PDA

View Full Version : express cavalier porpoies badely

justlovefishing
03-05-2013, 06:10 AM
does any one have the specs on a 4.9mt alloy express cavalier max hp etc
my son has one which has a 90hp 2 stroke yamaha on it. goes like a bat out of hell but porpoises bad when you start to trim up. in the next couple of weeks we are going to move the batteries and fuel tank away from the transom and put them mid ship to see if this helps. Have a feeling that the motor is too large as this is a very light boat. The motor height seem about right,

banksmister
03-05-2013, 06:28 AM
http://www.marinews.com/boating/boat-test/express-cavalier-5.2/375/

Here is a review on a 5.2
Down the bottom of the page it has 60hp.

STUIE63
03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Check your engine height as well

Chimo
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
J L F

The motor is about twice the recommended HP. Forget about insurance if there is ever an incident.
90HP was the max HP for the 5.6 m Express, 75HP for the 5.2m, 60HP for the 5m so your in the region of 50HP and 45 HP for your sons.
If hes not going to go down in HP tell him to ease up on the throttle and be happy. If hes a lead-foot be careful and like I said good luck with insurance.

Cheers
Chimo

Moonlighter
03-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Yes, enough said. Way overpowered. Motor too heavy for the boat as well. That will definitely cause porposing. As will a motor set too deep in the water.

Check to see if you can find a manufacturer's build plate somewhere on the boat - usually inside the transom. If you are lucky it might tell you the recommended max hp and engine weight. But I think others are on the mark - something aroung 50hp, maybe 60 at the most, would be the top end for that hull. 90hp would be stressing the transom well beyond design capacity, you would have to think.

justlovefishing
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
was thinking about trading the motor on a fifty hp yammie 2 stroke. the current motor has had almost $5000 on rebuild before he brought it 6 months ago. should be able to get a few grand for the 90. if anybody interested in the motor let us know what you think it s worth. have all the recipts from the local yammie dealer for the motor

banksmister
03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
If you want the facts about these boats pm snapperbasher, he used to make them.