PDA

View Full Version : what type of fibreglass to use ?

timeout
03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi
I Want to fill a hole in the deck that is used for storing the anchor rope and chain because I am fitting an electric winch which needs a hole in a different location.
Just wanting to know which type off fibreglass would be best to use ? Most of the existing hole will be covered by the new winch so I'm thinking of painting the small area in 2 pack paint after glassing it.
Thanks Dave

bigjimg
04-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I would use the piece that you cut out for the new hole to fill the old one. when you have glassed that one in,grind it and fair with polyester resin mixed with micro balloons and then flow coat and polish. Unless you have done repaires before i would suggest a bit of research, there is heaps of "How To"on the net that shows the process. It is very straight forward if you have skills and the tools. Have fun, Jim.

timeout
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks Jim
That was my plan with the cut out. Im a spray painter so I have a bit of an idea but I have never used gel coat. how would you match the colour at home ?
I also wasn't sure which resin is best for a boat.
Ok off to you tube.
Cheers Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

bigjimg
04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
It would be a fair bet that polyester resin would be the go. a couple of layers of chopped strand mat,top and under side. Depending on your gelcoat colour, you can get pigment from any well stocked chandlery. You can generally get an exact match, or very close to it that it is hard to tell. Use Flowcoat only for the top coat not Gelcoat. Flowcoat layers onto the repair to build up then use the wet and dry sanding process to get your finish before cutting and polishing. Jim.

timeout
04-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Jim
I got everything from bias marine.:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2