PDA

View Full Version : Oil resistant silicon or Sika

ozscott
03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Anyone know of any readily available. I have plastic bungs in my trailer channels that need sealing to keep mineral oil in and water out...

Cheers

Dan5
03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Permatex RTV sealant would be the go i'd think mate..........it can be used as a gasket.

Dan

ozscott
04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks mate...thats their black goo from memory. Was thnking that might be the go but didnt know how well it would stick to plastic caps...

Cheers

stevemid
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM
If you want them in there permanently you could test the blue glue used for PVC pipes.

Chimo
04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi Oz

I also use the Dow Corning Silastic ie black formed in place gasket also an RTV Silicon rubber that I get from Repco.
Just got a new tube after the one I bought 10 yrs ago ran out! Seems to keep really well if sealed.

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Steve

The "blue glue" is actually a solvent cement that "eats" into the PVC which is why when you apply it you should only sparingly coat half the depth of the socket that the spigott end of the pipe is to be placed in. We tested the issue by putting too much "blue" in and the bead that formed at the end of the pipe when too much was applied caused the fitting to fail. Obviously worse the more pressure and "water hammer" that occurs. Sorry to digress but had to train plumbers years ago!!!

Cheers
Chimo

juggernaut
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Recommend stag as silicons break down and fall apart over time and especially if solvents are used for cleaning.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=63768&intAbsolutePage=1

Fed
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I think you're going to struggle with it scott, keeping the oil in there with any sort of 'glue' sounds like a nightmare to me.

Weeping, dripping and maybe even an unexpected gusher?

Could you weld a plate there then fit a bung in it or something?

ozscott
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I know what you mean man...I got to thinking the caps would be good but maybe too difficult. Might do a plate welded on with a bung down low instead.

Many thanks

juggernaut
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Or the stag jointing compound made for sealing threads.

http://www.dowson.co.za/products/jointing-compounds/stag-jointing-compound

ozscott
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Ended up with this. ...Excellent hot oil resistace apparently

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/01002327/silicone-ultra-grey-maxx-auto-34238

Cheers

WalrusLike
05-05-2013, 07:47 AM
That's just some sort of racist shite you got there Scott.

Says 'especially for Japanese engines'. What, are they more leaky? The wars been over for 70 years nearly. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

ozscott
05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
No its just the castings are so smooth compared to those in things like xc falcons....so they must be saying its sticky stuff:) I used it BTW and its sticky and hopefully lives up to what it says on the box about oil resistance

Cheers

juggernaut
06-05-2013, 09:29 AM
That's just some sort of racist shite you got there Scott.

Says 'especially for Japanese engines'. What, are they more leaky? The wars been over for 70 years nearly. :)

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Jap cars don't use gaskets in a lot of areas. For example the oil pan on my Nissan 200sx doesn't use a gasket or seal on the mating surfaces but you only apply the Nissan sealer. Nissan's red sealer is a lot like the stag i linked above. I've use the Nissan stuff and its been far superior to any silicons I've used as the silicons are prone to breaking down if fuels or solvents based degreasers come in contact with it.