PDA

View Full Version : evinrude e-tec EMM/computers

gazza2006au
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
has anyone had a e-tec EMM replaced? if so how much did the EMM cost and how much was labour? im asking on this forum seems to be more boaters in qld than down here,i have been quoted around $2600-$3000 to replace EMM and program it ive called BRP australia the technician advised me to go to another dealer
ordering a EMM from the states was on the board but after speaking to the guy at BRP he said it will come blank and no dealer will transfer the details from my old EMM
seems like robbery a EMM in the states is $1315 and cost 2 hours labour programing it :-?

LittleSkipper
01-05-2013, 09:39 PM
has anyone had a e-tec EMM replaced? if so how much did the EMM cost and how much was labour? im asking on this forum seems to be more boaters in qld than down here,i have been quoted around $2600-$3000 to replace EMM and program it ive called BRP australia the technician advised me to go to another dealer
ordering a EMM from the states was on the board but after speaking to the guy at BRP he said it will come blank and no dealer will transfer the details from my old EMM
seems like robbery a EMM in the states is $1315 and cost 2 hours labour programing it :-?

Strewth!! Thats one expensive part to replace on an outboard? But I guess the manufacturers here in Oz see us coming when breakdown time comes around? I bought a hydraulic steering kit from Florida in the U.S.

I know it's not an item that needs programming but my service provider still fitted it too my outboard/boat. I'd look into buying one O/S and find a service provider who will program it for you?

I wouldn't believe a word the clown from BRP has told you? He is only telling you what he wants you too hear so you spend your money in Oz.

Moonlighter
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Have you tried "DFI Technologies" in the States? I understand that they will repair/upgrade ETEC EMMs and send them back already programmed.

Worth checking if you haven't already.

Cheers

ML

Darren Mc
01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I had one replaced about 2 years ago. I was quoted about $3200 at the first place I went to. As if I was going to pay that, friggen robbers.
I was about 6 months out of warranty so I sent BRP an email asking for some assistance as my EMM had failed internally from a manufacturing fault.
To my surprise I got an email back saying that even though it was out of warranty that they would help me with a big discount on an EMM as a goodwill gesture.
From memory I think it was about $1300 all fitted and done. Big saving hey.
I don't own it anymore, after all this crap I sold the boat.

Ring Downes Marine in Bowen Hills on 32527719, they quoted me just over $2000, which was a lot better than $3200.

45 Allison Street
BOWEN HILLS
QLD AU 4006

Cheers

gazza2006au
02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Strewth!! Thats one expensive part to replace on an outboard? But I guess the manufacturers here in Oz see us coming when breakdown time comes around? I bought a hydraulic steering kit from Florida in the U.S.

I know it's not an item that needs programming but my service provider still fitted it too my outboard/boat. I'd look into buying one O/S and find a service provider who will program it for you?

I wouldn't believe a word the clown from BRP has told you? He is only telling you what he wants you too hear so you spend your money in Oz.
yeah the programming is the main thing as all the engines details get transferred including the engines ID, have been told BRP wont want my old EMM send back so i assume its the dealer who does the ID and everything else in the programing

Have you tried "DFI Technologies" in the States? I understand that they will repair/upgrade ETEC EMMs and send them back already programmed.

Worth checking if you haven't already.

Cheers

ML hey ML i already tried DFI they said they dont do e-tecs only the older model evinrudes

I had one replaced about 2 years ago. I was quoted about $3200 at the first place I went to. As if I was going to pay that, friggen robbers.
I was about 6 months out of warranty so I sent BRP an email asking for some assistance as my EMM had failed internally from a manufacturing fault.
To my surprise I got an email back saying that even though it was out of warranty that they would help me with a big discount on an EMM as a goodwill gesture.
From memory I think it was about $1300 all fitted and done. Big saving hey.
I don't own it anymore, after all this crap I sold the boat.

Ring Downes Marine in Bowen Hills on 32527719, they quoted me just over $2000, which was a lot better than $3200.

45 Allison Street
BOWEN HILLS
QLD AU 4006

Cheersthanks mate i sent a email off to BRP hopefully have a good outcome

Noelm
02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
what happens is... the settings for the injectors (called co-efficents I think) need to be backed up and restored in the new EMM, now if your old one is completely "dead" then this is impossible and requires a lot of messing about to get it to run properly, an EMM off the same model will work, but it wont be running to 100% efficiency. The injectors and the "computer" need to be matched, an authorised dealer does this for you, and it is done via a computer and special software, I do belive the software is available, along with the cable needed.

Two Rude
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
I replaced one on a 50hp that blew 4 days before my Xmas hols and cost approx $2200 to fix. happened the Xmas before last. They have to come from an Australian supplier as they need to register the details - hrs etc. Bit sh!t. I sold it 2 mths later and bought a Victory with a suzuki 175...... sorted.