PDA

View Full Version : Covering your load in boat

gruntahunta
26-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Would you guys think this would be sufficient to securing my rods etc and satisfying the local nanny state coppers.

Chimo
26-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi GH

Should be fine except for the dash.

Maybe move the stuff off there as the towel? could fly off there and blind a cyclist / motor cyclist /car driver and cause them to have an accident!

What is the cover made from?

Cheers
Chimo

Dignity
26-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Pete, can you make me one too although I am not sure how you are going to catch those big bream with that shadecloth on there :P

Sandman
26-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Really? I haven't heard of any boat owner needing to cover while travelling!? Wouldn't surprise though.

gruntahunta
26-04-2013, 08:21 AM
I made it from shade cloth, have to put eyelets in it and proper connections.

Sandman, it is happening...people at ramps are emptying all contents of boat into car before driving off...what a pain in the ass as I have 1000 items in my boat.

astro66
26-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah looks good ...being shade cloth it shouldnt billow out like canvas when tralleling ...

Triple
26-04-2013, 08:52 AM
people at ramps are emptying all contents of boat into car before driving off...

Has anyone actually been fined for it? Contested it and still upheld by the court? Or is it all just scare tactics and urban myths... Plenty of tradies have been done in utes and some boaties done for no tie downs (I woud challenge this as the boat is secured by the safety chain for normal driving conditions) but anyone confirmed for unsecured loads for items in the boat?

Any legislation state that it must be secured for the event of an accident or only normal driving conditions?

tropicrows
26-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I now see a lot of utes with those elastic netting covers, so I am assume there some new law in place now ??? however surely not for boats ???

trymyluck
26-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I now see a lot of utes with those elastic netting covers, so I am assume there some new law in place now ??? however surely not for boats ???

Old law just being enforced more rigidly = more revenue. Theres been a few up here that have been warned so far that I know off.

Alchemy
26-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Fines have been imposed in NQ, and I would suggest that the elastic type nets or even your nice shade cloth cover may not save you. The cover needs to be able to effectively restrain/contain all items in your boat. Think about the amount of damage a flying esky could do if it came lose in an accident or some other reason.

The crack down up here has occurred due to a bait board coming loose from a boat being towed up the Bruce highway. The flying bait board caused an accident and I think(not sure) people were killed.

I don't see any reason for boaters to be treated any differently to ute and truck drivers; your load needs to be adequately restrained.

It takes me about an extra five minutes when launching and retrieving to secure my boat and contents. Not that much of a big deal really!

fishing111
26-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Has anyone actually been fined for it? Contested it and still upheld by the court? Or is it all just scare tactics and urban myths... Plenty of tradies have been done in utes and some boaties done for no tie downs (I woud challenge this as the boat is secured by the safety chain for normal driving conditions) but anyone confirmed for unsecured loads for items in the boat?

Any legislation state that it must be secured for the event of an accident or only normal driving conditions?

Pulled the below off Nuggets site.

Red

Just wondering where you got the trawl type net cover with shock cord edge from?

If anyone is interested there is a ""Load restraint guide" from the NTC (national transport commission ) to view online. Just google that and you should find it.

Also found this in a news article.

A MISCONCEPTION about unrestrained load laws is driving an increase in cargo net sales, and Rockhampton Autobarn’s Steph Stenhouse is among those retailers caught up in the trend.

Businesses have been struggling to keep up with the increase in sales, which Steph puts down to more customers trying to comply with supposed changes to load restraint laws.

“Our sales have nearly doubled. We sold around 70 last month,” Steph said.

The nets are made of a stretchable material and are used to easily and effectively secure items on the back of utilities and the roof racks of four-wheel drives.

But Senior Sergeant Ewan Findlater, of the Rockhampton Traffic Branch, said the story of changes to the law and police crackdowns were something of an urban myth.

“There have been no changes to the law. It is the same as it has been for many years,” Senior Sergeant Findlater said.

He said police had not made any special efforts to enforce compliance and that the number of people booked for unrestrained loads had not suddenly increased.

“I’ve heard a lot of different stories about police booking people around town for having a pair of gumboots or a carton of beer in their ute and that is not true,” Senior Sergeant Findlater said.

He is happy people were taking extra care, which he hoped may cut down on accidents.

The penalty for having an unrestrained load is $233, with no points recorded.

Rockhampton Morning Bulletin

cheers

Alf

Nicko_Cairns
26-04-2013, 03:34 PM
a guy from work got two fines, one for each boot in his ute (yep).

Feral
26-04-2013, 03:37 PM
We had a tradie lose a 4litre bottle of some sort of tile cleaner containing phosphoric driving through a road construction site. We ended up with a hazmat team on site, all the blokes at emergency, couldn't breathe, got hosed down by the Firies, then made to sit in the parking lot at the emergency ward (not allowed in to the emergency until hazmat team had cleared them) at 2am in the middle of winter. Boys ended up with rashes that took weeks to go away, they looked like they had a good sun burn.

Restraining your load is not a joke!

tropicrows
26-04-2013, 03:38 PM
a guy from work got two fines, one for each boot in his ute (yep).

I would be fighting that one in court, even if it's technically correct. sound like the police officer was having a bad day, or your mate gave him a mouthful.

tropicrows
26-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Here's the link to the guide. Happy reading you will need a couple of weeks

http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?documentid=00862

This ones a shorter version
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Load-restraint.aspx

WalrusLike
26-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't get the over reactions.... A bloke with unrestrained chemicals is one thing, but fishing rods laying down in a boat is entirely different.

If your reading this and planing on saying that if there's a rollover the boats contents will spill, then I've got two responses....

If there's a rollover, the flying one ton boat is a slightly bigger risk than a few stray flying rods.

Secondly, most, if not all restraint systems fail in those situations anyway. It's pointless nit picking to require restraints against rods that won't get out in normal operation anyway.

Don't get me wrong.... a small tinnie bouncing down the road with two foot of freeboard above the jiggling rods is not safe. But a solid 5 metre plus boat restrained to the trailer with rods inside it, is not a flying rod risk.

Where's the common sense? Restraints as required, no need for nannie state over zealous regulation enforcement.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Dignity
27-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I wasn't going to a restraining strap but then again there seems to be a push in every area to collect more revenue - has that come down from Can-do? I found a strap to go across the transom of the boat but found that there was nowhere easy to secure it on my trailer which was designed for driveon/drive off, there is a way to secure it but the main mechanism will rub against the hull, not good Jan. Probably need to buy a second one and join them in the middle somehow but figure this inot optimal either. Anyway when I did first put it on I had a good look at it and reckon as Walruslike says, at the first hint of the boat rolling there will be enough sidways movement for it to slip and be totally useless. I am still not sure what to do about securing the load, I might have to put the doors back on the cabin and store everything inside then my deckie can pull it all out while we are underway on the water.

Fed
27-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Now I'm driving with my ashtray shut in case one of those pesky unsecured bumpers flies out and hits a pedestrian.

astro66
27-04-2013, 09:33 AM
well what about when your under way .....hit a sand bank and everything is a leathal weapon...maybe they could fine everyone for that

petelaska
27-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Might need to install seat belts as well for the sandbank, but don't sink as seat belts could pull you down and life jackets will be useless.

CruiserV8100
27-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Had a number plate come off a car infront of me a few weeks back, dangerous object to let hit the car yet still dangerous to swerve to miss it and possibly hit another car or cause evassive action to other road users and a possible accident. If your fishing rod or any item does come free of your boat and it does cause damage or an accident, death or injury, you are responsible for your actions.

Muddy Toes
27-04-2013, 03:27 PM
So who here has actually lost a rod, esky, tackle box or anything else like that out of their boat whilst towing?

Dignity
27-04-2013, 04:47 PM
well what about when your under way .....hit a sand bank and everything is a leathal weapon...maybe they could fine everyone for that
That's why my boat is called Dignity, if I hit sandbank I can say I did it with Dignity :P - (It was already called that when i bought and found it was too difficult an exercise to chnge it)

QuinTin
27-04-2013, 06:28 PM
good point never have lost a thing in 34 years of fishing towing a boat never heard fishing rods had be secured laying on a floor in a boat have been pulled over by cops a few times with boat on back never said anything to me but have always had a strap over the boat no matter what boat size it is that's just common sense on the other hand i have seen people lose cushions out back off boats on highways etc
but sure most have the sense to pack their boats so things don't fly out on but if they want to fine me for driving with rods laying on floor in my boat they can do their best revenue LOL i still will for the next 34 years to :o

peterbo3
27-04-2013, 07:28 PM
There is also a little regulation that covers protruding loads. :o:o Anything that protrudes 1.2M or more behind your tail lights must display a high vis flag or similar. Any large engine will protrude at least this distance when tilted for trailering.
I got a bright orange prop cover which should comply.

gruntahunta
28-04-2013, 08:07 AM
That's it, just got done for not having items in boat secured... $200 per item....6 Rods, 2 cast net buckets, 6 life jackets, 1 safety gear container, 1 first aid kit, 1 tack.e box, 1 soft plastics box, 1 torch, 1Gaff, 1 landing net, 2 thongs, 2 paddles, 1spare prop, 6 bait buckets, 2 eskie s, 2 battery case lids, 2 knives in sheaths, 1 bag rags, 1 raincoat, 4 hats, 2 cans aerogard, 2 sunscreen bottles, 2 measuring fish rulers, 1 flushing motor muffs, 1 roll string for crab securing. 1 crab piercing tool, 2 crab measuring devices, 1 spare anchor....

That's 56 unsecured ties x $200 ---$112,000....looks like I will be selling boat to raise deposit to pay fine....thanks Mr Nanny state...

Dignity
28-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Pete, lucky they treated the rods and reels a single combo otherwise another $1200 for the reels :P

cro142
28-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Gruntahunta,
Well I'm glad they got you because you are a danger to the rest of us. How can any sane citizen behave as you have?
Just as well we've got the law to protect us from you.

LittleSkipper
28-04-2013, 09:19 AM
That's it, just got done for not having items in boat secured... $200 per item....6 Rods, 2 cast net buckets, 6 life jackets, 1 safety gear container, 1 first aid kit, 1 tack.e box, 1 soft plastics box, 1 torch, 1Gaff, 1 landing net, 2 thongs, 2 paddles, 1spare prop, 6 bait buckets, 2 eskie s, 2 battery case lids, 2 knives in sheaths, 1 bag rags, 1 raincoat, 4 hats, 2 cans aerogard, 2 sunscreen bottles, 2 measuring fish rulers, 1 flushing motor muffs, 1 roll string for crab securing. 1 crab piercing tool, 2 crab measuring devices, 1 spare anchor....

That's 56 unsecured ties x $200 ---$112,000....looks like I will be selling boat to raise deposit to pay fine....thanks Mr Nanny state...

Did they actually ping you for all 56 loose items & the supposed $112,000 fine or are you having a lend of us?

LittleSkipper
28-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Gruntahunta,
Well I'm glad they got you because you are a danger to the rest of us. How can any sane citizen behave as you have?
Just as well we've got the law to protect us from you.

I think this statement is a bit harsh? You might be next?

Alchemy
28-04-2013, 11:29 AM

cro142
28-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Hey little skipper,
My post was meant as a joke , as was the original, I assume!!!!

gruntahunta
28-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Lol Skipper...I do believe Cro was speaking with "tongue in cheek" as the saying goes...very funny.

gruntahunta
28-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Ok Alchemy, pls 4give me...it's only $11200.00...perhaps I should now go and buy a hard cover like a ute cover which I could screw on and off at the ramp!!!

The irony of the regulation is that I saw a bloke at the Eudlo boat ramp empty everything out of his boat and put it into his wagon......UNRESTRAINED ....a much higher chance of that causing an accident or injury than being in a boat. Do you strap ur tackle bag down or is it in the closed boot?

Alchemy
28-04-2013, 05:59 PM

gruntahunta
28-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Lol....I was bring facetious about the hard lid Alchemy....and Cargo net won,t work...smaller items would pass through them..

Humdinger
28-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Yeah Bruce carry one of those nets on ya boat they'll probably book you for fishing with it

Alchemy
28-04-2013, 07:05 PM

petelaska
28-04-2013, 07:28 PM
you could always go duck hunting with a hand full of splitshot sinkers in the boat if you hit a bump with that cargo net on.

gruntahunta
28-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Alchemy...u are the one who suggested the cargo net...I believe my shade cloth will keep everything in my boat...if everything was tied or strapped down one would not need a net...I comprehend that!

Crunchy
28-04-2013, 10:00 PM
"....."............s :-X

Alchemy
28-04-2013, 10:10 PM

Tangles
28-04-2013, 10:57 PM
have a look at the Gorilla nets

Dignity
29-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I travelled to the big city this morning and some of the things I saw on the Gateway was a poly water tank (I was towing an empty trailer but nowhere to stop), a jockey wheel on the gateway bridgeitself half way up and half a cupboard.

I fully understand the need for restrained loads but there doesn't seem to be a coordinated means of doing anything other than posting a gripe on a forum. I have worked out that on the big boat all I need to do is put the storm covers on but then I lose fuel efficiency as I travel with the front clears down (maybe that is an urban myth -oh! a new thread), but for the dinghy the missus does like her bimini up even though it causes all sorts of problems but I am sure for about $170 I can buy a boat cover that is trailerable, this will solve all issues although I would imagine ramp rage might increase slightly :P

snapperdan
29-04-2013, 08:22 PM
i believe there is someone down here in nsw currently serving time for loosing a few pots (black plastic ones for the garden not crabs) from the back of their ute.

Memory is hazy, happened 2 years or so ago. Pots left tray and sat on hwy. Person tried to dodge and multiple fatalities. Got the guy on cctv somewhere and the rest is history.

as i said memory is hazy. south coast somewhere.

Tangles
30-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Interested what people are doing regarding items in their cabins, especially those without bunks and doors, i have just open bins, a cargo net can easily go over the rear of the boat but it wont cover that far forward as have canopy etc.

Shark Poker
18-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Trimmers and Canopy makers are going to see a boom in business.
They can make tonneau style covers for the boat. And covers for the cabin doorway.
For boats scored outside, this would protect the interior from the weather as well.