistakes I have made'. A few of us have compiled a collection to avoid. :)

My new trailer had bearing failure early on so always feel trailer hubs after a drive. They should be no more than mildly warm. It's a good early warning system of impending failure.

Hope you have a ball.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Swanie1975
05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Re the roller marks next time you have the boat in the water check your rollers are clean. Mine left marks like that each time until I found some sort of greasy stuff on two of the rollers, wiped them clean with petrol and the marks stopped.
My suzi likes full pressure on the hose for a flush but if I up he idle a little it gives a nice strong stream (1200rpms)
Nice looking rig I'm sure the family will enjoy, the more you use it the better they get.

Cheers Ryan

boboncc
05-05-2013, 05:56 PM
WalrusLike and Ryan

Thanks guys for the replies, all suggestions noted. My main worry was the water pressure even with the tap full on. Ryan that telltale picture was with the engine at at the dealer suggested rpm (2000rpm), is yours similar at 1200rpm? As I said the water stream was warm but not hot and so I'm hoping that is a good sign.
I guess I'm just worrying about the new member to the family!

Cheers
Bob

Still_Dreamin
05-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Big investment Bob so you should be vigilant. No dumb questions just expensive repairs if you don't care

Swanie1975
05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeh mines pretty much the same but the water pressure in this house is awesome so a bit more flow. You could go or dual inlet flushmuffs if it worries you but I can't see any big problem. Mine can take a good 10 secs or so to pump water sometimes as well but I coming up on the 100hr service so it will get a new impeller then.

Cheers Ryan

bigjimg
05-05-2013, 08:17 PM
G'day Bob,
My Merc telltail is just hose water, it doesn't go through the cooling system so don't be too surprised if yours doesn't either. The water that ejects from the spout centerline below cowl will be hot when the thermostat opens up. On mine it is 58 deg. Be careful throttling up on idle on the muffs, because if it isn't getting enough water you will have a melt down of your impeller. Your better off just running at idle when flushing there is no benefit really of increasing the revs. Remove your cowl and spray the lot with Protector Spray Lube or Inox Industrial every 2-3 trips and remove any salt deposits with a 3 inch soft paintbrush and water, don't use any detergents. If you have a compressor give a good blast with the air gun before you spray with the lube.
Check that your boat isn't rubbing on the cross members when you launch, mine did when I first got it. If it is get it back to the dealer. Check threads on Dunbier. I don't want to hear of you damaging your boat due to a poorly set up trailer.
I am not trying to worry you but it is worth checking. Nice choice of boat, your going to have many years of enjoyment in it. Jim.

tunaticer
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Another couple of points to take in that have not been covered yet.
You mentioned that the manual said take the prop off so I assume you did. ALWAYS use a new split pin when you put the prop back on. I didn't once and I was 20 miles out to sea when the prop tasted the bottom.....last time I ever take that risk again.
Secondly you said you used the water blaster on the trailer, that's ok but did you flush the trailer completely internally to remove the salt residue inside?? Be sure you wash it just as thoroughly internally as externally. Remember you submerged your trailer in salt water that is complete coverage inside and out, be sure you get complete wash in and out or else in 5 yrs time you will have light rust forming on the outside that has come all the way through from inside.
The tell tale water stream is simply a visual indicator that water is flowing through, by itself it is not actually part of the cooling system to manage the temperature, it merely shows you that the water channels have positive pressure. It is also a good idea to get a short piece of copper tube and bend it to 90 degrees and push it in the end of the telltale hose so it pumps water in a more visible area whilst you are at the helm, many boats have lousy view of the water stream from the helm.

Keep the dewatering spray up under the cowling on the engine after each flush, it will avoid corrosion starting on bolts and screws and any chips in the protective coatings.

Your safety chain on your trailer should come from the drawbar, not the winch post. In case of corrosion or accident, winch posts seldom survive unscathed.

boboncc
05-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeh mines pretty much the same but the water pressure in this house is awesome so a bit more flow. You could go or dual inlet flushmuffs if it worries you but I can't see any big problem. Mine can take a good 10 secs or so to pump water sometimes as well but I coming up on the 100hr service so it will get a new impeller then.

Cheers Ryan

Thanks Ryan

boboncc
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Big investment Bob so you should be vigilant. No dumb questions just expensive repairs if you don't care

Thanks Still_Dreamin.

boboncc
05-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Jim and Jack Thanks for your input .......... all good stuff.
I'll be retiring later this year and really have a lot to learn about boating, but I'm looking forward to the challenge! Good news is my son and I are going for another spin again tomorrow morning!

Thanks again!
Bob

Lancair
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Congratulations on the new boat, I hope you have years of fun to come.

As usual everyone has covered all the usual tips and suggestions, this site is great for help.
Re marks on the hull from rollers. My boat is the same, I get marks from rollers. I have cleaned mine, while the boat was off the trailer, and cleaned my hull thoroughly. The marks re-appear ? The rollers get dirty again. Either its from tar and oil etc flicking up from the road, OR from the exhaust of my ute. It's a 2008 Hilux D4D, but doesn't ever blow visible smoke so ? After the back breaking effort to clean the hull last time, I've given up, I'll live with the marks for now.

tenzing
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Hi Bob
Lovely boat, I am sure you will enjoy it with all the time you are gonna have soon ( lucky bugger!)
About those rollers. You might want to have a bit of a read of this old thread, it will give you all the info you need about grey rollers and the dreaded grubby marks.
My final answer was to take them off and replace them with RED poly rollers. I havent cleaned a mark off for years. A bit of cost involved ( unless you can sweet talk the dealer into swapping them for a bargain?)
but it is a hell of a lot better than continually cleaning the boat and rollers.
Cheers
Brendan
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?132153-Dirty-Rollers-Marking-Boat-BEFORE-amp-AFTER&highlight=dirty+rollers+marking

LittleSkipper
06-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi Bob

All I can say is enjoy the boat and enjoy it even more in retirement.

The more you take it out the more comfortable and confident you'll feel.

Making boating mistakes is all part of the learning curve.

I would like to ask if you have any mains water supply at all? If not no big drama

I'd just like to suggest you use a cut down plastic drum to flush your outboard. Just my thought but you can continue using the muffs.

Also! You do not have to remove the prop every time you flush your motor.

Happy Boating!!

Tangles
06-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi Bob,

congrats on your new boat, just one query reading your query about flushing the motor and i might of read it wrong, what did the manual state take the prop off for? like Little Ship said, no need to take prop off to flush the motor

mike

Tickleish
06-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Bob,

congrats on your new boat, just one query reading your query about flushing the motor and i might of read it wrong, what did the manual state take the prop off for? like Little Ship said, no need to take prop off to flush the motor

mike

Hi Mike, most manuals I have read say take the prop off.

It is simply a safety thing. If the engine gets knocked into gear their is no damage can be done to the outboard or any body standing near. I think you'll be suprised how many manuals will state to take prop off. I know my last 4 outboards from the mid nineties 3 x different brands have said that.

Crunchy
06-05-2013, 09:28 AM
.......... Inox Industrial...........

I would suggest Lanox rather than Inox, there have been reports of some plastics / insulation becoming brittle with long periods of use with Inox, just to be sure.

boboncc
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Lancair I'm not sure why my wheels would be dirty, the boat has only been in the water twice, when I took delivery and again yesterday.

Brenden Good link making interesting reading. I may have a look at changing to the coloured polly rollers in a couple of months, after I have improved the bank balance!

LittleSkipper Unfortunately I live semi rural and there is no town (mains) water. I thought I'd try the muffs first, however I may use a drum as I have one which should be large enough, I take it as long as the water level is above the anti-cavitation plate it sould be sufficient?

Mike Yep that is what the manual said. My motor has the facility to place the drive in a "separate" neutral (cant remember its name) and increase the revs without the prop turning making it safe.
I think Tickleish is probably correct, manufacturers try to be extra safe due to litigation. Having said that I will be extra cautious!

Crunchy Thanks duly noted.

Again thanks everyone for taking the time in giving me advice. I've had to delay my outing with the boat until this afternoon, at least it will be a bit warmer!

Cheers
Bob

LittleSkipper
06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
No worry's Bob! If you live semi rural and no mains supply water your probably better off sticking to the muffs otherwise you may end up with no tank water at all filling up a drum all the time?

Your outboard is a 4 stroke so would be relatively quite compared to a 2 stroke.

Good Luck with it all?

WalrusLike
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
..., If you live semi rural and no mains supply water your probably better off sticking to the muffs otherwise you may end up with no tank water at all filling up a drum all the time? ......

Actually I think it the other way around. The muffs need at least 5 mins of hose at full open.

A drum with a lid will be once only then the occasional top up/water change.

The actual amount of salt that is mixed in to the drum would be infinitesimal and of no consequence.

Also a drum run is way better than muffs because it guarantees safe usage with no fear of muffs slipping. In any case all will be well no matter what method you choose.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

boboncc
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
LittleSkipper and WalrusLike Thanks guys, one thing I'm not short of is tank water, especially since my two daughters left home!
I will give the drum a go at some stage, am I correct that as long as the water level is a little above the anti-cavitation plate that should be sufficient?

LittleSkipper
06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
LittleSkipper and WalrusLike Thanks guys, one thing I'm not short of is tank water, especially since my two daughters left home!
I will give the drum a go at some stage, am I correct that as long as the water level is a little above the anti-cavitation plate that should be sufficient?

Actually Bob you can immerse the entire lower leg into the drum above the cavitation plate, it will have nil effect when your flushing your outboard and as long as the water inlets on either side of the lower leg are immersed and the prop spins freely in the drum.

ozynorts
06-05-2013, 07:33 PM
I bet you are loving the boat mate. After following your journey on here to finally deciding on it is good to read you didn't waste time getting it wet.
Enjoy.

boboncc
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Actually Bob you can immerse the entire lower leg into the drum above the cavitation plate, it will have nil effect when your flushing your outboard and as long as the water inlets on either side of the lower leg are immersed and the prop spins freely in the drum.

Thanks mate, that confirms what I thought.

boboncc
06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
I bet you are loving the boat mate. After following your journey on here to finally deciding on it is good to read you didn't waste time getting it wet.
Enjoy.

Thanks ozynorts, I've really enjoyed the journey so far and I'm sure I'll continue to do so...... the boat is great! My son is over from WA for a couple of days and we are having a great time, so much so he says he will do his boat licence when he goes back. Anyway tomorrow we will go for another drive around Brisbane water, good thing we have understanding wives!
No point in having a boat and not getting it wet!!!

Cheers
Bob

WalrusLike
06-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Bob you may already know this.... but if you feel like a lazy day with the boat then hanging out at Horshoe Bay on Peel island would have to be one of the prettiest spots in the bay. Good fishing nearby also.

Has a massive wife approval factor.... Generally clear water with lovely slowly shelving sand beach. Of course Tangalooma Wrecks and the Sandhills and elsewhere are beaut too.... but Horshoe can only be got to by private boat.... Makes it special in a way. Just in case you were looking for a cruising destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cobiaman
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Bob you may already know this.... but if you feel like a lazy day with the boat then hanging out at Horshoe Bay on Peel island would have to be one of the prettiest spots in the bay. Good fishing nearby also.

Has a massive wife approval factor.... Generally clear water with lovely slowly shelving sand beach. Of course Tangalooma Wrecks and the Sandhills and elsewhere are beaut too.... but Horshoe can only be got to by private boat.... Makes it special in a way. Just in case you were looking for a cruising destination.

I think he means brisbane waters in nsw, part of the hawkesbury river...

WalrusLike
06-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh.... :)

Oops.... My interest in the map stops at the Tweed. Didn't realise they'd copied the great states capital cities name.

In that case.... Horshoe bay in beautiful Queensland, a cruise worth taking. :)

boboncc
07-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Oh.... :)

Oops.... My interest in the map stops at the Tweed. Didn't realise they'd copied the great states capital cities name.

In that case.... Horshoe bay in beautiful Queensland, a cruise worth taking. :)

Yep I live about 860kms away, just calculating the fuel I'll need for the round trip! ;)

Seriously ........ sounds like a nice place to go!

Cheers!
Bob

ericcs
07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
bob, the outboards that i have flushed in a drum over the years have sometimes struggled to pull the water up even if the water level was well above the intakes. the impeller sits on top of the gearbox which is above the where the gearbox joins the mid section. to be safe the water should be above the impeller, then the water can make it's way into the impeller housing before you start it.
it could be a bit of a struggle to get the motor leg over the top of a drum(unless it's on wheels) deep enough. you'll have to keep adjusting the drum position as you lower the leg down
love the boat!
eric

boboncc
07-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks Eric.

LittleSkipper
07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi Bob

Below is the drum I use to flush my outboard, it is 5mm thick polyethylene plastic, very light, very strong & also flexible.

Before I slide the drum over the raised lower leg and past the cavitation plate I first have to lower the trailer height winding the jockey wheel down to give the outboard clearance to manoeuvre the drum into place.

Once the drum is over the lower leg it's just a matter of holding it with one hand whilst lowering the outboard to the ground and manoeuvring it into place as mentioned previously.

You will see the flex in the drum when it is sitting on the ground with the lower unit inside the drum (Pic No:3) I've been using this drum since I bought my boat way back in 2010.

This also gives you an idea of how far in the drum the lower leg actually is?

It has been very reliable. the only down side is you have to use the garden hose to drain the drum, but it is relatively quick and gives the surroundings gardens some grey water.

As for any issues with the outboard sucking water up into the impeller and around the engine block?

ZERO issues, she sucks water and pisses it out like a female on heat! ;D

The only time I think you would have an issue whilst flushing your outboard is if the fins on the impeller pump are worn out? the tell tale is blocked?
(And I've had this issue from wasps making there mud nest up the hole)

or perhaps of some other mechanical issue within the engine?

boboncc
07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks LittleSkipper

Thats pretty much how I was thinking of doing it, my drum looks like it might be a touch larger but there should be no problems.
Just got back from three hours of fun on the water, flushed the motor and washed the boat ............... now for a few cold ones!!!! ;D

Cheers!
Bob

johncar
07-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Great story and outcome for you, nothing like a boat, or two.
It's actually quite acceptable to have a few cold ones while cleaning and packing it all up, makes the task seem far more recreational me thinks.