PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp fines

Seahorse
28-04-2013, 07:28 PM
I was told the other day that the cops were down at nudgee ramp booking drivers who drove from ramp after puttingin their boats , to the car park and not aving their seat belt on.

Is that revenue raising?

Humdinger
28-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Definitely but people need to fill the courts fighting these bullshit fines to make it stop . If everyone just pays the fine they will keep doing it . Why not easy money .

Triple
28-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Page 256 - http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/T/TrantOpRURR09.pdf

I always thought you weren't required to wear one if reversing or driving under 25kph but that reads differently.

(yes plain bloody revenue raising as I do not see a seatbelt being any benefit in a 10kph crash in a carpark)

Triple
28-04-2013, 07:53 PM
And this in on the current vicroads website which I thought applied in qld? - Is it all based on Australia wide legislation or each state different?

Exemptions:
There are some circumstances in which a person may be exempt from wearing a seatbelt, such as when the driver is reversing the vehicle or is engaged in the door-to-door delivery or collecting goods or garbage and is travelling
under 25 km/h.

Edit - just noticed the "AND" part between section 267 Part 1 - sub section (A) part (ii) and (B).

Feral
28-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I always put my belt on when moving the empty trailer force of habit.

What I do worry about is the light board sitting in the back seat of the car when there is no boat on the trailer. Some busy ramps I'm well and truly driving the trailer on the public road to find a park with no lights or number plate.

marto78
28-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I can't see how they could fine you for not wearing a seat belt while driving in a public car park, if this was the case I dare say we would also have heard something about fines being handed out to all the cars parked in the 15min rigging bays and trailer bays.

It would seem more realistic to me that if people were being fined for no seat belt it would have been as they left the boat ramp and were driving down Nudgee Rd because forgetting to put it on after driving around in a boat without one for the last few hours is an easy thing to do.

Shelby35
28-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I always put my belt on when moving the empty trailer force of habit.

What I do worry about is the light board sitting in the back seat of the car when there is no boat on the trailer. Some busy ramps I'm well and truly driving the trailer on the public road to find a park with no lights or number plate.

People have been fined for not haveing the light board attached without going onto a road just coming up the ramp to park. Just revenue rasing for a broke govt.
Byron

Darren Mc
28-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Sounds like the cops haven't got much respect from the boating public anymore. Completely justified from what I've read in this thread and a few other threads at the moment. Why does everything they seem to be doing at the moment revolve around obvious revenue raising and not education and building a good relationship with the public while enforcing the law on the real idiot's when needed.

Off topic but kind of relevant.
I travel along Mount Cotton Rd Capalaba every day and quite regularly this dark green Mercedes speed camera van sit's there trying to catch people speeding. This particular day this same Mercedes van proceeded to pull out of the police station on Mount Cotton Rd in front of me which was fine. Then this cop pulled away from me doing 75km/hr in a 60 km/hr zone speeding through the very road that he police's in his camera van only to pull into the servo a few km's away. This had me seeing red, and I wanted to report it but I knew I would be wasting my breath for sure. If only I could have had it on video...
I didn't agree with speed camera's before this but after that I really hate the bastards now.

Good luck to you all and hope none of you have to deal with any shit coppers for a while.

cheers

tunaticer
29-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Open your imagination and think of all the things that we as boaties do in nature that could be taken to the line in a court of law.......somehow they are working their way down that list attacking the easy ones first. In the future we will need to have shrink wrapped the boat to obey the laws.