PDA

View Full Version : Urban myth or not - travelling with clears rolled down

Dignity
29-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I always wondered if it was more efficient to travel with the front clears rolled down especially at highway speeds or just leave them up. When I used to do a lot of miles I always rolled them down figuring that it would be more efficient and even when I refueled after a trip always thought I put less in the tank for the same trip but never really got down to the tin tacks of working it out. The reason I am asking is that with the recent hulla bulloo with restrained loads, if I used my storm covers I would have less chance of attracting the attention of any revenue raisers but then the price I would pay is a little extra in fuel.

One thing I did notice is that the leading edge underside of the canopy were always dirty after a while and needed more cleaning so I figured that this edge was picking up a lot grime as we were driving.

wags on the water
29-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Before a big trip spray your clears and rocket launcher with silicon spray, then wipe off the bugs when you reach your destination. Now as far as travelling with clears up or down, I've done both and even folded down the targa altogether. You would want to have faith in the stitching to travel with the clears up. I saved about 3 L/100kms by rolling the clears up - less resistance.

Cheers

Dignity
30-04-2013, 08:27 AM
wags, that is a pretty significant saving given a round trip for me used to be around 250 kms, these days it is a 15 min run.

wags on the water
30-04-2013, 08:42 AM
When I towed the boat from Bris to Mackay, I folded the targa down completely - saved a fortune. Some say to remove the clears completely, but in doing so the clears give strength to the setup. The long distance trips are to 1770, Yeppoon, Mackay and Bundy.

WalrusLike
30-04-2013, 08:53 AM
My underpowered ute got a whole lot of extra horses when I folded the two part full length Bimini down.

It looked daunting but actually folds very easily and neatly down. A couple of minutes at the rigging area sees it back up.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Dignity
30-04-2013, 05:17 PM
it sounds like it is almost compulsory to fold down th ecanopy and clears but if you now add a travelling boat cover I wonder how much this will reduce any efficiency as these will create some additional resistance. The reason I am asking is that with the sudden appreciation of the rules and regulations to ensure that revenue still flows to this great state of ours (actually it is probably quite overdue that we boaties realise that we have the same requirmentsand responsibilities to secure our loads as any other tradie) I was looking at buying boat covers that can be used for travelling up and down highways which also helps in securing the loads within. I can manage with an extra couple of minutes at the ramp to ensure that other road users are safe from any thing that might fly out of my boats although one of my deckies thinks I'm nuts and wants to go to court and argue but I would rather not.

copie
30-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I normally fold my bimini down when towing and definatly for longer trips. My previos boat i picked up from sydney and i puy the bimini and clears in the cabin for the trip. Having said that I have owner a few boats and trimer has advised me to travel with all up giving it much more stability.

Mark

Tickleish
01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Never folded done canopy or rolled up clears. I leave them all on and have never had a problem.

Yes it probably uses more fuel but its worth it not to stuff about IMO.